Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with rudeness

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Whats our US Government doing buying non American cars.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by direct007
People need perspective. I have a close friend that doesn't have a car. She depends on friends including myself for a ride. When I hear people say they are "bored" with their car or color or whatever...I just roll my eyes. Be happy that you have a car...period. First world problems, I tell you.
Originally Posted by muncie21
I'd like to hear more about this government job that provides a new car every two years...
Originally Posted by NOMOREWORK
Not to get off the topic but what govt agency does she work for !!!! I see state and feds in Chevy Cobalts where I live !!!!
It's in California, the state that's going broke. Again. And if you thought only the super-young felt "entitled," try taking away a perk like a car every two years---a Lexus. Now, THERE'S an education system for ya' Hah!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Me too! Especially the ones that offer Lexus as an option.
Gov't issue car should be Impala, Taurus (or similar) or equivalent Dodge. Color should be old-man-tan, medium blue or white. Cars must be base level with no side mouldongs and must have hub cap type wheels.
Usage of car for personal should be documented and expenses reimbursed.
If you want a Lexus or other higher level car, buy your own. Her complaining about the Lexus was the rediculous part.
The following users liked this post:
ZorenZ51 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Gov't issue car should be Impala, Taurus (or similar) or equivalent Dodge. Color should be old-man-tan, medium blue or white. Cars must be base level with no side mouldongs and must have hub cap type wheels.
Usage of car for personal should be documented and expenses reimbursed.
If you want a Lexus or other higher level car, buy your own. Her complaining about the Lexus was the rediculous part.
Which is pretty much what it is. Wife works for governement, and that describes the cars, except for the vans/trucks. The field people that are going out to take soil/snow/etc samples have chevy 1500 4x4 or f150s. Base, white, with 4wd.

Federal government, state government, and a school system are all vastly different things. Doesn't surprise me that it is a school system, as most are corrupt.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by CptCvMan
Sounds like you are overly defensive. Unless I am missing something, she gave you a valid reason as to why she would not want one for herself and personal opinion of a car
and color is a valid reason.

Did she at any time put your Vette down directly and tell you how wrong you were for it?
Originally Posted by madrob2020
From just your explanation, it seems you wanted/had to have 100% agreement that your car was awesome & you knew what was best. She (reading your post) simply said "not for her" & as others have said, since a government employee it would not be a practical choice in any scenario. Ask yourself if maybe it wasn't her acting like that, it could be how you came across discussing your car. I get it we all love "OUR" car ('16 M7 Z) but it certainly isn't for everyone & aren't we glad. We don't blend in like the camaros, Hondas, Ford whatever, etc.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:51 AM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Sorry - need to vent for a few minutes.

Went to a family function yesterday. Arrived in my 2016 Z51. Family knows I'm a car nut, people were commenting how nice it was, and asking questions about it. So I'm going around the room, talk to another family member who was bragging about how successful she is, and I'm patiently listening, and being agreeable. Her organization buys her a new car every 2 years (gov't, seems ridiculous as she never drives anyone around in her job) and she was complaining about not being able to find the right color last time around for her Lexus RC and could only get horrible white (my vette is white). And she's starting to get bored with the Lexus.

I say - hey, why don't you test drive a vette? She said - "oh no, that's too flashy / show-off'y for me".

I responded somewhat annoyed saying - you don't drive it for how it looks, you drive it for the experience. I really wanted to deck her.

Just left a bad taste in my mouth. Why do people have to be like that?
" Sorry " If you know you're going to be "sorry" for doing something then don't do it.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 AM
VettNoob
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know how you feel, lol I had a brother in-law try to make me jealous by telling me he got 50 miles to the gallon! Really? I told him thanks, more gas for me! He has no idea about the experience. Water off a ducks back.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

It's not exactly a subtle car.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:29 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
I think we more react to "how" something is said than the "what" is said, which is hard to translate for external consumption. But admit I may have been over sensitive. This person is very successful, but it gets tiring hearing about it and having it be the only topic of conversation when I see them.

Anyways - I vented, I feel better . Thanks for listening!
This is what happens when people attempt to guess how others think or feel when in actuality they said nothing or felt nothing of the sort. IOW you were filling the narrative what you wanted to think, probably due to your own insecurities, and blaming somebody else for things that were not said or as the say in court - not in evidence. I really hate all this mumbo jumbo about body language and the like speaking volumes. It's all very unscientific and it's guessing and it's often very wrong. If you had a problem with this lady you should approach her with your concerns in an adult fashion and find out the real story instead of inventing one.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:31 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by muncie21
I'd like to hear more about this government job that provides a new car every two years...
I'd rather hear about one of them that makes you wealthy....
Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Hey Harmony. My Dad taught me some very wise stuff (he was a very wise man - - I just wish I would remember all the stuff he shared!), and one thing he taught me was 'Don't let anyone else dictate how you think, feel, or act'. Sometimes easier than said, but it works.

So what if someone else is bragging about their car, and states that they don't like white (your color) or a vette is flashy (they are)? She probably didn't mean it personally (but we often take it that way on something we're passionate about), but so what if she did? If we respond in kind it only makes us look like the jerk - especially if she didn't mean it personally. A simple "I agree, a vette isn't for everyone" would have sufficed and made you look like the good guy you are.

When I get frustrated, I take a deep breath and one of these.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 AM
ZorenZ51
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Are you sure she is a government employee and not Monica Lewinsky?
Or the like of her? To get a Lexus and a good Carrer in government?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

It amazes me how "sensetive" people are and how their feelings get hurt if someone merely looks at them funny or makes a comment they do not agree with. Holy crap, go on with you fragile life and worry about more important things that have a bigger impact on you....like when the stock market may crash.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Asked my wife about this since she has been in government job for 20+ years. There is the buy america act that limits them to american made products. So it would be against that law to buy a lexus as a federal employee. A state, or school system is far from federal, so who knows what they can do.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:20 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Taking it too personally could lead to this:

Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Mjfloyd1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VettNoob
I know how you feel, lol I had a brother in-law try to make me jealous by telling me he got 50 miles to the gallon! Really? I told him thanks, more gas for me! He has no idea about the experience. Water off a ducks back.
I usually reply that what I lack in miles per gallon is made up for in smiles per gallon...
Old 12-18-2017, 05:24 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

It really has been interesting reading the responses, and I'm very surprised how many there have been - didn't think this would have been much of a topic of interest.

It's very evident in the responses, we women do operate at a very different level of "sensitivity" in situations like these, despite whether we're car nuts or not!

One thing for sure - everyone does have an opinion!

Get notified of new replies

To Dealing with rudeness

Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

A govt job that gives her a Lexus and she is worried about being "flashy". I wonder where she works because they need some budget cuts.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
A govt job that gives her a Lexus and she is worried about being "flashy". I wonder where she works because they need some budget cuts.

I'm guessing the position with a Company Lexus doesn't exist or we aren't getting the whole story.

Last edited by WideVette; 12-18-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:49 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
" Sorry " If you know you're going to be "sorry" for doing something then don't do it.
I'm sorry but you're wrong!

Quick Reply: Dealing with rudeness