C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Drivers - How do you keep paint fresh?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 PM
jko727
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Daily Drivers - How do you keep paint fresh?

I daily drive my C7 25 miles each way to work. My car has been getting smoked by rocks everyday because I commute on a highway that's under construction, and it's a real buzz kill lol. I hear them smacking the car pretty frequently on my drive, and I have several chips on the front of the car already.

So I have two main questions here. What do most of you do to help with this problem? Looking for any advice, tips, tricks, etc. XPEL is super expensive, but if that's my best option I'll do it, although I'm worried about a bad install.

Also in general, what are some best practices to keep the red paint fresh? Like when I get home at night and I pull into the garage, I see water spots and all sorts of surface scratches . Are there any good products I can use to wipe the car down each night when I get home? Apparently my detailing knowledge is subpar at best, so any tips or any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

If you already have some chips I would skip the Xpel for now. If you do decide to get it have the chips repaired or get the damaged panels resprayed first. Can you take an alternate route to work?

Last edited by rmorin1249; 01-18-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I drive my '14 every day. I had XPel installed on the front and other areas when I got it; no chips yet in 4 years. I don't stress about making it look perfect every day when I get home, just wash it when it gets dirty, clay bar it once or twice a year and seal it.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jko727
I daily drive my C7 25 miles each way to work. My car has been getting smoked by rocks everyday because I commute on a highway that's under construction, and it's a real buzz kill lol. I hear them smacking the car pretty frequently on my drive, and I have several chips on the front of the car already.

So I have two main questions here. What do most of you do to help with this problem? Looking for any advice, tips, tricks, etc. XPEL is super expensive, but if that's my best option I'll do it, although I'm worried about a bad install.

Also in general, what are some best practices to keep the red paint fresh? Like when I get home at night and I pull into the garage, I see water spots and all sorts of surface scratches . Are there any good products I can use to wipe the car down each night when I get home? Apparently my detailing knowledge is subpar at best, so any tips or any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
There are many, many options out there to address the issues you mention. You can get a protective mask applied like a product Expel. This is expense and there are risks associated with the installation. It is also fairly expensive. If you want to learn more about this just do a search on this for forum for “Expel”. Another much cheaper option is a removable bra like this: https://www.pfyc.com/C71100.html. Also, you might want to get up to speed on methods used by professional detailers to maintain your car’s finish. I use a forum called “autogeek.net” There is so much real good info you can find there and the primary detailer there also offers detailing classes that goes in detail how you can maintain your car’s finish. Also, I would encourage you to do a YouTube search and learn how to perform a “two-bucket” car wash. This method is very good at significantly reducing swirl marks the occur to your car’s finish. Hope this info is helpful. At least you are taking the first step by asking. good luck.
Gonzo (01-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
If you already have some chips I would skip the Xpel for now. If you do decide to get it have the chips repaired or get the damaged panels resprayed first. Can you take an alternate route to work?
I agree, kinda.

My plan would be to get the chips touched up if they aren't bad, give the paint a couple of weeks to dry, then clay and XPEL the front of the car.

If you will need to get the chipped areas resprayed, then no rush.

One of the best shops in our area, when I was thinking about having the hood/bumper on our C6 resprayed, told me "The best paint your car will ever have is the paint that came out of the factory."
Presuming it was done correctly the first time...
Old 01-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
There are many, many options out there to address the issues you mention. You can get a protective mask applied like a product Expel. This is expense and there are risks associated with the installation. It is also fairly expensive. If you want to learn more about this just do a search on this for forum for “Expel”.
Search for Xpel, not Expel.
JumpingJackFlash (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:59 PM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

XPEL Ultimate is amazing!! Regardless of the cost, it has changed the way I will treat a car from now on. Look, this stuff isn't bullet-proof, but I never have to wax it or worry about bug guts---EVER! The way I once would sweat things getting on my car's finish are over. It is worth every penny. I have the entire front end including headlamps covered as well as the doors, sill plates, rockers, and rear qtr panels. I have the rear end, targa and hatch to cover eventually. The good news is, you can do parts at a time and it doesn't seem as costly that way. (I am not a dealer or in any way associated with XPEL)

Last edited by stevettec7; 01-18-2018 at 09:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by stevettec7:
Carvin (01-18-2018), Lyn Go Fast (01-20-2018), tail_lights (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I purchased mine in 14.Xpeled it right away.No chips.It’s either protect it in some way or have it painted.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a similar commute daily, and even though I have another daily driver, I usually drive my sporty cars to work at least a couple days a week when the weather is nice. For years, I watched the front ends get chewed up by the Interstate commute, until I finally gave in and tried PPF (Xpel, Suntek, etc.). While expensive, it's a game changer for daily interstate driving. That is the first thing I have done to every vehicle purchased since and it makes life so much easier not worry about stone chips.

Not to mention how much easier it is to clean off bugs, plus not having to worry about getting the bug guts off immediately for worry of etched paint.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

XPEL/Suntek PFF on the front bumpers/hood/fenders and aftermarket sideskirts to keep rocks from the side/rear quarter panels.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple
XPEL/Suntek PFF on the front bumpers/hood/fenders and aftermarket sideskirts to keep rocks from the side/rear quarter panels.
Do you have a ball-park estimate what this would cost to have this done including labor costs? TIA
Old 01-18-2018, 11:24 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Another vote for Xpel. Very similar to the OP, roughly 50 miles round trip to work and my '15 is daily driven. 27.5K mile on it and while Xpensive (LOL) it is worth every penny. Looking to get the roof and hatch done currently, then the doors last.

JumpingJack, from what I understand the price varies at different locales, sometimes vastly. I had mine done at Xpel headquarters in San Antonio and at the time (2 years ago) for full front end including headlights, bikini cut (@2 feet up the front fenders/hood), rocker panels, rear mirrors and complete rear fenders it was right at 2 grand.

Last edited by tail_lights; 01-18-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:01 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

I drive mine daily to work and everywhere else. It gets chewed up by rocks too. I don't worry about it. It's a car. And, it's half the cost to respray the nose or the same replace it with a new clip than it is a wrap.
The following 2 users liked this post by ///ADMAN:
fairlydangerous1 (01-19-2018), JerriVette (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 04:26 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

You have two ways to go. Have the front resprayed, or have it touched up by a paint shop or detailer. Then get the Xpel or another clear bra product. That will really mitigate the rock chips well.
On red paint, or any other for that matter. Duragloss Aquawax is an excellent detail wipe down product. But you will get a lot of different opinions on that. Their are a lot of good product out there. I have tried several of them and found the Duragloss works best for me.
Meguiars Swirl X Swirl Remover for your scratches, etc.

Last edited by joemessman; 01-19-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I use 3m. Works good.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Make sure you don't tailgate.... leave a lot of room between you and the traffic ahead. Its amazing how this saves your car.

I'd get it repainted. Not really that big a deal if you find an independent shop who knows what they are doing. I had mine resprayed for < $500 with excellent results.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Cars, by the nature for which they were designed are going to take road damage over time. Keep the car washed and waxed as necessary. If it's you daily commuter, do the clean-up on the weekend and enjoy the car every day. If after a few years you think it needs a refresh, have a re-spray on the road-rashed areas.

Honestly, wiping a car down every night will likely produce more damage to the paint than if you left it alone and washed it properly on the weekend.

Xpel is a great product for a new car install. Applying after some damage has occurred only protects that damaged areas.

I had a number of Corvettes when I lived in a rural area when rock chips and oil roads were 4 miles of my daily commute (our road commissioner didn't even roll the rock into the oil, he let the traffic do that (Bastard)) . On-coming traffic would throw oily rock all over the sides of my Corvette. I recall seeing rock chips dangling off my side view mirror like a "Bungee Jumper". Yeah, the good ole days.

My options were to not drive the Corvettes at all or accept my situation and do a weekend clean up w/ a wash and wax. I had my front bumper and lower quarters resprayed after a few years. Yes, it sucks to have to drive our cars on some roads.

I have a buddy w/ custom Challenger and he went so far as to buy a POS pick-up truck to drive on his crappy roads rather than drive his Challenger. It sits most of the year in the garage w/ him wiping the dust build-up off w/ a baby diaper.

Crappy roads really limit your options.

Get notified of new replies

To Daily Drivers - How do you keep paint fresh?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I drove my C5 daily for the first 7 years (out of 9) that I had it and the worst part was in the winter time, it would get sandblasted with road salt and sand. But the rest of the year it wouldn't get too much damage. When I stopped driving it in the winter I had the front end repainted and the last couple of years it really didn't get too many chips on the front at all.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:08 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

I know this isn't the advice you are looking for but I'd recommend just living with it.

To me the choice is clear. Baby my car and never drive it or drive it every day and live with some rock chips. At the end of the day I'd rather drive my car than look at it. If it was a super rare car that I could never find another one I might feel different.

The juice is well worth the squeeze.

Last edited by spireland; 01-19-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:40 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I've daily driven all my cars - split the DD duties between my C7 and a Ferrari. They both get rock chips - cars do if they're driven. What Ferrari owners do is every few years have the front re-sprayed. I recommend the same with Corvettes....

Quick Reply: Daily Drivers - How do you keep paint fresh?