Sponsored by:

Trailer Towing C7 lowered with U-Haul

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:55 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Trailer Towing C7 lowered with U-Haul

Wanted to post this up for others - I was looking for info and found lots here, but wanted to share a bit more about the uhaul trailer and a C7.

I have a 16 Z06, lowered all the way down on factory bolts. Here are just a few things I found about towing with the uhaul trailer.

Must back onto trailer - the tire stop is just too high for the front of the car and with a lowered one, the rear valance needed to be gently held up 1/2" (bends with finger easily from helpers) to clear and all good. (dont forget to have help removing in the same way)

Some said 1/4" room on tires, I have the cup2 tires on standard Z06 wheels, its a bit more room than that but not much. I just trusted my spotter and followed his direction and all was good.

Front lip - I backed the trailer to a driveway with a decent slope, ramps are long and helpful. still needed about 2 feet of 2x12 to lift the front up to not grab the trailer with the spoiler dam. wasnt bad, just take time and have qualified helper.

Tie Down - the uhaul tire strapping system works really nice actually. Make sure you lay out the straps before backing over them I put the car in park and the ebrake on. I know people will argue back and forth on that, but this was how I chose to do it since I was able to back up hard on the stops in the rear. Front I just used a single long ratchet strap with rags on the wheels, ran it through each wheel and ratched down tight. Nothing attached to the car itself, just the wheels are held tight. Took for a shake down on a bumpy road and double checked all straps.

Thats it - hope this helps someone in the future. And the surge brakes on the uhaul trailer are very impressive, nothing sketchy about braking with this setup.....

Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
edved (09-11-2018)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:59 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

lol - guess it would help to tell you how I got out of the car.

The fender that folds down is on wrong side when you back in, but you would have to remove part of it anyway. Backing in we had removed the passenger side trailer fender (all 7 bolts, took 2 minutes with dewalt impact) that allows door to open enough to get out. put the fender back on and voila!

In the case of a convertible, its simple getting back in, just drop the top with the remote and climb in - with a coupe you would have to remove fender again at the destination.

The following 2 users liked this post by MAXXPSI:
Gisela (06-20-2019), Rand1993 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:12 PM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

How much clearance is there between the door and the trailer fender? From the pics it looks like one lopsided bump in the road is all it would take to leave a nice mark on one or both sides of the C7...
Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Ha Ha, thought you meant a C7 towing a trailer.
I saw a C5 towing a boat yesterday. Couldn't get my phone out quick enough to take a pic.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Great job crap not much room at all on the side walls of the tires & rims. Robert
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan
How much clearance is there between the door and the trailer fender? From the pics it looks like one lopsided bump in the road is all it would take to leave a nice mark on one or both sides of the C7...
5.5" from fender to each door, but keep in mind the tires are in a railed channel with about an inch or less. so for that scenario to happen the car would jump up 2.5" out of the channel, over 5" to hit the door and would be un-imaginable damage to many other parts of the car. just tie it down door cant touch unless someone opens and slams it into the fender.
The following users liked this post:
Gisela (06-20-2019)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:59 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by robert miller
Great job crap not much room at all on the side walls of the tires & rims. Robert
right?!?! watching that close also - the rain holes on the trailer are inverted louvered though, so would be tough for any movement at all - more likely just tearing up the cup tires
Old 11-13-2017, 05:59 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by Fcal
Ha Ha, thought you meant a C7 towing a trailer.
I saw a C5 towing a boat yesterday. Couldn't get my phone out quick enough to take a pic.
if you ever find that let me know, would love to see that accomplished with a c7!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

Might want to put some mud flaps on the truck, those A\T tires will throw rocks!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by Makitso
Might want to put some mud flaps on the truck, those A\T tires will throw rocks!
thanks - made a harbor freight moving blanket into a rear guard on the car
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

holding the blanket on was a challenge for a moment...... all fixed
Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The front tire stoppers have an extension that's very easily removable. Once removed, you can drive in with front first in, which also solves the problem of hitched fender being on the wrong side.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:30 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I tried shrink wrap on my motorcycle taking it out to AZ. Did not last......

Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by X25
The front tire stoppers have an extension that's very easily removable. Once removed, you can drive in with front first in, which also solves the problem of hitched fender being on the wrong side.
went down that mental route also - the issue is the hitched fender has a secondary support above the trailer tire line that would have also had to have been removed. Its what the chains for the hitched fender attaches to. Quite sure there are many ways to skin this cat though for sure - just sharing what I did.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I tried shrink wrap on my motorcycle taking it out to AZ. Did not last......

that sucks... I see a lot of vertical wraps of the shrink wrap? I did as much horizontal as possible to keep the wind from grabbing the wrap and pulling on it. Going with the flow of the air and keeping all ends of the wrap heading on the re-ward direction might have helped it last longer. How far did you make it with your wrap style before starting to lose it?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 AM
GTX JOHN
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 96 Posts

With the front bar removed (replaced before trailer returned
to U Haul and a couple 2x4s when loading/ unloading my 2015 went on
and off with no drama. Towed from Nevada to Wisconson last month for
the new buyer of the car by my Motorhome which he also graciously purchased
from me.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Towing C7 lowered with U-Haul

Quick Reply: Trailer Towing C7 lowered with U-Haul