FOB battery replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 PM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Default FOB battery replacement...

I can't remember , is the battery a 2032? I have had many problems with
fob not being recognized. Start troubleshooting with a simple fob battery replacing
Old 11-19-2017, 09:16 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

2032 it is...just replaced mine after 2 years and 8 months and after the fob, left in the garage at 34 degrees, refused to lock or unlock the doors. When brought into the house and allowed to warm, it worked fine, but I thought I was on borrowed time.

Ken

Last edited by probono; 11-19-2017 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 PM
djmichel
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2032 is the correct battery. I just replaced batteries in both of my remotes. Easy to do and while do so, I checked voltage difference between old and new batteries. Old batteries were 2.7-2.8 volts dc. The new batteries were 3.3 volts. My old batteries were just hitting 3 years since the vehicle was new. I had random no fob recognized so to be safe I changed
the batteries. The original batteries would probably have worked down to 2.5 volts. I have found that iPhone proximity to the fob will prevent recognition.
The following users liked this post:
orca1946 (10-13-2020)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:56 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

As others have found, even the unused fob battery will go dead at a out the same age as used one, so change both.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:17 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by djmichel
The 2032 is the correct battery. I just replaced batteries in both of my remotes. Easy to do and while do so, I checked voltage difference between old and new batteries. Old batteries were 2.7-2.8 volts dc. The new batteries were 3.3 volts. My old batteries were just hitting 3 years since the vehicle was new. I had random no fob recognized so to be safe I changed
the batteries. The original batteries would probably have worked down to 2.5 volts. I have found that iPhone proximity to the fob will prevent recognition.
Mine refused to work after 4 years, got the spare that was never used, it worked once then quit.

If it your only car, change both at 3 years.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:24 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by djmichel
The FOB batteries appear to need voltage in the "new" area.

I have a battery checker that puts a load on the battery (depending on size) so it is giving a better value that just a voltage reading. With a digital volt meter the current draw is very low.

I had changed my 2014 C7 FOB battery after 2 years as a precaution. After a year that FOB was not always opening the door and then would not allow the car to start. I used my other FOB which had been in a draw not used for then 3 years. It worked for a short while then it was erratic.

Checked both batteries and they read just barely in the Green OK area. Bought two new quality batteries that read strongly in the Good range. Both FOBs worked fine!

Will change my Grand Sport FOB battery with a quality replacement after two years! Those cheap eBay batteries (and probably Amazon) are not worth using, IMO!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-24-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:35 AM
CVG993
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Recently changed the batteries in both fobs on 2015, and work like a charm now. Had same issue where it would not unlock, and wouldn't recognize to start. Replaced and all good.

Get notified of new replies

To FOB battery replacement...

Quick Reply: FOB battery replacement...