Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 Option on Crappy Minnesota Roads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:56 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've owned three Vettes with Z51; '84, '05, and '14. None have had MSRC and I don't regret it. (not an option on the '84, obviously, which is the one that could really use it!) I had an early version of MSRC on our '03 convertible and couldn't really tell the difference between modes so opted to not order it on my next two cars. My '14 is stiff, yes, but not to the point that you question the choice to not order MSRC. I prefer a somewhat stiff ride on these cars and don't expect them to ride like our Caddy XT5 or ATS. Some MN roads can be a mess come Spring, but once potholes are repaired they're generally OK. I hit one on 694 yesterday and thought for sure I bent a wheel or at least knocked the runflat tire off the rim on the ATS. Fortunately no damage. A guy in a high $ pickup was pulled over about a mile later with his tire separated from the rim-I'm sure he hit the same hole as it was the left front.
The following users liked this post:
rickmc17 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

2017 Z51 rides like a cadillac compared to the 2007 z51 i had
Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
As I said above, supposedly the new available calibrations are softer in Tour, which I'll find out soon with a new Z51 coming. However, with a DSC MSRC controller, you can have either a plush ride or a track monster with the flick of the dial.

After evaluating the new calibrations in my new car for a few hundred miles, there is no doubt the DSC from my old Z51 will be going back into the new car.
Why did you decide to get a new C7?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

As a fellow MN resident, I can confirm that MSRC is a plus. Nothing helps on a pothole, but for the general annoying state of the roads it can help a lot. On good roads set back to Sport.
rickmc17 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 AM
rickmc17
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
As a fellow MN resident, I can confirm that MSRC is a plus. Nothing helps on a pothole, but for the general annoying state of the roads it can help a lot. On good roads set back to Sport.
Thanks for the heads up JonMN. BTW, do you have any recommended dealerships I should consider locally? I'm south of the Twin Cities in Dakota County. As of now I'm looking into ordering from Kerbeck or MacMullin and have it shipped. Seems to be the best way to get the exact car I want and the most competitive pricing option. Although I wouldn't mind dealing with a dealer in MN or WI that specializes in Corvettes. Thanks again for your input!

rickmc17
Old 01-19-2018, 12:16 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I bought mine from Village Chev. in Wayzata. I ordered mine a year in advance and it was the first C7 they received. They are sponsors of a Corvette club, NCRS Chapter, and a Camaro club so obviously involved. I've had good experience with their service department for all my Vettes. Not sure they would be at the Kerbeck point of pricing, but you're not dealing with the hassle of transportation and any potential questionable warranty issues if the car arrives with damage and you're doing a courtesy delivery.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 PM
rickmc17
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

trivette,
Thanks for the info. I'll pay them a visit.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:21 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP Something not being discussed so far, except possibly for Foosh's comment, the wheel size change. From 2018 on, the base will come with the 19/20 wheels which are identical to the Z51 and will stiffen the suspension slightly. The old 18/19 wheels are no longer standard. This will stiffen the ride slightly. I think Foosh is correct that the base may be just as stiff or stiffer than the Z51 with MSRC. I have a 2014 Z51 with MSRC and can testify it is a blast being in control of the suspension in a high performance sports car. Absolutely worth it. BTW, I used to work in Baudette and commuted from Bimidji and International Falls to Baudette so I'm familiar with some of the roads in Northern Minnesota.

Last edited by roadbike56; 01-19-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I owned a ‘15 Z51 without mag ride and now on a GS with mag ride. I strongly recommend mag ride if you get the Z51 package. My GS with wider tires is much smoother in touring mode than the Z51. If you do decide to get a Z51 with mag ride, why not pay a little more ($2,500, I think) and get a GS. For the difference you’ll get the Z06 brakes and wide body. On the other hand, if you go with the base car, I don’t think mag ride is necessary.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:10 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

My DD is a 2wd Tacoma pickup. My 17 Z51 (w./mag ride) rides smoother that the pickup.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM
netster
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would go with the Z51 and MSRC then add the DSC MSRC controller.

Last edited by netster; 01-20-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Foosh (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
I bought mine from Village Chev. in Wayzata. I ordered mine a year in advance and it was the first C7 they received. They are sponsors of a Corvette club, NCRS Chapter, and a Camaro club so obviously involved. I've had good experience with their service department for all my Vettes. Not sure they would be at the Kerbeck point of pricing, but you're not dealing with the hassle of transportation and any potential questionable warranty issues if the car arrives with damage and you're doing a courtesy delivery.
Glad you were happy buying from a local dealer. Thought I would make this post for those concerned about issues you mention buying from Kerbeck!

Ordered my C6 Z51 from Kerbeck. Could not find anyone local that would accept Courtesy Delivery so flew to Atlantic City when it arrived and drove it 500 miles home to SC. Stayed in Atlantic City Sunday night arrived at Kerbeck very early on a Monday morning. Car was in the lot covered with all the shipping paper. They were efficient and I was off driving home in a few hours. Zero problems.

For my recent Grand Sport purchase, called Kerbeck and in 15 minutes the car was ordered! However this time I found a small dealer 30 miles from home who would accept Courtesy Delivery for $250! Talking only to the Finance Manager and no salesman or sales manager was the secret to finding who would do it! Turns out they do it all the time for the largest employer in the town with ~3000 employees.

Knowing nothing about their service, I visited before the car arrived from Bowling Green, Was pleasantly surprised to see the service manager was relatively young, his wife had a 2016 C7 and their one C7 Tech is the only one who works on all Vettes for whatever!

Found out the service department not only gets paid by GM for the initial prep they also were paid by GM to install my Stage 2 aero side skirts and splitter. When the car arrived, the service manager called to see if I wanted to see the car as it looked when it came off the delivery truck! I let them start the prep. I had asked they not wash it as I was going to clay-bar and Zaino when I got in home. He said his wife did the same thing!

The C7 Tech let me come into the service bay and watch as he drilled the 13 holes per side and installed the GM supplied rivets for the skirts. I had also asked that they do not top-off the oil regardless of the level as I keep in half way in the hatched are. I was pleased that was relayed to the C7 Tech who said, "I did check the level and it's about 1/2 quart high from the factory." Sure enough when I got it home, drained a quart and it was where I had kept the 2014 Z51, half way between MIN and MAX!

The service manager showed my two spots with a few dirt particles under the clear coat. He then took my over to the body shop manager who said it would be fixed in ~2 hours. No doubt they got paid from GM for that effort! Can't see where the dirt was!

Bottom Line: Could not be happier with their service. The service manager obviously did not care if their salesman got a commission or the dealership only made $250! When I got a call from GM re my service experience I gave him the dealership, service manager and Tech 5 star ratings!

PS: I got the first 2014 C7 in town buying from a very large dealer 125 miles away! It would have been Kerbeck BUT they were not taking orders in March 2013, before there was any pricing. I was #9 placing an order and had a signed agreement for MSRP, whatever it was!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-20-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by netster
I would go with the Z51 and MSRC then add the DSC MSRC controller.
That's what I did.

None of the soft/harsh comparisons between various MSRC vs. non-MSRC configurations espoused in this thread are accurate when equipped with the DSC Sport MSRC controller.

With DSC and MSRC, you can either have a limo ride or a track monster w/ the flick of a dial on the Z51, GS, or Z06. Perhaps one of the most fascinating things about the DSC is that even the track settings are much less harsh, because the car only stiffens when it needs to be, such as in high-G cornering to eliminate body roll.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-20-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
I owned a ‘15 Z51 without mag ride and now on a GS with mag ride. I strongly recommend mag ride if you get the Z51 package. My GS with wider tires is much smoother in touring mode than the Z51. If you do decide to get a Z51 with mag ride, why not pay a little more ($2,500, I think) and get a GS. For the difference you’ll get the Z06 brakes and wide body. On the other hand, if you go with the base car, I don’t think mag ride is necessary.
OP lives in Minnesota, where A/S tires extend your driving season considerably even if you don't actually drive in snow.

As of today, no A/S tires available in the GS sizes. Michelin says they will be available this coming Spring, but they've been saying "this coming Spring" for four years now and the tires are still vaporware.

If I had to guess, I'd say "this will be the year", but I've been wrong before.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:36 PM
ChuckerC7
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Rickmc17 you might also look at Ryan Chev out in Buffalo and talk to Jake That's where I picked mine up last July 2LT with Mag Ride

Quick Reply: Z51 Option on Crappy Minnesota Roads?