Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
I don't get that at all...
Why would GM spend $$$ to have it on the Stingray, but NOT on the Z51 & Z06?
Why not save the $$$ and just omit it?
Air dams, in addition to proving downforce at high speeds, reduce drag. The Chevy Volt has a large air dam that has about the same low clearance as that on the Vette. Just like some Vette folks, they complain about it scraping! GM says it extends the mileage achievable. Assume that is folks buy a Volt for that reason as they don’t go 100 mph!

Tech Explanation; for Inquiring Minds:
Air Dams reduce the amount of air going under the car. That reduces the drag as it goes over the rough underside suspension, engine, etc parts. Overcoming drag is what takes energy. The amount of drag is proportional to the car speed squared.

The GM chief aerodynamicist stated drag has a significant effect at highway speeds. He also said at speeds above 100 mph an air dam creates downforce as more air is directed above the front of the car and less under (or reduces lift, depending on the car.)

Some who don’t like the air dam “looks” or listening to it scrap on driveways (they are designed to scrape and bend) justify removing by saying they don’t go 100+ mph. However it is added to help with mpg at highway speeds. GM may not care how much gas you save but it helps their corporate fleet mpg goal!

The side air dams deflect some air around the front tires, a significant contributor to drag. They do not provide any lift reduction or downforce so they are on all C7 models.

I try to separate the simple reason from the tech facts that cause some to roll there eyes!

I know some appreciate the tech explanations and where MATH is not considered a 4 letter word! For those who don’t, just skip that extra section, like I do the cooking section of the newspaper.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-19-2017 at 10:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ricks327 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:08 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Jerry, great info. I'm wondering how this factors into the idea that removing the air dam increases air flow to the brake cooling ducts on Z51s, etc? Interesting stuff: air dam reduces drag at hwy speeds and increases downforce at 100+, but also restricts air flow to the front brakes via the ducts on Z51s, GSs, and Z06s, as I understand it...
Old 10-20-2017, 02:30 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Actually, on the base A8, one of the rear quarter vents is functional for cooling the tranny. On the M7 base both are not functional.

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
As others have said, the Z-51 (visually) is slightly different by:

1. The air dam in front.
2. Slotted rotors.
3. Wheels (but these can be ordered from the factory)
4. Rear spoiler (but this can be ordered from factory)
5. Rear vents are functional on the Z51, not on the non-Z51.

Quick Reply: New C7 Owner Question