Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission overheats at the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the 15 Z51 A8 and I have never made it to limp mode on the two times I tracked it but I sure did see the 280 mark. You definitely risk cooking your tranny at those temps. Tadge promised us a fix a long time ago but it never surfaced to my knowledge. You can get it done on your own nickel using the newer parts but at this point I am just pulling into the paddock and cutting short my sessions until I am ready to trade. It was a basic design flaw that has been corrected in later models.

The A8 has never missed a shift and I decided to let it do its job rather than paddle shift. Very fast shifts and you can just feel all of the tech working together. For me it was just one less thing to think about while getting the line down pat......
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:34 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

I read in the manual that Dexron Vl fluid is the one that we should use on our C7s. Do you know which stock fluid brand is the one that our cars come with from the dealership?

Last edited by 911Hunter; 11-19-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:34 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Which would be the best brand dextron Vl to protect the automatic transmission against overheating: Royal purple, red line, amsoil, mobil 1, Castrol or other brand?

Last edited by 911Hunter; 11-19-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:47 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

PMed you
Old 11-19-2017, 11:32 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by torchredz51
GM knows about the overheating and in 2015 released a set up of upgrades from to Z06 to help with the Z51 cooling
http://www.superchevy.com/news/1511-...ette-stingray/
They never released it. Another GM lie.
911Hunter (11-20-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:13 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

I read that even if you install GM's stock cooling upgrades, you would lose the powertrain warranty. Shame on GM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Take 2

Originally Posted by 911Hunter
I read that even if you install GM's stock cooling upgrades, you would lose the powertrain warranty. Shame on GM.
Misreplied earlier, couldn't get the computer to let me edit it without deleting, so here's my second attempt.

I understand your frustration, I would investigate which option you prefer.

You can void the rest of the warranty on the trans and torque converter with aftermarket cooling components, or maintain said warranty and potentially have the trans fail at the tail end, or just beyond what remains of your warranty.

Being a '14 that means you have what, a maximum of 730 days (2 years) left?

As I understand it the years of the warranty start from date of original sale, so possibly as little as 11.5 months.

As I recall your mileage isn't close enough to 100K to make it in the time remaining.

As it's early am here, I don't recall, have you asked your dealer if there is anything they can do?

It was marketed as a "track ready" car after all.

One option potentially means hobbling your car while waiting to get out of "warranty jail" the other promises performance now.

I'm sure you can guess which I support.

Either way, I would have a factory certified shop check it over before proceeding.

I would also check if the dealer would be willing to install the cooling upgrades, as you might be able to get some kind of extended labor warranty out of them, but you'll have to ask.

Last edited by Nexxussian; 11-21-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Detail
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

This is my actual warranty, since I bought certified (plus an extended warranty):

Certified Power Train Warranty - 02/20/2020 or 100,009 miles

CPO Limited Warranty - 08/19/2018 or 39,475 miles
Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Haven't checked with dealer yet, since car is behaving good on the street (besides the tracking limitation).
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Haven't checked with dealer yet, since car is behaving good on the street (besides the tracking limitation).
OP: You may have to accept that A8 equipped C7s are good street cars but not so good on the track. Mine overheated at VIR during some very mild driving. Temps were in the high 80s. I gave up on any more track time.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Tell them it overheated, into limp mode (IIRC I believe you said it did) and you aren't sure the converter is locking properly on the trac.

You aren't sure, are you?

If nothing else, that should make them look, they may find something.

I mention torque converter, even though it's an A6, because the biggest heater in an otherwise properly functioning auto trans is converter slip.

Obviously that's most severe with the lockup feature disengaged and the engine below the converter's stall speed.

On the track, I would expect it to not allow the engine to turn that slow, consequently any significant slip may be indicative of a TCC malfunction.

Or at least that's what I got to thinking about today.

I expect them to overheat, as they're known for it in factory trim, but yours seems excessively quick to get there.

I don't know that there was, but you could also ask if there was a software / firmware update for it that hasn't been performed yet.

CPO you'd kind of expect them to have already done that, but it's worth asking.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just suggesting as I figure it's better to have a list to "chat" with the service department about as they're human too.

What you're asking for may not connect with whomever your speaking with if you don't ask directly, they may be having a bad day.
911Hunter (11-21-2017)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:54 AM
14 z51
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z51 tranny limp mode

Originally Posted by torchredz51
This is very old and very known design problem with the Automatics. It says you were in Texas and posted this yesterday, so I presume you were trying to do the 3.1 in Cresson. It would have been worse on the 1.3 only.

When I first started tracking my 14 Z51, I had no problem...then I learned to drive faster. It got to the point when I could not drive >13 minutes at speed before going into limp mode.

Paddle shifting will delay it some, turning on the heater will do nothing but make you hot. The problem is that there just isn't enough air getting to the transmission cooler which is located in the back driver side quarter panel.

I switched to the Z06 grille and the Z06 quarter panel vents which kept it slightly cooler, but the problem wasn't solved until I put in the LG Transmission Cooling Kit
https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...d-cooling.html

I upgraded the radiator and with this kit, they upgrade the transmission lines, a greater capacity transmission pan, and an accessory cooler.

GM knows about the overheating and in 2015 released a set up of upgrades from to Z06 to help with the Z51 cooling
http://www.superchevy.com/news/1511-...ette-stingray/

To me, the LG kit offered more.

I can still get it >200 if I drive it hard on a >95 degree day, but no more overheating, no more limp mode.
I tracked my car at Sebring yesterday and got put in limp mode as well. I prob won’t track my car again, but should I replace the fluid since it got up to about 280. I’m sure it has broken down and degraded a lot after getting so high in temp.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:09 AM
14 z51
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that the A6 transmission overheating issue is very common while tracking the C7, in my case it happened to my '14 Z51 three times DNF, it didn't matter if it was on full auto or I was paddle shifting it, outside temperature was about 84-86 F it was very frustrating to see all other cars without issues continue driving even Civics and mine was the only one that wasn't able to finish after 5 minutes laps, by the way the transmission shifted great in full auto or paddle shifted both in sport or competition mode until it chimed and the warning sign came out. On spirited street driving this has never happened. Great performance potential of the car but probably has a bad transmission cooling design.:
exact same situation happened to me yesterday. How important is it to replace the fluid after it reaches temperatures that high? I’m pretty worried at this point, and not much of a mechanic.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission overheats at the track