Sponsored by:

C7 winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 05:56 PM
TFE
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 winter tires

Anyone have a line on a make of tires that can be used in the colder months?
Old 10-23-2017, 05:37 AM
gtam85
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Michelin makes the Pilot Alpin PA4 in Z06/GS sizes, otherwise you can check out the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 in base/Z51 sizes.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires 275/35R19 and 305/30R20 for my Grand Sport. They are slightly narrower than stock sizes but will fit just fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by daixloxbmw:
cspnboy (10-24-2017), JerryU (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I have been running BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S for a year now, they are awesome in the cold and 90% of the original tires in the summer... Great for daily diving in Oklahoma...

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...rce-comp-2-a-s
The following users liked this post:
malexand123 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

OP, can you clarify as to what you're looking for? Your thread title specifically asks for winter tires but depending on where you live, your needs can be very different than ours.

If you're just looking for something that can be driven in colder temps but little to no snow and ice, many of the all season tires recommended here will suffice. Plus, all seasons can also be driven year round so you can save some money by only owning a single set of tires but your grip will be compromised in the warmer months compared to your stock summer tires.

However, if you're looking for something that will be driven on some light snow and ice, you'll want a winter tire. These should only be used in the winter so you'll need to buy an additional winter set, on top of your existing summer set and swap them out.
JerryU (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
OP, can you clarify as to what you're looking for? Your thread title specifically asks for winter tires but depending on where you live, your needs can be very different than ours.

If you're just looking for something that can be driven in colder temps but little to no snow and ice, many of the all season tires recommended here will suffice. Plus, all seasons can also be driven year round so you can save some money by only owning a single set of tires but your grip will be compromised in the warmer months compared to your stock summer tires.

However, if you're looking for something that will be driven on some light snow and ice, you'll want a winter tire. These should only be used in the winter so you'll need to buy an additional winter set, on top of your existing summer set and swap them out.
I have a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires 275/35R19 and 305/30R20 for my Grand Sport. They are slightly narrower than stock sizes but will fit just fine.

The Sottozero are what BMW, Ferrari etc owners, use on the Autobahn in the winter. That would be my choice if I lived “up North.”

Had winter snow tires mounted on separate wheels for most cars I owned before moving South 30 years ago. My last “Northern car” was a Dodge Colt Turbo when we were living in CT. At the time CT didn’t believe in using salt and with the hills on the CT/NY border where I lived, sliding on ice with front wheel drive was no fun! Did a plus 1 with warmer weather Pirelli tires and put winter tires on the narrower OEM wheels. When going downhill on icy roads often used the emergency brake with the button held in. That was also a good way when driving aggressively making a turn!

Slightly narrower tires are a good idea on a Grand Sport!

PS: OP doesn’t say where he lives but in Eastern SC, no need for alternate tires when “it’s cold.” When below 45 F I put it in Weather Mode, which has the nannies coming on sooner. After ~5 miles tires heat up and good traction returns so it was back to Sport Mode in my 3 1/2 year old Z51. Expect to do the same when I drive my Grand Sport this winter.

Seldom have to drive when below 40 F although have driven when the car sat outside for ~4 hours at ~30F. Used Weather Mode for ~10 miles than tried Sport on a wide turn with no traffic. Rear slide out a bit with only modest throttle. Back to Weather Mode and drove home just fine that evening. When 35 F or less will use the wife’s SUV!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-23-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Here in Reno, NV, get on average about 23" of snow. The BFG Comp 2 A/S are a good choice, but the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 is better if you get snow. The BFG's ratings are just slightly above the Conti. in dry conditions, but the Conti. is much better in snow and ice.

I ran the Conti's. on my 2015 Mustang GT and loved them, so I went with those on the Vette too. I told the guy at Discount Tire I decided to stick with Cont. because they have the exact same tire size as the factory Michelin tires where as the BFG didn't have the same size for the rear tires. The guy from Discount said the Conti. was a better tire anyway so I was happy to go that way. The BFG's are a little less expensive, but that didn't really matter because keeping the Vette safe is more important to me than saving a few bucks and having an incident on the road.

I remember on the Mustang 6G forums, there were a number of people that ran both tire brands and everybody seemed to like which ever tire they were running. In the end, I think either would serve well. Both tires are in the UHP A/S category.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:05 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Run Pirelli Sotozero's on my Boss Mustang.
Sizes are about the same as my C7.
3 yrs & never stuck in Michigan winters.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:24 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

People keep mentioning narrower tires. Does that mean people are using spacers for their winter set of wheels/tires? And when I look up the sizes for Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, don't see 245/35r19. Am I missing something?

Last edited by ~Stingray; 10-23-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:31 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Hats off to those of you who would be brave (or nuts) enough to drive a Corvette in "winter" conditions! I wish you all the best of luck with it - regardless of tire choice. My 2017 Stingray will be hibernating in the garage if we get any inclement weather (which we do in Virginia - but not all that much).

My 2015 Nissan Altima is a front-wheel-drive sedan that is excellent in the snow with its all-season Hankook Optimo tires.

Years ago, I know that there was a tire called "Blizzak" (Bridgestone?) that was supposed to be awesome for rear-drive cars in winter conditions.

P.S. I have had four Mustang GT coupes over several years and they were awful in the snow. Picture a duck on ice.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by JK 23112

Hats off to those of you who would be brave (or nuts) enough to drive a Corvette in "winter" conditions! I wish you all the best of luck with it - regardless of tire choice. My 2017 Stingray will be hibernating in the garage if we get any inclement weather (which we do in Virginia - but not all that much).

My 2015 Nissan Altima is a front-wheel-drive sedan that is excellent in the snow with its all-season Hankook Optimo tires.

Years ago, I know that there was a tire called "Blizzak" (Bridgestone?) that was supposed to be awesome for rear-drive cars in winter conditions.

P.S. I have had four Mustang GT coupes over several years and they were awful in the snow. Picture a duck on ice.
Blizzaks on my 2006 rear drive mustang!! I love them and I love doing donuts in them when the snow is fresh. But, for real, they are great for winter driving.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:07 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
I have been running BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S for a year now, they are awesome in the cold and 90% of the original tires in the summer... Great for daily diving in Oklahoma...

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...rce-comp-2-a-s
Cowboy, I had these on my Challenger, great tires, but they are non run flat. So if you get a flat you are stuck?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
People keep mentioning narrower tires. Does that mean people are using spacers for their winter set of wheels/tires? And when I look up the sizes for Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, don't see 245/35r19. Am I missing something?
No need to use narrow wheels to run smaller than OEM section with tires.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TFE
Anyone have a line on a make of tires that can be used in the colder months?
Michelin Alpin PA4 are the standard winter tires.I have them and no problems so far.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:05 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agree the Michelin Alpin PA4 is available all the way up to GS/Z06 sizes, if you really need actual winter tires. The only limitation to driving a C7 in snow is if the snow is too deep, but most major roads are cleared with a day or so. It's no different than driving any other vehicle in snow with proper tires.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-24-2017 at 12:09 AM.
cspnboy (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 05:50 PM
xlaziox
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best tires for driving RWD Corvette in winter

...are on a car that isn't a rear wheel drive death trap... Plenty of junker backup cars that are far safer than a RWD vette for cheaper than the cost of winter tires for a vette. https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...359398293.html
Let's be realistic. Driving a vette when temps drop below freezing and there is any kind of precip is just asking for trouble. Don't get dead because you have no logic center in your brain.
JK 23112 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:39 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

^^ That is why I have an Altima as my DD/beater. ^^

Get notified of new replies

To C7 winter tires

Old 10-24-2017, 08:36 PM
cspnboy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't mind - what wheels are those and where did you get them?
Thanks.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 PM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by xlaziox
...are on a car that isn't a rear wheel drive death trap... Plenty of junker backup cars that are far safer than a RWD vette for cheaper than the cost of winter tires for a vette. https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...359398293.html
Let's be realistic. Driving a vette when temps drop below freezing and there is any kind of precip is just asking for trouble. Don't get dead because you have no logic center in your brain.
Did you fall of your rocker or is your logic center malfunctioning?

Your saying a rear wheel drive vehicle can't and shouldn't be driven in the winter, hmmmm my truck and Corvette would disagree with you
Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I’ve driven my last 3 corvettes in winter weather. I run conti dws tires and are very pleased with them. Frankly you would be amazed at how well the car goes in up to 3 o4 inches or until clearance becomes an issue.

I’ve even put the conti stingray tires on my z using spacers just for a better look

Each to their own but I bought the car to drive. I’m not worried about the next guy getting a low mileage waxer.
Biker 911 (09-19-2020)

Quick Reply: C7 winter tires