Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a dreadful day at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:37 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

If I was a smart ***, I might suggest people submit offers for $62k online. If...
Old 12-31-2017, 07:45 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleFodder
If I was a smart ***, I might suggest people submit offers for $62k online. If...
Ha, that'd be too funny.

Last edited by blb078; 12-31-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:51 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleFodder
I would say offers of $60k. Dealer would then realize that the actual market value is not that great and call the OP to take his offer.

In the end the sales manager should have just gave his lowest price and if the OP didn't like it then he can leave.
The following users liked this post:
NavyBlue2 (01-04-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:00 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinvr4
Hello everyone thanks for visiting my post, I was just at the dealership today to check out a used 2016 Z06,
LT3 package, Z07 performance, competition seats.
Let me tell you this car is loaded, had 14k miles asking $66,400.
I know I had to work a deal so I shoot an offer of 62k, moments later used car sales manager comes in and asked “Are you serious about buying a car” then he chewed me out with an attitude because of my offers. He went on and said the NADA trade in value at 75k and bank will loan 125% of that. He then questions me “how did you came up with that numbers it is from the sky”. From this point on I felt wow What a genuine customer service, I literally
Felt like I was given a parenthood lessons. At the end he Reinstated that “the Internet price is the final price, do you want to buy it”. I shake my head then he took all the paper documents away from me and leave the room with a quote
”stop wasting my time”.
Even the salesman apologize about his manager reaction. I now understands why people are dreadful with purchasing a vehicle.
Curious if this is the car? If so, looks like they've already marked it down to move it out. Likely was an MSRP of well north of $100k especially with additional options like the body-matched vents and such.

Sure, something of a jerk move but with a couple of days left in the month perhaps a temperature check. Would offer that the "jerk" knows what he has in the car and what his margin would allow and wasn't into haggling. Would also guess the OP was sized up as a shopper and not a buyer, right or wrong. The price on the car in question seems in line with published book value, regardless of what new ones are selling for.

Some are not comfortable confronting attitude. I have been in similar (and far more "confrontational") situations and can't take it personally. Can say from being in similar situations that my response has been along the lines of "you don't have to be a dick, but do you want to sell the car or not? If so, what's the bottom line?". Used car lot-lizards usually are not accustomed to being called on their power plays and you're either going to settle the deal with less BS or know where you stand.

Walk away or negotiate but regardless if you're going to get your feelings hurt, then just pay what's listed (arguably a reasonable price) and be done with it. Not slamming the OP, just a fact of doing business in an open market...

Last edited by Allen_B; 12-31-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:02 PM
Lanzz
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
That was the first thing I thought too. Like who thought it was a good idea to take pics of the car like that. I've sold cars in the past that where worth less than 10k that I've cleaned up 10x better than that.

I don't think the OP took the rejection of his offer personally it's the comments that the manager made such as "stop wasting my stop" any self respecting human wouldn't be happy to hear that and should stick up for him/herself. This thread kind of turned from how the manager treated him to he rejected his offer. The offer and the rejection is irrelevant that happens all the time, it's being spoken down to by the manager that is.
BLB, you are totally right - I think the sales manager took it personally... The OP had every right to offer what he thought was appropriate - the dealer can decline, counter or accept. Once the sales manager got into the "...stop wasting our time..." train of thought, he was getting personal, which is dumb and leaves money on the table...
The following 2 users liked this post by Lanzz:
Crossed Flags Fan (01-01-2018), NavyBlue2 (01-04-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:47 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I've noticed that you often attempt to misconstrue what folks are actually saying, by choosing convenient snippets out of context.
You misconstrue what I do.
I often respond to something specific in a post, not every sentence or point.
I "quote" certain text in order to make it clear to a reader what I am replying to.
I don't know if you noticed how many responses on forums on the internet are not exactly clear what a poster is referring to.

I don't understand some of the skepticism in this tread by some of you. Sure you can't believe everything you read on the internet but his claim isn't something outrageous, things like what he went through happen in sales from time to time. Do any of you know the OP, I don't so I have no reason to doubt him, why do you? There are bad dealers, bad sales managers, and bad salesman. And when someone says "stop wasting my time" that is not a "perception of being impolite" or "part of negotiations", that is just flat out rude, which is what the OP experienced.

For those of you skeptics in this thread do you have that same kind of skepticism in threads where people post positive dealer experiences or is is only in the threads with negative dealer experiences? I'm going to guess it's only the latter, in which case you probably shouldn't post in any threads about dealer experiences and just move on because it should be a give and take both ways, not only one way which some of you prefer I guess.
Absolutely right on the money.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Curious if this is the car? If so, looks like they've already marked it down to move it out. Likely was an MSRP of well north of $100k especially with additional options like the body-matched vents and such.

Sure, something of a jerk move but with a couple of days left in the month perhaps a temperature check. Would offer that the "jerk" knows what he has in the car and what his margin would allow and wasn't into haggling. Would also guess the OP was sized up as a shopper and not a buyer, right or wrong. The price on the car in question seems in line with published book value, regardless of what new ones are selling for.

Some are not comfortable confronting attitude. I have been in similar (and far more "confrontational") situations and can't take it personally. Can say from being in similar situations that my response has been along the lines of "you don't have to be a dick, but do you want to sell the car or not? If so, what's the bottom line?". Used car lot-lizards usually are not accustomed to being called on their power plays and you're either going to settle the deal with less BS or know where you stand.

Walk away or negotiate but regardless if you're going to get your feelings hurt, then just pay what's listed (arguably a reasonable price) and be done with it. Not slamming the OP, just a fact of doing business in an open market...
5 Star Chevrolet is part of Sam Pack's 5 Star Ford group. The dealership used to be Van Chevrolet. The building is new, on the north side of I-35. Several years ago I tried to buy a new Explorer Sport from their Ford house. Low balled my trade and wanted close to msrp for the Explorer. I walked out.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:25 PM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I always do the final negotiations via email this way it is easier to walk away and there are less feelings involved. I bought my vette site unseen but had looked at vettes locally with the features I wanted. I emailed 2 big vette dealerships one state over and another 2 states over and got exactly what I wanted for much less then the local dealers wanted. I bought my wifes last 3 cars the same way, emailed 4 dealerships and kept low balling until one of them gave me what I wanted. To the OP just move on and do business with another dealership. You need to take feelings out of the negotiations or you will be in for a crappy experience.

Last edited by millsy; 12-31-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:51 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

For those of you skeptics in this thread do you have that same kind of skepticism in threads where people post positive dealer experiences or is is only in the threads with negative dealer experiences? I'm going to guess it's only the latter, in which case you probably shouldn't post in any threads about dealer experiences and just move on because it should be a give and take both ways, not only one way which some of you prefer I guess.
Yes. Thanks for bringing that up. Every time someone comes on here and says, "I just had the greatest experience EVER from Dealer X!" I cringe and roll my eyes. Some dealers are treated like GODS INCARNATE on this forum (You know who they are!) and if you even DARE to criticize them, you are met with a raft of ****, frankly, from people who think they can do no wrong. All these people are saying is that it was a smooth transaction for them. Well, that's great and lucky you! I'm happy for you. But that is what is SUPPOSED to happen. The true mark of a God-like dealer is when something bad happens, they can intervene to make it right. And from the questions I see posted here daily, a lot of the "bad" that happens with orders is that the customer has not done his homework, including constantly changing specs, and has to be bailed out by the dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
direct007 (12-31-2017), JALLEN4 (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

The manager said he had an offer from another dealer of 65K....I was in the business
and an offer like that....I would have wholesaled it to him in a heartbeat...on to the next one..!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:07 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Your offer WAS NOT ridiculous, and i would have done exactly the same thing. Somr people think because they have this or that option, and it cost xxxx amount new, they are entitled to get that back.....well thats bullshit. Some of the options we buy because we want them at the time of purchase arent worth jack (and in the case of the z07 model, carbon fiber brakes and rotors are a big negative), because they can be $10k or more to replace.

There are also owners of z06"s here on the forum that have no idea how much (little) their csr is currently worth. With new 2019's coming next month, and the extremely heavy discounts on remaining new cars, the value of used z06s is the pits, especially for those, like me, that purchased their Z06 new back in 2015, when all the hype was up. I am just grateful i have had one for so long, and relatively good luck with it.

Good luck with your search, and dont be discouraged.

QUOTE=Foosh;1596282223]If in fact he was as rude as you portrayed, there's no excuse for that. On the other hand, your offer was rather ridiculous, and basically a trade-in value price. Perhaps that's what he was trying to convey to you. They are entitled to a fair profit, and certainly aren't in business to lose money.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-31-2017, 11:09 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,700 Likes on 5,595 Posts

"If" just receiving an offer (which he considered too low) made the sales manager behave in such an unprofessional manner, it's most likely time for him to move on to another line of work as he's not doing himself, the dealership he works for or the customer any good in his current vocation.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Crossed Flags Fan (01-01-2018), SLOWRYDE (01-02-2018), sunsalem (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Your offer WAS NOT ridiculous, and i would have done exactly the same thing. Somr people think because they have this or that option, and it cost xxxx amount new, they are entitled to get that back.....well thats bullshit. Some of the options we buy because we want them at the time of purchase arent worth jack (and in the case of the z07 model, carbon fiber brakes and rotors are a big negative), because they can be $10k or more to replace.

There are also owners of z06"s here on the forum that have no idea how much (little) their csr is currently worth. With new 2019's coming next month, and the extremely heavy discounts on remaining new cars, the value of used z06s is the pits, especially for those, like me, that purchased their Z06 new back in 2015, when all the hype was up.

Good luck with your search, and dont be discouraged.

QUOTE=Foosh;1596282223]If in fact he was as rude as you portrayed, there's no excuse for that. On the other hand, your offer was rather ridiculous, and basically a trade-in value price. Perhaps that's what he was trying to convey to you. They are entitled to a fair profit, and certainly aren't in business to lose money.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-31-2017, 11:21 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mschuyler
yes. Thanks for bringing that up. Every time someone comes on here and says, "i just had the greatest experience ever from dealer x!" i cringe and roll my eyes. Some dealers are treated like gods incarnate on this forum (you know who they are!) and if you even dare to criticize them, you are met with a raft of ****, frankly, from people who think they can do no wrong. All these people are saying is that it was a smooth transaction for them. Well, that's great and lucky you! I'm happy for you. But that is what is supposed to happen. The true mark of a god-like dealer is when something bad happens, they can intervene to make it right. And from the questions i see posted here daily, a lot of the "bad" that happens with orders is that the customer has not done his homework, including constantly changing specs, and has to be bailed out by the dealer.
i agree 100%.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

This being the free world, both parties are free to both lead with an offer and follow with a counter-offer, or not.

No insults are needed to accomplish this to its conclusion of a refused offer (at some point or other) or a deal concluded to both parties being satisfied.

It's a used car negotiation, and there is no such thing as a fixed price.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
bruceg2016 (01-01-2018), Crossed Flags Fan (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 AM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Likely for the best. Doesn’t the 2016 Z06 have the older design prone to overheat issues?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by binster
Likely for the best. Doesn’t the 2016 Z06 have the older design prone to overheat issues?
GM would like you believe they solved the problem in 2017. The fact is this is primarily a "automatic" issue, and there is no design in production to date that has resolved this issue. The ZR1 appears to be the first genuine attempt by GM to resolve this issue. Its primarily an issue on automatics tracked (i should have said this above).

Get notified of new replies

To What a dreadful day at the dealership

Old 01-01-2018, 03:23 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
It's simple: if a salesman's lips are moving, if their vocal cords are resonating a sound, then they are lying. The 1 truth in a 'negotiation' is that your BS needs to be stronger than their BS. It sounds like yours was being that he couldn't sway you. My hat off to you, sir. We'll done. The first thing they latch onto is 'do you desire the car', if so they have leverage. When he walked out, he was calling your bluff or he was just not motivated. In either case, leave and don't look back. Cars, even the z06, are commodities. They all are built in the same place and , with minor differences, are the same. The 1 rule with a commodity, is that the only differentiator is PRICE. There's another 2016 z06 somewhere else that is waiting for you that the PRICE will be right on. Never give them leverage, never cave in on your price, and always lowball (because, you can always come up and their feelings are not real: remember the BS comment I made) and you will be victorious.

On the next attempt, don't even start with the car you want (BS) if possble. Look at another car and let them up sell you to the z06 knowing that you'll only look at it if your preset conditions are met. There are many strats you can use and are found on YouTube. I like John Cadogan ( an Aussie) who is a broker in the Australia market but the info is universal.
I've read a boatload of sophomoric bullshit here over the years, but nothing quite tops this.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
dvilin (01-01-2018), OntarioOrangeC3 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:04 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,927 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
The Power of the feet is a strong force... However, if they call you back that means they were the first to 'blink' / cave. So... why not go back and check out what they have to say/offer ? Don't get emotional. It's a $ transaction and $ + emotional reaction NEVER = you're best interest. Someone, who is worth a helluva lot more $ than I am once said they never do (invest time or money in) anything that does not benefit them. Even it it's revenge...

Also, not trading in (selling it yourself or through a broker is best. Separate the transactions. They will offer a good price on the car they're selling but get you on the trade in.

Also, 0% financing is BS too because of the same combo principle. i.e. you can get 0% financing on an new car but you won't get any factory discounts or negotiate a lower price. The price advertised is the price you pay. Now, you think they are doing that and NOT making $ on the deal ??? Take the finance rate on a loan you source yourself and figure out how much the $ difference is (for the first 3 years) on that from the amount of the discount you didn't get.
Holy crap, have another drink.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:14 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Some of these replies are so far out of wack ...........

Quick Reply: What a dreadful day at the dealership