Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

The paint on my Corvette is perfect. Judging day (NCRS Top Flight). Buy an old one and paint it yourself, then maybe you would be happy.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

I think you just don't get it. IT IS A CORVETTE 1953-2019.... most GenX and BabyBoomers get it though.

"This is my Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Vette is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my Vette is useless. Without my Vette, I am useless. I must Drive my Vette fast. I must drive faster than my enemy(Mustangs, Ricers, etc.) who are trying to kill me. I must beat him before he beats me."
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaylars:
Apocolips (01-20-2018), eagle7175 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:01 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The kids today really want four doors these days so they can uber...
Old 01-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Billy346
It sounds to me like the C7 is not for you. Maybe you should be looking at a BMW M4 or Porsche Cayman?

The Corvette is an excellent sports car, but its still a Chevy. You've gotta take the bad with the good. A car that performs at the level of a car that costs twice as much has got to have some compromises.

If you change your mind and come back to the Corvette, just look carefully at each car you are considering before you buy it. Make sure the one that you buy has good body panel fitment and minimal paint flaws. Once you have purchased the one you want, send it to a good detail shop and have the paint corrected and ceramic coated for $1300.00 or so. Problem solved.

Finally, you will find that the seemingly huge flaws tend to melt away when you actually drive the car. Your neighbors, bystanders, and random admirers will also have a less pessimistic attitude towards the car.
Good response and one that doesn’t criticize the OP. I will agree that Chevy has had some paint and fitment issues and dealerships can be a real PITA to work with on getting anything fixed. Hopefully the new paint shop will do much better on the paint quality and the fitment of panels will get better. The dealerships may be another story, but there are good ones out there too.

If you really want a GS, wait until the 2019 models come out and check them over. If they are still not up to your expectations, maybe another brand would be a good choice.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:07 AM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
Maybe I'll catch a used c7gs in a few years with decent paint.. I wanted to like the c7gs but I'm gunna pass on it and wait for the c8 or midengine or whatever next comes out. GM needs to fix their paint QC issues and their customer service to stand behind their product better. Nothing is going to change unless people vote with their $$ or atleast complain or both.
Why don't you 'catch' that used one when it's new? Apparently the unicorn you speak of does exist.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Go buy something else...the german 911 sounds like what you would prefer.

You don't like the design ..hey different strokes for different folks...
Kinda my thoughts too. Not at all offended that you find issues w/ the Corvette. The car is not to everyone's taste. For the money, it is one of the best deals around IMO.

Get a base 911 or a Cayman S. Check out the Jag F Type. Plenty of other options. Certainly any of those are 'head-turners" and very nice rides.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 01-20-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:11 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

An addendum to my post above, my 2017 Z51 is a nice car but I look at it differently than my 67. I don't fuss over the care and upkeep of the 2017 like I did with the 67. The 2017 is a car, plain and simple.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I think his point are fair. Here are some thoughts.

- I have a Porsche and a GS. I had BMWs in the past. Nothing is a perfect experience. The Porsche is a great car but more expensive. And their service costs will **** you off. They don’t want you to even change oil yourself and you need to buy software and a cable to reset the service indicator or have them do it as part of the service. You will pay between $425 and $1500 every 10k miles for service. It’s insulting. BMWs become leaky pieces of sh*t in 50k miles. They just don’t last anymore. So there is no panacea

- My GS has pretty darn good paint and gaps, and I’m very picky. The one issue I did have was hood to fender alignment on one side. I fooled with it for about 45m and now it’s perfect. I agree the car should not have that issue, but considering what you do get for your money, and the generally low cost and ease of ownership, I’ll live with it. And the car is a ton of fun to drive and liveable on a daily basis.

- If you just don’t like the car it’s one thing. If the paint issues are the main thing, then check out some of the new cars coming out of the new paint shop.

Nothing’s perfect but these are really fun cars, and generally very reliable.
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (03-11-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,169 Likes on 5,991 Posts

"Paint correction" you're reading about for exotics is a synonym for detailing these days. Super high end detailers spend 2 days buffing then wrapping then using synthetic sealant. The guy local to me even airbrushed c-quartz on the suspension and wheel barrels on his "new car preservation" package. It costs like $2k but they wrap the whole car and seal everything.

This "paint correction" term is not dealing with paint flaking off the cars and bad panel gaps like we've seen on the C7s.

Also I have to think most of you justifying this on the C7 have never owned a $40k C5 or $50k C6? They didn't have these issues as prevalent as the C7. Just because it's a good performer doesn't excuse the issues.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Wanting a $70K new car to not have the paint falling off is OCD?
No... complaining about vents near the tail lights and the steering wheel is OCD. Bending rims? That's a gripe if you plan on doing burnouts on a pot holed road. The paint issue is resolved for the 2019 model year. That is a legitimate gripe if the car in question has paint issues. My 2016 vert is perfect so it's not every car that came out of the plant.

Bottom line, regardless of the car make or model, there will always be room for improvement and someone that likes it and someone that doesn't.

Last edited by direct007; 01-20-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 AM
tbran6
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default new paint shop example

Originally Posted by mammoth713
with how tribal everyone seems on this forum I know I'll get flamed for posting this but whatever

GM has a real problem on their hands that they cannot get millennials to buy corvettes...

I am a "millennial".. I have a good job, I have always loved GM v8 based cars, cts-v, z06, camaros, etc.. I currently have a c5z. Of the millennials, I am one of the more likely ones to drop the cash for a c7gs.... and yet they lost me as a buyer

I have been looking at getting a brand new c7gs for quite some time and to be honest, most of the cars on the lots had pretty bad paint issues, bumper fitment issues, etc and it's a huge turn off.

This is why GM lost me as a buyer for a new c7gs:
  • multiple c7gs/c7z I've looked at on the lot had terrible paint issues where the bumpers meet, etc. poor fitment. This is not acceptable. Don't care what excuses 80% of you forum members have made but this is BS. This is the "halo" car and yet you can get a better factory paint QC out of a toyota camry..
  • I've read multiple people on the forum who HAVE had paint issues and still bought the car. They get the runaround w/ GM and dealer of how to fix the paint issues or buyback, etc.. NO THANKS. I had one of the "best" shops in my area in LA paint my camaro after an accident where someone hit me, and had to take it back 3 times until it was acceptable. Plus the fact, the last chance I took the car in to the paint shop, they ended up damaging the center console and claimed the damage was there when the car was brought in. I had to threaten to take them to court for them to compensate me for the damage. Granted the work on my particular camaro was not done at a GM dealer, but the point stands that body work usually is half assed. No way in hell would I be ok with a dealer "fixing" my paint on my brand new $75k vehicle.
  • The apparent large volume of c7z and c7gs rims being bent so easily....
  • Minor personal aesthetic gripes but worth mentioning.. Steering wheel looks pretty bland and large aluminum surface. Something more race inspired like the newest gen mazda miata steering wheel or porsche steering wheels would look 100% better. Also, the vents around the tail lights on the c7 looks hideous and will go down in history as bad looking. That def will not age well. I'm A OK with them trying to change up the tail lights from being round but be honest with yourself, that back end design with the vents around the tail lights looks like an afterthought. The only version of c7 tail lights that look ok is the c7z with the clear tail lights paired with the wider hips.

Maybe I'll catch a used c7gs in a few years with decent paint.. I wanted to like the c7gs but I'm gunna pass on it and wait for the c8 or midengine or whatever next comes out. GM needs to fix their paint QC issues and their customer service to stand behind their product better. Nothing is going to change unless people vote with their $$ or atleast complain or both.
OP, the C7's rolling out of the new paint shop has much improved paint quality. Check out this video of a black 2018 Z06 painted in the new paint shop.
Z51RKT (08-05-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Well, bye...
I value overall performance MUCH higher than “perfect paint” but to each their own.

Kinda curious that you felt compelled to come here to the C7 forum and bitch about the fact that you are NOT going to buy a C7, isn’t it? What’s your end game here? Hoping we’ll all “see the light” about our “horrible” paint that we’ll sell our C7’s?

Last edited by Kent1999; 01-20-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:11 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by lupicon:
ptran00 (03-11-2018), ram_g (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by red62vette
I think his point are fair. Here are some thoughts.

- I have a Porsche and a GS. I had BMWs in the past. Nothing is a perfect experience. The Porsche is a great car but more expensive. And their service costs will **** you off. They don’t want you to even change oil yourself and you need to buy software and a cable to reset the service indicator or have them do it as part of the service. You will pay between $425 and $1500 every 10k miles for service. It’s insulting. BMWs become leaky pieces of sh*t in 50k miles. They just don’t last anymore. So there is no panacea

- My GS has pretty darn good paint and gaps, and I’m very picky. The one issue I did have was hood to fender alignment on one side. I fooled with it for about 45m and now it’s perfect. I agree the car should not have that issue, but considering what you do get for your money, and the generally low cost and ease of ownership, I’ll live with it. And the car is a ton of fun to drive and liveable on a daily basis.

- If you just don’t like the car it’s one thing. If the paint issues are the main thing, then check out some of the new cars coming out of the new paint shop.

Nothing’s perfect but these are really fun cars, and generally very reliable.

I like this response. I don't agree with the aesthetics issues the OP brings up. But you can't please everyone.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:00 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

People who complain about paint issues.

If it's not peeling, cracking, chipping, quit your bitching and drive your car or are you the types that leave it in the garage except for Sunday Show and Shines?
PobreWey (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 01:05 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

OP makes valid observations, some of which have been reported by the C7 "community".
GM addressed the paint issues with a major investment in a new paint plant, which leaves fit and styling as the major gripes... GM is on the hook for ensuring the fit of parts, but styling and a threshold of acceptable overall quality are matters of personal taste. To ensure the level of perfection the OP desires, the Corvette may not be his cup of mocha latte, and the cost of such quality will lighten his wallet, a fact my 911 Carerra S owning friend knows whenever his car needs maintenance or service.
I guess I lucked out as my C7's paint, fit and finish are great, and while I have minor whines on some styling points, it remains the best looking, best performing, best value car I have owned...
Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by tbran6
OP, the C7's rolling out of the new paint shop has much improved paint quality. Check out this video of a black 2018 Z06 painted in the new paint shop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-L9EIWmDAI
it looks like the paint quality has improved a lot. Not perfect but very much improved. I've seen worse on Porsches BMWs and Mercedes.

Get notified of new replies

To GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer

Old 01-20-2018, 01:28 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrc100
Sounds like you’re standard for paint is quite high. I think my black c7 looks great. I doubt a used grand sport will somehow have perfect paint especially considering it will be, um, used. First day of driving my Vette and some road debrie got kicked up into my driver side door and left a mark. I buffed most of it out but I still know that mark is there and with more use the more paint issues will present.

You asked the forum members to be honest with ourselves, I’ll ask you to be honest, you really don’t like the c7 design do you? That’s how it sounds to me and that’s okay.

Thanks for sharing your disappointment, it was helpful to us all. Lol.
Really? ...

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-20-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:56 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
GM did fix it, they invested a ton of money in the plant and the new paint shop and the newest cars coming out of it don't have these issues. If you order a new one or buy one off the lot that was built after the plant reopened in November you'll find the quality has greatly improved. I'm extremely happy with my 2018's paint quality and fit and finish.
Originally Posted by tbran6
OP, the C7's rolling out of the new paint shop has much improved paint quality. Check out this video of a black 2018 Z06 painted in the new paint shop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-L9EIWmDAI
I'm aware. I read the forums daily. I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes on dealer lots.

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
The OP is a millennial. Need I say more? You think the forum can send him a participation trophy?
There it is.. that sweet sweet perfectly distilled bigotry and hate against anyone who isnt a boomer and white

Originally Posted by RecklessOp
Your complaints are legit. Saying they're the explanation for millennials not buying C7's is ridiculous. Millennials aren't passing on Corvettes because of paint issues and body panel fitment. I know that's *your* issue, but you are really missing the forest here...
I'm aware why millennials are not buying C7s, however the ones that are in the millennial bracket and into cars, such as myself, may share some of my general perspective.

Originally Posted by Billy346
It sounds to me like the C7 is not for you. Maybe you should be looking at a BMW M4 or Porsche Cayman?

The Corvette is an excellent sports car, but its still a Chevy. You've gotta take the bad with the good. A car that performs at the level of a car that costs twice as much has got to have some compromises.

If you change your mind and come back to the Corvette, just look carefully at each car you are considering before you buy it. Make sure the one that you buy has good body panel fitment and minimal paint flaws. Once you have purchased the one you want, send it to a good detail shop and have the paint corrected and ceramic coated for $1300.00 or so. Problem solved.

Finally, you will find that the seemingly huge flaws tend to melt away when you actually drive the car. Your neighbors, bystanders, and random admirers will also have a less pessimistic attitude towards the car.
Originally Posted by Corgidog1
OP now make a list of the positives of the C7 and then compare the two lists before writing off the C7 or just spend another 30K for a 911 and to get similar performance and better fit and finish.
I drove multiple ones at dealers, they drove great. I could put up with the minor aesthetic gripes (steering wheel and tail light vents) if the paint was atleast a 9/10..

I didn't write down the entire backstory but for anyone who cares. I currently have a camaro and a c5z. So I am definitely a big fan of GM v8 drivetrain. I'm not a porsche/bmw/audi fanboy..

I like buying cars and keeping them for a long time and driving the hell out of them. I don't want a ferrari/porsche/bmw/audi that has to have those crazy expensive services every few years. If the car is always in the shop then what is the point of even having it? I DD my c5z

I was shopping between a used gen V viper, used c6z, used c6zr1, used c7z, new c7gs, jaguar f-type.
  • Jaguar seemed too much money for what it was, trunk was non-existent. Also questionable reliability
  • used gen V vipers were too expensive for what it is. Getting in and out of the viper sucked because I'm short and I have to have the seat nearly all the way forward. I wish the vipers had memory position seats that back up for you to enter/exit easier. I'm 26 and it was even a pain in the *** for me. Also didnt have HUD
  • used c6z had famous valve issues that I dont want to deal with. Yeah I know you can order fixed heads etc but I just dont want to deal with that issue, worried my motor is going to grenade
  • used c6zr1 may or may not have valve issues as well... dont wanna deal with that. Also, dont want carbon brakes, I prefer the steel rotors
  • c7z/c7gs was clearly the overall best product for the $$ in that rough price range. Main things that I liked are
    Don't get me wrong, the C7z/c7gs is the best product around that price point. I just cant drop the cash when so many of them have paint issues on the lots that I have seen with my own eyes. Plus the terrible customer service accounts I've read on this forum and of people that I personally know. Thus, as I said in my first post, I will wait and see if I happen to find a used c7gs unicorn that had good fitting bumpers, no paint issues, etc, or just wait for c8/midengine etc. Maybe might buy a c7gs at the last year of the production if all the paint issues are infact dealt with with the new facility. At that point tho, might as well get c8

Originally Posted by golden2husky
How many "Millennials" do you actually know? My nephew loves cars. I may have played a part in that ....The OPs complaints, styling issues aside, are legit and have been posted here over and over again. The simple fact is that consistent good assembly is a problem with the C7. It is irrelevant that the car is "just a Chevy". Many of you here probably hark back to the Malaise Era (or earlier) when American automobile assembly/reliability sucked. The fact that a young person is looking at an American car instead of automatically bypassing American showrooms without even bothering to look is a good thing and it is too bad that the product he found led to disappointment.

GM should care about what 30-40 year old people think. When Grandpa dies off in the next 10 years the Vette will die as well if the younger generation takes no interest in it. No sales, no more car.
Exactly.. all the car companies are styling their cars based on... Millennials. They should care what they think, being the fact they are the next wave of $$

Originally Posted by w0rM
I just posted basically the same thing in another thread... the C7 isn't the only car with fit and finish issues. Go spend 5 minutes on the Ferrari or Lambo forums. There are people dropping $250K to $300K on cars and taking them straight to the detailer for 2 days worth of paint correction.
"paint correction" would fix orange peel and slight scratches. I am 100% ok with a slight orange peel. My complaint is the bumper rubbing paint issues and paint flaking/chipping. That cannot be fixed by a "paint correction" process... The area would have to be resprayed

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Well, bye...
I value overall performance MUCH higher than “perfect paint” but to each their own.

Kinda curious that you felt compelled to come here to the C7 forum and bitch about the fact that you are NOT going to buy a C7, isn’t it? What’s your end game here? Hoping we’ll all “see the light” about our “horrible” paint that we’ll sell our C7’s?
So do I.. I own a c5z, which obviously wasnt the best fitment either however there are no issues of bumpers rubbing and poor fitment causing paint to flake off and chip on edges.

They read the forums

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-20-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Hollingswerth
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Your points are all valid......but you get what you pay for. I have a brand new, daily driver 2018 Grand Sport, 2 LT, 7 spd manual, competition seats in the exact colors I wanted and I paid less than $68K (not including tax). Where else can you get a performance bargain like that outside of GM. Porsche, as nice as their cars are are, will nickel and dime you for everything so that a nicely equipped car is $30K over base.

Where else could I have gotten a car with this level of performance, without paying twice as much?

Coming from Japanese and German sport cars, I had reservations about the quality, noise levels and fit & finish, etc. before I bought my GS....but can now say it is without question the best car I have ever had, and I literally look forward to driving it every day.

Quick Reply: GM lost me as a new C7 GS buyer