C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have PPF - is this close to what you paid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 651 Likes on 434 Posts
Default For those who have PPF - is this close to what you paid?

In my search to protect my new black Z06, I've found three detailing shops around town that install paint protection film and do ceramic coatings. Here is the cost from the one I am considering:

Partial PPF Kit - Full front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, mirrors: $799

Full Front PPF Kit - Full front bumper, full hood, full fenders, mirrors: $1,699

For either kit, he said I could choose either xpel or LLumar, but with a black car, he recommend LLumar. I am a little confused as to why the big jump in cost between the partial and the full, considering that they are only extending the PPF about 1-2 more feet to the edge of the hood and fenders. To do that, it more than doubles the cost?

They also have the following "special":

Perfect Protection Pro Combo Pack -
Partial Front LLumar PPF Kit (normally $799)
Sonax CC36 Full Car Ceramic Coating (normally $699)
Total Package = $1,099

I was initially interested in this package. However, I don't like the idea of ending the PPF 1/2 way up the hood and fenders. The guy I talked to said that they could "work out a deal" on the same package, but with the Full Front PPF Kit instead of the Partial (he didn't say what the "deal" was, but I if I get time, I am going to stop in again today and ask).

What do you think? Are these prices in line with what some of you have paid? The other two places in town were close in price, but even a little more expensive.

Any information you could pass my way would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,957 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not recent knowledge on price (3 years ago), but rather than checking where it's done, I'd make sure who does it. For that, I'd ask at a Corvette club even if you don't belong to one. The material, while not the same from co. to co., is actually less important than the person's experience in doing it. And, while detailing and window tinting cos. have experience in doing some things with film or car bodies, it is not the same as putting this stuff on the body. I've had six cars done and watched all but one. Both of the shops local to me that I checked with said, regardless of the kit, every installation requires a little cutting to fit properly--that requires a steady hand and knowledgeable person to know what and how to cut without damage. All jmo, but I'd do a lot of checking, not just pricing.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I had just the nose done for $385.Your price sounds inline.

Prices can be regional.

\db2
Old 12-22-2017, 08:00 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I received a quote for front bumper, full hood, front fenders, mirrors, and rocker panels for $1800 + tax. Xpel Ultimate, 3M, or Suntek.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:06 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Paid $600 for bumper, stage 3 splitter, headlights, and mirrors. As others have said installer is most important here, find someone with an epic rep.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 12,037 Likes on 5,724 Posts

I haven't had PPF installed as of yet, but have done quite a bit of research on the subject. Typical front only $700>$900; full car (front to rear) $2000>$2300.

Personally, I would be more concerned with the skill of the tech and overall quality of the job than what it costs. Things like proper prep work, edges being rolled (you don't want to see anymore seams than necessary) etc..

In attending Carlisle last August it became apparent there's quite a difference in quality from car to car.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:36 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 579 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Personally, I would be more concerned with the skill of the tech and overall quality of the job than what it costs. Things like proper prep work, edges being rolled (you don't want to see anymore seams than necessary) etc..

The installer is the key, not the price at all. Quality does not cost more...it lasts longer. Installer not price. I have been using PPF for about 15 years now - long before anyone knew what it was. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 08:42 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 651 Likes on 434 Posts

I know that you can't always go by reviews online, but Google, Yelp, and Facebook reviews of this place are all 5 stars (out of 5).

I also know that you can't judge a place by what type of vehicles it services, but it has worked with everything from Lambos and Porsches, to old, classic cars. Lots of nice photos of vehicles they've detailed, wrapped, or tinted the windows of.

I agree that the films are all basically the same, and that a highly-skilled installer is the key to success!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 12,037 Likes on 5,724 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
I know that you can't always go by reviews online, but Google, Yelp, and Facebook reviews of this place are all 5 stars (out of 5).

I also know that you can't judge a place by what type of vehicles it services, but it has worked with everything from Lambos and Porsches, to old, classic cars. Lots of nice photos of vehicles they've detailed, wrapped, or tinted the windows of.

I agree that the films are all basically the same, and that a highly-skilled installer is the key to success!
While not an "end-all" verification for quality of service it does confirm that at least some highly invested owners have confidence in the service provider. I would ask for references.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

The partial front @$799 is very close to what I paid for the same thing. The jump foor the full hood and fenders seems a bit high compared to what as I was quoted around $1200 for full hood/fenders (in addition to the rest).

Instead I opted to cover the rockers, ground effects and front lower part of rear quarter panel. I paid around $1200 for the partial front areas you listed + the rockers / rear quarter

Last edited by Soonere39; 12-22-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To For those who have PPF - is this close to what you paid?

Quick Reply: For those who have PPF - is this close to what you paid?