Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy, 3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 AM
xlaziox
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tires are not great, but they are not unevenly worn. I almost find that comforting, because they are Michelins, and I think they may be the original tires, meaning nobody really drove the doors off of it. I chew up a set of tires in my infiniti coupe in a year. Like rears are bald in 12,000 mi, and that's without burning the back tires really, just a lot of spirited accelerating.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:19 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

If everything checks out then buy it. If you have to spend a little money and have an independent shop take a look at it and make sure there are no concerns. As others have mentioned, pull the service history, check with GM (you can do this online in a chat session) to make sure there are no warranty concerns, and if you have it inspected for issues/modifications I say buy it.

You have to understand people on this forum. Many of them buy these cars brand new, drive less than 5K miles a year, and then sell them quickly for another brand new one. I bought mine used in February and the car has been rock solid reliable.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That would be typical of just about every question asked on this forum. The best you can do is sift through the responses, and I think you'll find some are very credible, some so-so, and some devoid of logic.

There is no logical reason to avoid a 3-owner car on that basis alone if everything else checks out.
Ridiculously obvious. The point that people are making is to scrutinize the car more carefully because it has had 3 owners in a short period of time, as opposed to just 1 owner with 500 miles that Granny drove to church 100 times on Sundays and never exceeded 25MPH.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'd scrutinize that single-owner "Granny" car the same as I'd scrutinize the subject car here.

The only "logic" associated with 3-owner concerns is that the car has somehow been problematic, which is why the previous owners dumped it, and is pure idle speculation worth nothing. GMVIS is real documentation and will reveal any warranty problems that have occurred.

If you want good advice, publish the GMVIS report here, and if it looks good, ask the dealership to do a data dump on the ECM and certify it's never been tuned. Tell them you will purchase the car if they will certify in writing, that the car is completely OEM, never-tuned, no headers, no CAI, etc.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-18-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

I'd scrutinize that single-owner "Granny" car the same as I'd scrutinize the subject car here.

The only "logic" associated with 3-owner concerns is that the car has somehow been problematic, which is why the previous owners dumped it, which is idle speculation. GMVIS is real documentation and will reveal any warranty problems that have occurred.

If you want good advice, publish the GMVIS report here, and if it looks good, ask the dealership to do a data dump on the ECM and certify it's never been tuned. Tell them you will purchase the car if they will certify in writing, that the car is completely OEM, never-tuned, no headers, no CAI, etc.
could have predicted this response

This entire thread is "idle speculation".

And if you don't believe that a 3 owner car in that short time throws up more red flags than a 1 owner, then you're just being argumentative, oops, i mean "doing what you do for a living".

Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Perhaps, but let's see some data and end the idle speculation.

OP says answers are all over the map, which is true, but he hasn't provided the objective data that would allow informed folks to make a logical decision. Right now all we know is that it's a CPO car at a GM dealer, which has had 3 owners.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe I missed the year of this car somewhere along the way, but I will assume it is a first year C7 2014. Personally, I would not buy a 2014 just based on some of the bad reports from owners. Yes, they were all handled by warranty but that car had a lot of reported issues. Motor Trend did a long term evaluation of their car (40,000 miles) and the issues they had were horrible. The engine grenaded at 7,000 miles, starter motor went out at 21,000 miles, the 7 speed shifter kept popping out of gear, the infotainment screen had problems, etc. Not what you would expect from a 70K sports car. They replaced that car with a 2017 Grand Sport and they are currently doing the same long term testing right now. I can't wait to see the results of this.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,724 Likes on 5,600 Posts

The only "logic" associated with 3-owner concerns is that the car has somehow been problematic, which is why the previous owners dumped it, and is pure idle speculation worth nothing. GMVIS is real documentation and will reveal any warranty problems that have occurred.

Just my point. It's simply not typical for 3 different owners to dump a C7 over a three year period, and this should raise speculation as to why.

It's a great idea to have the car checked out, however that's no guarantee that issues will not be missed. One would hope at least any serious issue would be found but it's up to the skill and competency of the tech doing the inspection.

There's mention of a body panel fitment issue, indicating possibility of poor body repair. If car was wrecked and repaired by a Bubba's Body Shop there's a good chance that repairs aren't going to show anywhere.

As I stated earlier, why take risks on a car with these clouds hanging over when there's great C7s out there for sale without these worries and remaining warranty.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Everyone else has given you good advice on the features you need to confirm as operable and intact--no aftermarket tune, no engine mods, accident reports, jamb lines lining up, etc.

The 2014 came with a longer warranty; 6yr-100,000 as I recall. I think GM shaved a year and mileage off for the 2015s on, to 5yr-60,000, am I right, guys? If you're worried that the warranty's about to expire, you can buy an GMEPP warranty from Ken Fichtner on this forum. They're offered up to 7yr-100,000 from the date of your purchase, and will run ~$2300--there are two BIG exceptions, though-- in order to be eligible for this extended warranty, the used vehicle must have an "in-service date" no longer than 3yr old and the existing warranty can't be blocked. That is to say, the first time it was sold can't be longer than about "2yr and 51 weeks" from your buy date. Assuming you'd buy a warranty from Ken, you have to finalize your deal with him before the 3-yr anniversary of the "in service date". Any GM dealer can tell you if the existing warranty is still valid.

As far as previous owners go, let the car's condition dictate your decision... in 2011 I bought a 2003 c5z06 with 25,000 miles on it. Carfax listed NINE previous owners. Three were DMV transfers between dealerships (not consecutively); the rest were private party transactions. The first owner held it for 3-1/2 years and 11,000 miles. Two of the owners owned the car for less than a year; one of them for only 5 months. Two of the owners drove it less than 4,000 miles each. One dealer had it for over nine months.

The car is still 'immaculate'; I've changed the clutch for failing at 86,000. Aside from regular fluid changes, a set of brakes (at ~70,000), spark plugs, and tires, I've done nothing more in the way of repairs or maintenance. Oh. I had an idler pulley and harmonic dampener go out sometime last year I think it was. Now the car has 102,000 on it and still runs like a top. I spent ~$2100 for the extended GMEPP, and still haven't recouped my costs; Don't be afraid unless the condition or repair history is bad.

Last edited by dork; 10-18-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bsterling9
Maybe I missed the year of this car somewhere along the way, but I will assume it is a first year C7 2014. Personally, I would not buy a 2014 just based on some of the bad reports from owners. Yes, they were all handled by warranty but that car had a lot of reported issues. Motor Trend did a long term evaluation of their car (40,000 miles) and the issues they had were horrible. The engine grenaded at 7,000 miles, starter motor went out at 21,000 miles, the 7 speed shifter kept popping out of gear, the infotainment screen had problems, etc. Not what you would expect from a 70K sports car. They replaced that car with a 2017 Grand Sport and they are currently doing the same long term testing right now. I can't wait to see the results of this.
That's utter nonsense. The 2014 has been every bit as reliable as any other MY. Some say, more so since it has the very reliable A6 vs. the problematic A8. There have been very few reports of M7s popping out of gear in 14 or any other year, and it's usually operator error. The M7 in the 14 is identical to those in 18s and every other MY.

Yes, MT got a bad car, which exists in every MY. My 14 has had no warranty repairs other than the recall for the seat belt/passenger airbag software reflash, which involved several MYs, and a burned out interior bulb. My M7 has not once popped out of gear . . . ever.

The problem with car mag long-term reviews is that they are based upon one datapoint. Had they performed the long-term test with my car, it would have been a completely different article.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-18-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:17 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

That's utter nonsense. The 2014 has been every bit as reliable as any other MY. Some say, more so since it has the very reliable A6 vs. the problematic A8. There have been very few reports of M7s popping out of gear in 14 or any other year, and it's usually operator error. The M7 in the 14 is identical to those in 18s and every other MY.

Yes, MT got a bad car, which exists in every MY. My 14 has had no warranty repairs other than the recall for the seat belt/passenger airbag software reflash, which involved several MYs, and a burned out interior bulb. My M7 has not once popped out of gear . . . ever.

The problem with car mag long-term reviews is that they are based upon one datapoint. Had they performed the long-term test with my car, it would have been a completely different article.

that’s kind of a blanket statement that 90%+ of all owners of a 2014 would vehemently disagree. If any manufacturer would have a blanket problem as it was mentioned would not sell many cars. There are no perfect manufacturers nor perfect cars. Are there isolated lemons in every bunch of any cars, absolutely but we must be careful in making blanket statements. Should we point out the lemons, absolutely but to make One Car the poster child for thousands of others is absurd
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

KGrant,

I assume you're talking to poster #47 (BSterling), and yes I agree. I've seen multiple bad reports from every model year, but on the whole all MYs have been pretty reliable with the A8 bad torque converter problem in 15-17 cars being the most commonly reported issue.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:37 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

KGrant,

I assume you're talking to poster #47 (BSterling), and yes I agree. I've seen multiple bad reports from every model year, but on the whole all MYs have been pretty reliable with the A8 bad torque converter problem in 15-17 cars being the most commonly reported issue.
Yes my comments is in response to post #47! For some reason on my phone it didn’t allow me to reply directly to post #47i but will move when I get into the office. I agree with you 100%!
Old 10-18-2017, 01:57 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

That’s kind of a blanket statement that 90%+ of all owners of a 2014 would vehemently disagree. If any manufacturer would have a blanket problem as it was mentioned would not sell many cars. There are no perfect manufacturers nor perfect cars. Are there isolated lemons in every bunch of any cars, absolutely but we must be careful in making blanket statements. Should we point out the lemons, absolutely but to make One Car the poster child for thousands of others is absurd

Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Kraz8s
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

George Parker would like to talk to you...
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
Meant to be funny, forum mom
For what it's worth - I laughed
Old 10-18-2017, 02:36 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Eminitrader
For what it's worth - I laughed
Me too. And for the record, both my wife and I are on our third marriage. Took the previous two false starts, to get it right...

Get notified of new replies

To To buy or not to buy, 3 owners

Old 10-18-2017, 06:45 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,714 Likes on 2,999 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by sunsalem
If you can avoid it, don't buy a used car...it isn't worth the risk.
This is the kind of thing that can happen to those that do:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...just-blew.html
Well, I guess that I am one of the lucky ones, bought my C6 used & have had it for years with NO issues, that's right 0 issues, Lol
Old 10-18-2017, 07:50 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Good for you.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

pull the service history,

2 owners both dumping it in 3 mos I suspect the cars a problem child