Sponsored by:

Do you ever tire of "Are you going through your middle age crisis or what?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:29 AM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_the_Dude
I went on a third date with a woman who said she could never be seen in a Corvette (my first C7). I just smiled and said, "Well, that's a bit presumptuous." Got in my car, waved at her as I was leaving, and smiled the whole drive home. I was so grateful to my car for saving me from that.

I've had mostly positive comments about my 2018 Grandsport.
dang what a biaaattcchhh. YOU should have said you know I could never see myself being inside you either.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Ray7374
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Oh it never fails somebody that hasn't ever seen your C7 before see it and say those dreaded words. First, I don't like being reminded that I am middle age and second it has nothing to do with the car. I have always loved cars, motorcycles and boats my whole life. I love speed, acceleration and the ability to totally jam through turns fast(my favorite). Sure I like the looks of the c7 but I really bought it for what it does first and the looks second.

Why do people think people like us only like the car to show that we are still young, hip and vibrant? Does a car make you look younger? I don't see how you are what you are. No, we buy then because we appreciate hot cars and the power and handling of the car and it makes us "feel" younger.

So I thought it might be interesting for us to post witty comeback for when people hit us with that question of middle age crisis or middle age crazy.

I'll start, "oh that's not my car I borrowed it from my 80 year old mother and she is going through her late life crisis my other car is piece of **** Prius like yours. ."
I get that stupid comment often and when anyone actually sees my c7 they invariably say “ wow that’s a corvette” or “wow that’s beautiful “

whats interesting is is that I was not considering a corvette at all in the months before my purchase.

I was driving/tracking a BMW M4 with the competition package. The BMW does have curb appeal - and an amazing motor but my girlfriend even said I never seemed excited about the car. and I was just not getting the track results I wanted. So after spending thousands on camber plates, wheels, track tires and pads I started to look at other vehicles.

I have considerable track track experience and was in my way to purchasing a GT4.... then I saw the videos of the C7 Grand Sport. I test drove a new viper, GT4 then the GS...the first time I sat in the GS I felt like this was a car I could “ hustle” on track.

So so the week before a track event I purchased the GS , my first Chevy ever. Spent the week breaking it in and arrived at the track with 1501 miles.

Completely stock I was immediately turning lap times 4 seconds faster than the M4 with all the track crap on it . And the GS was exactly half the price of a GT4. Amazing.

i often go to the garage and just look at the corvette , I never did that with the BMW. This is the first car in 15 years I have been excited to own.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ray7374:
fugly1 (12-13-2017), gixxerbill (12-13-2017), JerriVette (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

I've been "an old fart" since I was 12. So I take the "middle age crisis" comments in stride.

I usually respond with, well it was a quarter age crisis cause I'm going to live to over 100.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:08 AM
TurtleRayZ51
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

LoL some of these comments you guys make are making me laugh here ahahahah.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:09 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

I always tell people I've been in my midlife crisis since my first mustang in my twenties. Maybe one day I'll get past it.

I get more of the "nice car, want to trade" than the midlife crisis though.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:23 PM
06montyred
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tell them it was cheaper and safer than a girlfriend!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:16 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by 06montyred
I just tell them it was cheaper and safer than a girlfriend!!!
.....and it always does what you want, goes where you want to go, and never complains.

Whoops, I can't say stuff like that, wouldn't want others to get any ideas.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:40 PM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Oh it never fails somebody that hasn't ever seen your C7 before see it and say those dreaded words. First, I don't like being reminded that I am middle age and second it has nothing to do with the car. I have always loved cars, motorcycles and boats my whole life. I love speed, acceleration and the ability to totally jam through turns fast(my favorite). Sure I like the looks of the c7 but I really bought it for what it does first and the looks second.

Why do people think people like us only like the car to show that we are still young, hip and vibrant? Does a car make you look younger? I don't see how you are what you are. No, we buy then because we appreciate hot cars and the power and handling of the car and it makes us "feel" younger.

So I thought it might be interesting for us to post witty comeback for when people hit us with that question of middle age crisis or middle age crazy.

I'll start, "oh that's not my car I borrowed it from my 80 year old mother and she is going through her late life crisis my other car is piece of **** Prius like yours. ."
The the last time I was asked that I had just turned 60 and purchased my eleventh Corvette. My answer was "you're right, but my midlife crisis started when I was 16 years old" that usually shuts them down. Then I go on to say you really should have a midlife crisis also, because Vettes are great.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:55 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't say anything, I just follow them home and burn their house to the ground.
The following 4 users liked this post by GTRSOLO:
Dave_the_Dude (12-14-2017), JerriVette (12-14-2017), jimmbbo (12-14-2017), mlc ls1 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:06 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

So far I’ve not had anyone say that to me.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 PM
ArcticApex
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've literally heard it said to me or about me at least 15 times in the 3 weeks i've owned my C7.

Im 28 years old also.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:03 PM
mlc ls1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default And I cn still get in and out of it

The 'MLC' user name are not my initials. My MLC (Mid Life Crisis) '01 C5 turned 16 in June. In addition to 'MLC LS1', I had user names 'MLC LT1' and 'MLC L48'. I guess the long-gone C3 was a MLC thing. My son now owns the LT1 C4 (he's smack in the thick of MLC). Oh... did I mention that I am 68? I don't care if it's a MLC thing that won't quit.

I don't get asked the MLC question (probably something to do with the age ) When folks do compliment the 'ol C5, I like to reply: "Thank you, and the best part is that I can still get in and out of it."

Last edited by mlc ls1; 12-13-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

I have no idea why they would say that, but on the other hand - I don't care what other people say.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

"mid-life crisis"? I tell them I've had a "whole life crisis". I still have the Corvette I bought when I was 19 (I'm 63 this month) and had have always had between 1 and 4 of them in my garage ever since. I'm down to two now but looking for another one to support my habit.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Palanon
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm kinda right at the tail end of the proper age for the comment. I've only had it happen a few times. mostly I get "wow, nice car!" My come back to the other, which has always been in the grocery store parking lot is

"I have cancer (true). I just don't have enough time to drive disappointing craptastic cars like, well, that one!" (their car of course)

That usually leaves them flapping their mothes open and closed like a fish in the bottom of the boat stuck between apologizing or running away as walk off. I've always had a sports car or muscle car just for fun up until the late 90's. Work got in the way and I just never replaced the last one, a Camaro, that I gave to my nephew. this is the 1st Vette and convertible I've owned. Loving every second of it!

Last edited by Palanon; 12-13-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:50 PM
airplanebrad
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard all the comments. Mostly good though. Never let it bother me, because I realize the car may just be impossible for them. So im nice and smile, usually not saying much back. The one I hate the worst is "Im glad I don't have your payment!" I used to say I payed cash for it and its paid for. But I just say yep, payments suck. I drive cool cars and fly fast cool planes the way they were built to be operated. No other reason. I couldn't care less what others think.
The following users liked this post:
Dave_the_Dude (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

When I bought my first one in my mid 40s, people joked, and so I adopted the moniker oldwomanc6. I embraced it, and now it's such old hat that they never do anymore.

That's what the ow in owc6 stands for.

True story? or not?

Get notified of new replies

To Do you ever tire of "Are you going through your middle age crisis or what?"

Old 12-14-2017, 12:38 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

One response to that tired old meme is to fix the offending moron with a gaze, shake your head slowly and utter "Jealousy is such an ugly emotion", turn and walk away
Old 12-14-2017, 03:07 PM
74plb
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

The last comment I got was "Oh, Is that yours?" As his wife walked counter-clockwise around our C6 in the parking lot. My midlife crisis started early too. Im 61 and dont apologize for what I drive
Old 12-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by 74plb
The last comment I got was "Oh, Is that yours?" SNIP...
I'm 61 and dont apologize for what I drive
At 25 yrs old buying my 1st new Corvette (a C3) I used to get: "it must be nice." (having that new Corvette)) Were someone to say that to me now.....I would say; it IS nice! Everyone should have a new Corvette!

Quick Reply: Do you ever tire of "Are you going through your middle age crisis or what?"