Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased Used C7 with Factory Warranty... Found tune after/warranty void

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

^^^^ I was wondering the same thing - what bolts were referred to?

Is there an easy way for someone who is looking at a used C7 to get a dealer to check to see if it's ever been tuned? I know it's most likely a small percentage of cars that are ever tuned, but if it's easy to check it would be a good idea.

OP, best of luck in getting some sort of relief. I'm with others that believe that the selling dealer most likely didn't know the car had been modified, but if they sold it to you representing that it had the remainder of the factory warranty they should accept some responsibility.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:18 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

I'd ask the dealer you bought it from to do the repair and share the cost. I think you pay for the parts and they eat the labor. I'd also ask if you can then have a warrantee put back on the car......
Old 10-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The dealer should step up and help you. If the dealer bought this car at a Manheim owned auction and the car was sold with no announcement about tune or performance upgrades the dealer may be able to take the car back to the auction for refund.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:09 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't know, usually it is Buyer Beware. If I'm going to spend 5 digit figure on a car I will definitely make sure it is cleared by a GM dealer.

Engine was probably failing when the original owner traded it in. Last dealer thought he had a deal so bought it.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

If the dealer you purchased it from certified the car, then it's on them for not catching this. I would put this back on them to handle. Good luck, let us know what happens.
The following users liked this post:
dpb (10-28-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12

Is there an easy way for someone who is looking at a used C7 to get a dealer to check to see if it's ever been tuned? I know it's most likely a small percentage of cars that are ever tuned, but if it's easy to check it would be a good idea.

OP, best of luck in getting some sort of relief. I'm with others that believe that the selling dealer most likely didn't know the car had been modified, but if they sold it to you representing that it had the remainder of the factory warranty they should accept some responsibility.
I'm guessing lowering bolts.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:29 PM
amelen
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck with this, but I've seen similar situations that didn't end well. If you bought from a GM dealer, you'd have a better case with GM corporate. I had an issue with an almost-new CPO Audi A7 and Audi corporate stepped up only because it was purchased from an Audi dealer and was CPO.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:49 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Here is the key words "from a non GM dealer, out of town" was it a major brand dealer or a Used car lot? How far out of town are you talking. If you could prove the tune was done prior to your purchase I would think it's on the selling dealer, but you need some way to prove that point.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Depending upon your state the AG's office may help you through a consumer fraud complaint. Sometimes getting the state office involved is enough that a dealer will unroll the deal rather than fight.

GM has rolled out what may well be an uncrackable ECM on the newest line of Duramax diesel pickups and they will soon roll it out across the other lines. This will be a double edged sword because although it will offer more protection to used car buyers from getting a nasty surprise it will also make it very difficult for owners to modify.

Although getting a dealer to inspect the car prior to purchase should uncover modifications you need to make sure that the inspecting GM dealer (and not some other shop) actually goes through the same process that they would when getting authorization for a major powertrain warranty repair. Otherwise you may get a quick look that says "all OK" when in fact it has been tuned and if they miss it you are still screwed because 3 months later when it fails the shop will claim it was tuned in the interim. Get a record of the same snapshot data sent to GM for warranty authorization. Of course any signs of engine work without corresponding warranty records, headers, missing cats, etc. are a huge red flag. Note that aftermarket warranties ride on top of the existing factory warranty and if the underlying warranty is blocked by GM then anything riding on top of it is also void so a third party warranty is also worthless on a modified vehicle.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:09 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
GM has rolled out what may well be an uncrackable ECM on the newest line of Duramax diesel pickups and they will soon roll it out across the other lines. This will be a double edged sword because although it will offer more protection to used car buyers from getting a nasty surprise it will also make it very difficult for owners to modify.

Yup.

I heard about this being in the works.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

FWIIW, I purchased my used '13 C6 from a non-GM dealership and the pre-purchase inspection was done by a Chevy dealership. Part of PPI included a diagnostic check to confirm that the car was set to factory specs and had never been tuned as of the date of the inspection. Also requested printed documentation to substantiate findings. Car was set to factory specs and no history of previous tune. $200 well spent since the car had about 8 months of factory warranty remaining. Hope this helps.

OP, terribly sorry to hear about your situation and hopefully you will be able to achieve a satisfactory resolution...
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Yes, they can tell if the PCM has been tuned, even if it has been returned to stock tune.
Very true and I think you are screwed on this. Go back to the selling dealer and see if they will stand behind the car since they sold you it with the understanding it had a warranty.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Not if you change the ECM.

Which is what I'd be doing if I were so inclined to tune it.
No I don't think it is that easy!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:20 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Mods = bolt-ons!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Not if you change the ECM.

Which is what I'd be doing if I were so inclined to tune it.
It doesn't work this way. In order for a new ECM to function in a C7, it must be programmed by GM's network computer using the vehicles vin. This can no longer be done with a Tech 2. Since this can only be done at a dealership, there will a record of an ECM replacement in GM's computer network. No dealer will replace your ECM just because you ask him to. Also, the ECM must be married to the BCM which is another issue altogether.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:14 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Buying used sports or perfomance cars is risky, as I've said here before. You pay your money and take your chances. Genuinely sorry to hear your plight, but...
Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Yaupon
FWIIW, I purchased my used '13 C6 from a non-GM dealership and the pre-purchase inspection was done by a Chevy dealership. Part of PPI included a diagnostic check to confirm that the car was set to factory specs and had never been tuned as of the date of the inspection. Also requested printed documentation to substantiate findings. Car was set to factory specs and no history of previous tune. $200 well spent since the car had about 8 months of factory warranty remaining. Hope this helps.

OP, terribly sorry to hear about your situation and hopefully you will be able to achieve a satisfactory resolution...
That dollar figure for having a GM dealer tech check the car's computer for tune is close to what I had in mind as to cost and answer to Hopper's question. As said above by Yaupon, it's probably small number of cars that have a tune, but if it's the one you buy it can turn out badly.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:50 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I commend you on your manner. You got served some lemon and instead of drama you're moving ahead and making lemonade!
You can see I’ve been on this forum for a long time. Haven’t posted too much overall, but I’ve done an extensive amount of reading and have learned an awful lot. I’ve seen many cases similar to mine and the OP here. I’m not a complainer, so I simply am doing what needs to be done to get my car back. I just think it’s comical that I’m getting the setup I am for similar or less money than a gm crate motor. Maybe the OP will look into tsp also..
Old 10-28-2017, 06:54 AM
yetman
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Oops! Sorry, but you're screwed. Doesn't matter if you did not do the tune yourself. It was tuned, therefore warranty is blocked. Not the first time this has happened.
Happened to me before. It stings a bit, when you get the bill and no warranty there to kick in.

Quick Reply: Purchased Used C7 with Factory Warranty... Found tune after/warranty void