Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things no one tells you about driving a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:37 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

The image URL in the news article linked in the original post says "lambocrash".
Old 11-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaolsen
Your insurance won't pay to fix your car if you're drunk.
Obviously you don't know anything about car insurance. How about reading your policy.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 AM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
While I truly feel sorrow for your widowed sister, the plural of anecdote is not data. Drunk driving is bad and especially sad when people are hurt or killed, but in many, many cases, drunk driving did not hurt anybody else.

You love to take the devils advocate approach to everything right?

Everyone knows the result of driving impaired. If you choose to do it, its absolutely intentional. You did not slip and fall into the drivers seat of a car. Your logic only makes sense if you love to argue. So it makes sense.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
A little faster and it could have been fatal...too bad it wasn't.

One less oxygen thief on the loose.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:58 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by falconhulk
You love to take the devils advocate approach to everything right?
No, only when I believe the devil's advocate approach is actually the right one. Otherwise I say nothing.

Everyone knows the result of driving impaired. If you choose to do it, its absolutely intentional.
No it is not. And generally the law disagrees with you. That's why we have the category of involuntary manslaughter for when intent cannot be proven.

You did not slip and fall into the drivers seat of a car.
No you didn't slip and fall into the driver's seat. But that's pretty much irrelevant and you know it.

Your logic only makes sense if you love to argue. So it makes sense.
BS. Your argument only makes sense because you act on emotions instead of thinking.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I too am very surprised the air bags did not deploy since the front end is totaled which means it was a hard hit.
Not at all a hard hit, as you can tell because the front end isn't pushed back. Sure, the hood seems to be peeled off, but the C7 went under the SUV and came to a stop over a longer distance and much less violently than if it had hit something solid.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by witch hunt
Hypothetically, what if the person driving a vehicle was merely severely distracted when they had the accident and killed your family? Maybe texting or eating or screwing around with the stereo? They certainly didn't intend to wreck & kill or injure anyone and it could easily occur when that person is stone cold sober. It is simply an accident and the guilty party used poor judgement that they would be very sorry for.

No difference for DUI---maybe they planned on having a quick pop after work, but used poor judgement and had 3 or 4, then with a mind clouded with the alcohol decided to try & slip home(again just poor judgement) instead of getting another ride. Certainly had no intention of wrecking or hurting anyone.

Bottom line--I'm sure breath interlock devices could be mass-produced as std equip on vehicles for less than $40.
On a cost-benefit basis it would make a lot more sense to have automated braking on vehicles, I think. It would prevent way more collisions than any breath interlock.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:03 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
Wow. I am very shocked their was no airbag deployment. If that does not warrant an airbag deployment, I am not sure what would.

As for Drunk drivers...they don't learn. If that drunk driver died, then that would be one less person to worry about taking out other people in the future. Drunk driving should be a lifetime driving ban.
Unfortunately with our current legal system these things are not cut and dry.

In most states you can get a "lessor" drunk driving offense with as little as a .02 in your system. This basically is one drink, or even less if you are a person on a smaller side. So it's rather easy for a person to get one. However, people who find this out the HARD way usually never do so again.

On the flip side, multi-offense drunk drivers are cut a lot of breaks. So that while in my state TECHNICALLY a 3rd time offense is a felony no one ACTUALLY gets charged with a 3rd time offense, most of those are plead down to a second or go to a thing called "sobriety court" where there are unique punishments dolled out.

The solution would be to make the system cut and dry, and spell out that any drink is one too many (not this advertised .08 bull crap), and then make it a 6 month license suspension for the first offense, and revocation for the second.

Once I found out about the .02 limit and the lessor offense, I've never gotten into a car with even one drink. You just can't, it's not worth it.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
There wasn't much a front end impact since it went under the SUV, and the sensors weren't triggered. I'm not surprised they didn't deploy, and they wouldn't have helped in an accident like that even if they had.
20 mph faster and he would be headless
Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by fourmat
20 mph faster and he would be headless
Not that it would have reduced his IQ at all.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

The Corvette’s driver was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I have to admit I do not understand this sentiment. When a driver drinks and then drives, he may have made a mistake, but he had no intent to wreck his car or to cause any harm.

A murderer, on the other hand, not only commits the act of murder, but intended to do so. It was not an accident and therefore the murderer is much more culpable.

Any way you want to cut it, a DUI is still an accident and while punishment is appropriate, wishing death on a drunk driver is wholly inappropriate
Sorry, you're wrong. The DUI murderer makes his decision to kill when he (a) decides, while sober, to drink knowing he will drive, and reaffirms that decision later when drunk by actually doing it.

A DUI collision is not an accident, it's a crime. It's an act of ultimate self-indulgence inflicted upon innocents. I do wish death upon them before they kill a little kid or soccer mom, if that's what it takes to stop them. It's not much a punishment as preventative. If caught after the fact, I do not advocate the death penalty. Maybe for a second offense...

I have never driven drunk. Not once. Not a little. Ever. There's no excuse. No one ever needs to. Period.

Last edited by davepl; 11-17-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:50 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Sorry, you're wrong. The DUI murderer makes his decision to kill when he (a) decides, while sober, to drink knowing he will drive, and reaffirms that decision later when drunk by actually doing it.

A DUI collision is not an accident, it's a crime. It's an act of ultimate self-indulgence inflicted upon innocents. I do wish death upon them before they kill a little kid or soccer mom, if that's what it takes to stop them. It's not much a punishment as preventative. If caught after the fact, I do not advocate the death penalty. Maybe for a second offense...

I have never driven drunk. Not once. Not a little. Ever. There's no excuse. No one ever needs to. Period.
It's not that cut and dry. Just because you have a drink doesn't mean your impaired. You are making the assumption all drivers once they consume any alcohol are totally impaired and know this and are willfully going out on the road.

Like most things there is a gray area. Not drinking is obviously very clear. Going to a party and having a drink, I'd say is within the margin of error and still an accident. A second drink? Well that is less likely an accident, and more likely intent. After a third drink, you're right they shouldn't get in a car.

Then problem though isn't the driving, its the culture of drinking, and the idea that we can have "only one" and still go on the road. If the limit was actually .02 or .03 no one would drink and then drive. Even if they are not impaired until .08 or .10, because legally it would not be allowed. Alcoholics and drunks are a different story, they have a medical issue and will drive regardless, but I'm talking about "social" or casual drinkers.

Regardless, the worst you could argue for even with your logic of murder is second degree, and more likely it would be manslaughter as in while you were grossly negligent and doing something with could contribute to death, you didn't premeditate the murder of that specific person. First degree murder doesn't just mean pre-meditation of the act, it means pre-meditation of the subject as well.

I understand people who have lost a loved one to a drunk driver feel strongly, but look at it from other points of view. Do you think people who recklessly drive or excessively speed should face the same punishment? How about people who are distracted texting or browsing the web? Those latter two I can argue are actually more dangerous and even more negligent than drinking and driving. The issue is, for those the "object" which causes them is not socially acceptable to blame. Alcohol is an easy scapegoat right now. I think this will be changing (if you look at alcohol consumption of Millennials it is staggeringly high).
Old 11-17-2017, 04:38 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

[QUOTE=As for Drunk drivers...they don't learn. If that drunk driver died, then that would be one less person to worry about taking out other people in the future. Drunk driving should be a lifetime driving ban.[/QUOTE]

This is complete and total bullshit. This country is full of one time DUI's who learned their lesson and never have done it again. It's also full of former problem drinkers who have quit for long periods of time and learned to live happily without alcohol (35 yrs in my case) Not everyone is alike or deserves to be painted with the same brush.

Sure are a lot of self righteous stereotypers on this thread...

Last edited by AZ99FRC; 11-17-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:44 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

... Just waiting for the parts to be listed.

Too soon ?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:58 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Then problem though isn't the driving, its the culture of drinking, and the idea that we can have "only one" and still go on the road. If the limit was actually .02 or .03 no one would drink and then drive. Even if they are not impaired until .08 or .10, because legally it would not be allowed. Alcoholics and drunks are a different story, they have a medical issue and will drive regardless, but I'm talking about "social" or casual drinkers.
Probably true. Likely the reason I've never had an issue is that I treat it as an all or nothing thing. If I'm going to drink at all, even one, I've already made alternate plans for driving. That prevents me from ever having to make a bad decision three drinks in.

And I figure if I can do it, anyone can, particularly since we're talking about people's lives here.

Fortunately, we in WA State have zero tolerance for under-21 here which sets a good precedent. Contrast that with Canada where I grew up the drinking age was 18 or 19 and the limit was .08, so you could be of high school age and legally drinking and driving!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:16 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

The SUV was trying to do an Evel Knievel stunt by jumping in reverse while using the Corvette as a ramp.

Get notified of new replies

To Things no one tells you about driving a Corvette

Old 11-18-2017, 11:24 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

I remember that I saw an accident were a low hood dodge neon hit the side of a big SUV and sent her on her roof, just because of the cars low hood design.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:49 AM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by scottaolsen
Your insurance won't pay to fix your car if you're drunk.
Not sure where that notion comes from.

I suppose your mileage my vary, and never having experienced it personally or professionally, I cannot give any anecdotal evidence, however being a lawyer, I would tell you the insurance company would have a very hard time declining a collision insurance claim based on an alleged dwi/dui.

Even if ultimately convicted of dwi/dui that isn't necessarily willful or intentional misconduct that voids coverage.

Careless as in negligent, yes but that won't void your collision coverage or more importantly the liability coverage to pay for the other guy's property damage and/or personal injury claim.
The following 3 users liked this post by boxster99t:
defaria (11-19-2017), LT1 Z51 (11-18-2017), Walt White Coupe (11-18-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 06:49 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Quick Reply: Things no one tells you about driving a Corvette