Sponsored by:

How to change battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:20 PM
drkschoi
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to change battery

Is it safe to replace a battery on my own for 2015 c7 Z06?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

One of the good guys on here made a PDF on how to change the battery. Pretty easy.

http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Elmer
The following 3 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
DALE#3 (12-01-2017), JerryU (12-02-2017), Yaupon (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 05:05 PM
drkschoi
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, Elmer.

But, did it mess up your electronic setting when you replace the battery for yourself instead of the dealer changing it for you?
Old 12-01-2017, 05:11 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by drkschoi
Thank you, Elmer.

But, did it mess up your electronic setting when you replace the battery for yourself instead of the dealer changing it for you?
Nope. I think my outside temp. went blank for an engine cycle, but that is all I noticed. I don't think even the dealer would go to the trouble to keep an extra battery connected while they changed the main battery.

The problem is not the electronics, but you should disconnect the negative terminal first, and then the positive. Reconnect in reverse order. Physically, it is a pain to get the carpet, aux. fuse box, vent disconnected, and everything out of the way just to be able to get it out and a new one back in...
I went ahead and took the time to remove the side panel just to make sure I did not rip the carpet trying to get it folded back..

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 12-01-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

You'll probably need to re-index your windows. It's in the Owners Manual.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:44 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default I've got it down to a few easy steps

Step One - Be a bit more discerning when choosing a battery, i.e. the
Optimas don't fit

Step Two - Be careful removing the mat, cardboard/particle board cover
as it's easy to break

Step Three - Pick up the phone and call your friendly mechanic and pay
him/her to do it, I wouldn't touch it myself.....

Simple and stress free.......
Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Same procedure for the convertible?
Old 12-01-2017, 07:53 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I think these require a vented battery. Not positive but seems logical.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:23 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
I think these require a vented battery. Not positive but seems logical.
Yes, there is a vent tube that runs from the battery down through the bottom of the battery compartment.
Mine came with a ACDelco Silver series battery, and I replaced it with an ACDelco Gold series battery with a 42 month free replacement.

Actually, trusting a mechanic, even at the dealer, to take care not to tear the carpet or damage anything else is more stressful for me.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 12-01-2017 at 08:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TEXHAWK0:
JerryU (12-02-2017), NSC5 (12-01-2017), Yaupon (12-01-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by drkschoi
Thank you, Elmer.

I was that "good guy" that Elmer refereed too who made the PDF he put in his post! Thanks Elmer!

Funny in my C6 had to index both windows after I changed batteries. In my 2014 C7 only the passenger side!?

Battery was disconnected for about and hour (took my time to take pics) and expected there might be some reprogramming. None needed. My ~1000 songs on the SC card played in shuffle mode when I started the car just like they always did (and do now from a flush mount thumb drive!) No other changes.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-02-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:01 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JerryU
I was that "good guy" that Elmer refereed too who made the PDF he put in his post! Thanks Elmer!

Funny in my C6 had to index both windows after I changed batteries. In my 2014 C7 only the passenger side!?

Battery was disconnected for about and hour (took my time to take pics) and expected there might be some reprogramming. None needed. My ~1000 songs on the SC card played in shuffle mode when I started the car just like they always did (and do now from a flush mount thumb drive!) No other changes.
I saved the link, not the name, sorry Jerry! I added your name to my data links, it'll show next time!

Elmer
Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I saved the link, not the name, sorry Jerry! I added your name to my data links, it'll show next time!

Elmer
No need, the link is what help's folks not my name! Just pleased you saved it and you think I'm a "good guy," some on the forum don't!

I just commented on that post as it was asking a question re electrically issues with the battery being disconnected!
Frankly with all the programming needed for the C7 I was concerned I'd have to remember what I had set! Some of settings, like getting the car to beep when I leave were not obvious. Finding the correct menu is another issue. Fortunately I only had to index the passenger window!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-03-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Are you guys that are changing batteries doing it as a preventative measure or is the OEM battery really dying this early? I know in the hotter climates that batteries don't last as long but up here in Canada I've heard of a number of guys with Corvettes over the years that have gone well over 5 years on their original battery and I just talked to someone who went 9 years and the original battery in his C6 didn't even fail on him, he just changed it because he felt it was time.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
My C6 battery failed because it had a leak!

My C7 had a low voltage since it was new. After the surface charge was depleted it was ~12.4 volts. When I got the car in October 2013 I bought the equivalent to the GM battery charger to be sure. Same result after waiting 24 hours when it had showed fully charged. Never used the battery charger again even with several 2 1/2 week vacations.

In fairness, the battery was still operating fine when I replaced it before what was coming up to it's 4th winter. There was a sale on a quality AGM battery in late summer and after replacing it would NOT want to have to do it if it went dead mid winter! When it was replaced the battery voltage was where it should be, about 12.8 volts after the surface charge is depleted in 24 hours, ~12.8 volts.

If you haven't exposed the battery, suggest you do so and learn to pull the passenger plastic wheel well cover off before pulling the carpet out from underneath. You can look at my PDF (see post #2) and see it can be done with your fingers. Only need to unclip the bottom rear. (Note that is not mentioned in the Owner's Manual.) There are posts where the dealer tech ripped it getting it out! It's unbound and an AAA person providing a jump start will surly rip it!

That said, I have an Optima in my street rod that is always on a charger and it is 8 years old. Does make me concerned as it has electric doors, no door handles and the batter is inside the car! When at car shows I always leave the drivers window open so IS needed I can get a jump! Keeping a charger on the battery will extend the life. For my Vette, which is a DD, it's a PIA and I don't do it!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-03-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Patman
Race Director

I definitely will be using the battery tender whenever I know I won't be driving my C7 for a few days. I do believe that keeping the battery topped up like that can extend it's life greatly.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
Good idea if it's not a PIA! I don't bother even if I'm gone for a week or more. Was on vacation with my 2014 several times for 2 1/2 weeks and even with a low voltage (no doubt a weak cell) it started fine.

In the summer we have many lightening storms (and occasionally at other times.) Have lost sprinkler controls, TV's and even LED lights (when they were off) so it's a risk keeping a charger connected. With my street rod I keep a charger attached (as it mostly is driven only to Shows) but I did most of that wiring myself from scratch and can fix if needed. It has just a few microprocessors like the digital dash and alarm system and probably some of the sound system. I can replace all of those if needed.

I would/could not attempt to fix anything electrical on the Vette! Frankly ~$150 to replace the OEM battery with a quality AGM battery in 4 years is no big deal considering what else I spend on the car!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-03-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Patman
Race Director

I don't find connecting the tender to be a pain, especially since I'm really only in the habit of doing it from December to April. During that time period I have generally only driven my Corvette maybe 3 or 4 times per month, but the rest of the year I drive it at least 3-4 times per week so no tender is needed. On my C6 I plug the tender into the console and run the wire out the open driver's side window, so there is no chance I'd forget to unplug it. With my upcoming C7 I will have to make a sign to put in the car to remind myself when I have hooked up the tender in the trunk!

For your situation where you have those frequent storms and power outages/surges, why not just hook up your tender on a power bar that has a surge protector on it in order to keep things safe?

Last edited by Patman; 12-03-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to change battery

Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
Have a surge protector on my sprinkler control. Have replace the control 3 times! On one TV, have and expensive surge protector strip with guarantee! It blew an HDMI connection! Fortunately the TV had 3 channels-now 2! If the TV goes, worth the hassle of dealing with the guarantee but that was an easy fix! Even pay the power company insurance they have something on the line but only covers major appliances.

There are some downsides in living in the always sunny South but well worth it!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-03-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

My C7 battery is just under 4 years old and still going strong. We were travelling internationally from Nov 5 to Nov 29. On Nov 30 when I went out to start our cars, my C7 started right up. My wife's not even 1 year old XT5 was completely dead, not even enough to light up interior lighting. Neither has ever been on a battery tender and both are essentially daily drivers.

As far as surge protectors are concerned, I recommend putting whole house surge protectors in your service panels. I have them in both of our service panels and in 17 years, I've had to replace exactly 2 light bulbs in the entire house. Cutting down the transient voltage spikes really prolong the life of all electronics.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:02 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

aside from there being no handle to lift the battery out (OEM Delco) which is a PITA because of it's tight confines and the rear cover doesn't have an indent so it may tear when you move it to reach the battery.

Quick Reply: How to change battery