C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual vs Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Any monkey can drive an automatic, it takes skill to properly drive/race a manual transmission. Yeah, autos now may be faster but real men drive manuals.

My mom, she's in her 70's, drives an automatic.........

Last edited by themonk; 01-14-2018 at 04:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (01-15-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Any monkey can drive an automatic, it takes skill to properly drive/race a manual transmission. Yeah, autos now may be faster but real men drive manuals.

And I have a friend, a 60's year old grandmother, that drives a C7 Z06 with a manual. I have another friend, a 60's grandmother, that drives a C6 GS Callaway SC606 with an automatic.

While I'm not a Mom, I am a 75 year old father who drives a slightly modified C6 Z06 with a manual and I also drive a Mercedes sedan with a supercharger and is an automatic. Plus my 1964 Corvette has the original automatic transmission and my 1956 Corvette has a Muncie 4 speed manual.

Proves nothing.

My belief is that some manual owners will be impressed with the DCT and will have no problem switching. The age of new Corvette owners has been on the rise, from 61 years old in 2009 to 63 years old in 2017. As we get older, health problems play an important part of what transmission we select. In my case, with more and more feet and knee problems, a DCT would give me the best of both worlds(manual and automatic).
woodsguy (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

A8 is quicker the M7 is faster,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Lol, Another macho key board tough guy
Old 01-14-2018, 11:01 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Can we please close this thread?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Art17
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack605
Manual vs Automatic?

I have been looking at 2lt Stingray's and was really thinking Manual transmission, I have a manual in my C3 and I love the feel of it but it is a pain in the *** around Chicago with the stop and go on the highway coming home from work. The idea of getting a C7 is being able to drive more, I drove an automatic yesterday and it was very nice great pickup I was not able to really get on the gas due to very wet roads up here.

Manual - just great fun hammering the gears

Auto - easier to handle with traffic, lots of stop and go around Chicago. Wife might actually drive the car if it is auto.

Still thinking about it looking for opinions.

Jack
Hello, it all gets down to preference. My first car was a stick and I have owned several sticks in my life. I prefer an automatic and I can't imagine wanting to drive a stick in traffic.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

There's no right answer here. I had manuals in all my vehicles from 1980-2015, but I bought an A8 Stingray in 2015. In past threads I've labeled it a "senior moment," mostly in jest, but it was really a matter of seeing a nice 3LT TR/AR car at a local dealer that was close to my specs and I decided to try something different. I knew the A8 was a great performer without a mileage penalty, so I couldn't see either as an excuse to avoid them anymore. Cost made me think twice, but I took the plunge. After a few months I knew something was missing, and then the TC issues started, which soured me on slushboxes for the duration.

I bought a 2017 GS M7 almost one year ago and I'm no longer shiftless, at least while in my car, and I'm in stick-shift heaven--a real sweet spot. PITA in traffic? I can't relate, as shifting is a pleasure to me--can't get enough. I would say that if you are on the fence and have had manuals in the past, go with the M7. It is lacking in any serious faults and fits the character of the car, IMO.

Last edited by iclick; 01-14-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default The 7

Originally Posted by Jack605
Manual vs Automatic?

I have been looking at 2lt Stingray's and was really thinking Manual transmission, I have a manual in my C3 and I love the feel of it but it is a pain in the *** around Chicago with the stop and go on the highway coming home from work. The idea of getting a C7 is being able to drive more, I drove an automatic yesterday and it was very nice great pickup I was not able to really get on the gas due to very wet roads up here.

Manual - just great fun hammering the gears

Auto - easier to handle with traffic, lots of stop and go around Chicago. Wife might actually drive the car if it is auto.

Still thinking about it looking for opinions.

Jack
Hello Jack
I live in Chicago.
Starting in 74 each of my Vettes have been Manual. There have been five including my 17 GS.
Two Miatas. One Porsche. All clutch. All the time. For me I have no prob in traffic. Part of the charm. I take pride in rowing thru the gears even in traffic, and there is plenty of it.
It’s a personal thing.
I have driven the auto. I thought it was spectacular. Just not as much fun for me.
My Outback is CVT. My wrangler is five speed auto. Plan to get a new 8 speed auto Sahara this summer.
Just not my Corvette.
Soon all cars will be auto trans. They will be spectacular. But while still available I enjoy a Manual.
It’s up to to you.
What ever you decide it is a magnificent ride.
By the way my wife drove the manuals. Still does which makes me nuts every time. And my kids. When they were still at home.
Don’t over think it.
Jack605 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:06 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

If and only if there were not quite as many issues with the A8, I am glad to have the M7 with no issues and probably never will.

The A8 is faster, easier in traffic, but if you love clutching and shifting ya gotta shift.

Also the manual cars, you never never have to be concerned about eco mode, AfM bullshit. The automatic cars should have had a turn on/off switch

Last edited by BJ67; 01-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual vs Automatic?