Grand Sport Owners Please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,782 Likes on 6,730 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC
JerryU, has your Vitesse ever thrown CELs or throttle sensor codes? I installed one in my '18 Z51 and it started throwing codes and limp modes until I removed it??? I thought it was the Range I also plugged in for my auto but it was the Vitesse. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly as the plugs only go in one way.
Only had one problem when after having it placed behind the front carpet (where it was working fine) was told by Vitesse it should be placed in the open air. I attempted to have it tied to a wire under the dash but one of the connectors came loose. It was in a limp home mode. Fortunately that was in my driveway!

Fixed that (as outlined in my PDF, see post #56) so no strain is placed on the connectors. All has been fine.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-26-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 127 Posts

I put a supercharger (A&A of course) the first week I had it. I'll be happy with it for a while.
I'll have to say the 2nd best thing I did was tune the transmission. It's a night and day difference!

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107
Old 01-26-2018, 11:10 PM
oldC5
Safety Car

Received 1,231 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@A&ACorvette
I put a supercharger (A&A of course) the first week I had it. I'll be happy with it for a while.
I'll have to say the 2nd best thing I did was tune the transmission. It's a night and day difference!
Pics
Old 01-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Hart1499
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I could of easily had a Z06 but got the G.Sport as I just didn't truss myself with that much power. I think after 835 miles I really made the perfect choice. My C5 with headers and a few other small add'ons was fun but I can feel the difference with the G.S.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:41 AM
vetteorama
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

GS is very balanced, I love everything about it. It handles great and is plenty fast enough to have fun and/or get you into trouble. Sure I wouldn't mind a Z06 or ZR1 but driving around in LA, I couldn't safely do much more in those cars than in the GS.... the track would be a different story.

Last edited by vetteorama; 01-27-2018 at 04:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JDMilw (01-27-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Got my car back in May, and have absolutely no problems with my decision.

In fact, I was planning to get the vehicle in general back in 2014 when I first saw it on the road while house hunting. Once it got serious in mid-2016, the Grand Sport was announced and I knew going in what I wanted almost a year before the deal was inked. I had money for a Z06 (especially considering the MSRP of my GS), but had no need for it. I'm also of the ilk that if I'm going to pay "x" amount of dollars for a vehicle such as this, it's going to be custom ordered. Again, no regrets there.

The 2LT in particular is the ultimate sweet spot between the array of models that's out there.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
Hypothetical speaking, if the GS had 800 hp and the Z06 had 1000 hp for an extra 15 large, we would be having the exact same discussion.
you sir are soooo wrong!!! With the Z06, what you get is 650hp which is kinda unuseable on the street, BUT what you get with a Blower is crazy torque down low!! Which makes the car soooo much more fun than any GS!!! I had a GS before, and Z06 is leap and bound better! tracking would be minimal difference, unless the driver is actually able to extract Z06 power, which isnt the case with most! But for the street, Cant beat a Z06 torque/fun factors!!! Makes me giggle every times!!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,441 Likes on 941 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Read the hypothetical again.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:03 AM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 983 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm a bit jealous of Z06 owners always being able to rip 650hp wide open on the highway for sure. If the GS had 500hp it would be perfect. I'm not sure how they improved head/intake flow, used high flow manifolds, added VVT and direct injection and only got 24hp more out of it over a 7 year design. I find it hard to believe they couldn't get it to 500hp, but I could be wrong.

Pushrod vs OHC has nothing to do with the torque curve. The engine doesn't give a **** whether the camshaft is above of below the valves. OHV has a lower RPM limit due to valve float (and it's pretty high with solid lifters) but that's about it. There are high low-end torque DOHC engines (diesel!) and screaming pushrod engines. Meh.
No current OHC sports cars engines are designed that way.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I added a Vitesse throttle controller as well and although I don't set it at 8 or 9 I added because my 2014 Z51 did not have MRC and I always drove in Sport for the steering and throttle response. But the Grand Sport comes with MRC and the ride in Sport and Track are stiffer than my none MRC with OEM 45 mm Bilstein shocks so I mostly drive in Touring.

I set the steering to "Always Sport" regardless on driving mode BUT no such option with throttle control! The response was not what I was used to in my 2014 for 3 1/2 years! The reason is shown in the tables from the Owner's Manuals below! With the 2014 I had the max throttle response in Sport. Now would have to have it set in Track. That is far to stiff for normal driving!

If anyone is interested this a PDF of my install: http://netwelding.com/Throttle_Control.pdf

Note for my 2014 Z51, none MRC I used Sport and it was the max throttle control rate. For 2017 GS would have to have it set for Track to get the fastest throttle response.

I use a setting of 4 or 5, which Vitesse says is a linear response not the slow response of the OEM setting at Touring! Feels like my 2014 Z51 set ta Sport.
Wow did not know the 17 has increased throttle in track-can you actually notice the difference between sport and track when you hit the gas?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:37 PM
mdlfcrisis
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went from a '14 ZL-1, that had more horses, but heavier,
GS makes me giggle like a little kid
love the looks and the handling
not yet wanting more power, as others have said, car already breaks loose in lower gears
Old 01-28-2018, 12:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,782 Likes on 6,730 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Wow did not know the 17 has increased throttle in track-can you actually notice the difference between sport and track when you hit the gas?
Before I bought the Throttle Comptroller, tried Track and it was much like my 2014 in Sport drive mode. Just did not want to drive in Track! Even for me too stiff! Too bad they do not offer an option as they do with steering and NPP to pick the mode you would like it to be in regardless of driving mode.

The Vitesse controller lets you go far beyond that, I call it "boy racer" setting.

Not quite like what I had in my first car, a '41 Ford Coupe that I put in an Olds engine to replace the flathead. The Olds was significantly higher. To get the throttle pedal lever at the firewall high enough to clear the manifold to the 4 barrel, had to increase the top lever about 5 inches. Had a friend braze an extension on to the OEM lever. That meant with a throttle pedal depressed less than 2 inches it was at full throttle! Far from the pedal hitting the floor board.

A bit touchy but learned to deal with it!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-29-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Before I bought the Throttle Comptroller, tried Track and it was much like my 2014 in Sport drive mode. Just did not want to drive in Track! Even for me too stiff! Too bad they do not offer an option as they do with steering and NPP to pick the mode you would like it to be in regardless of driving mode.

The Vitesse controller lets you go far beyond that, I call it "boy racer" setting.

Not quite like what I had in my first car, a '41 Ford Coupe that I put in an Old engine to replace the flathead. The Olds was significantly higher. To get the throttle pedal lever at the firewall high enough to clear the manifold to the 4 barrel, had to increase the top lever about 5 inches. Had a friend braze an extension on to the OEM lever. That meant with a throttle pedal depressed less than 2 inches it was at full throttle! Far from the pedal hitting the floor board.

A bit touchy but learned to deal with it!
Thank you for the feedback.
JerryU (01-29-2018)
Old 05-06-2022, 01:00 PM
sareed67
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoyed!

Originally Posted by vxplt
I now have 1060 miles on my ‘18 GS and I must say that overall the power is plenty what I don’t like is that the engine is a “lazy” responder especially in the lower (below3000) RPM range which is typical for an old design (pushrod).
Having owned, and still do, modern design Audi and BMW’s the response or laziness is very annoying!
However I still love the car😀
I'm more annoyed that you have 1060 miles and are annoyed at the laziness...It's a garage queen, drive it!
Old 05-06-2022, 01:32 PM
mikebutson
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 106 Posts

Not sure why you think Grand Sport has many more Ponies than Non Grand Sport? My 19 Stingray Coupe has 460 HP.....I guess I'm not worthy of giving you my 2 cents!!!! LMAO!!!
Old 05-06-2022, 01:41 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,143 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Hello all, I asked this question a few months ago when I just bought my Grand Sport. I am 57 and usually do not drive crazy fast ,unless early morning , or on the way to Vegas. My question to fellow Grand Sport owners is if you are happy enough with the power and acceleration? Many of you are real car enthusiasts and I wonder if this car has the power that you are happy with. I would love to have a ZO6 , but that can’t happen. Love to sit in both from 0 to 60 and see if “I” and I mean I , could feel a real diffence. Just want to know if you GS owners are super satisfied. Thanks in advance and look forward to reading opinions and views!
Its an additional 190 hp The Z06 it is the PERFECT CAR.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:43 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,143 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
you sir are soooo wrong!!! With the Z06, what you get is 650hp which is kinda unuseable on the street, BUT what you get with a Blower is crazy torque down low!! Which makes the car soooo much more fun than any GS!!! I had a GS before, and Z06 is leap and bound better! tracking would be minimal difference, unless the driver is actually able to extract Z06 power, which isnt the case with most! But for the street, Cant beat a Z06 torque/fun factors!!! Makes me giggle every times!!
The Z06 has ungodly good brakes also I could never go back to a GS.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Owners Please...

Old 05-06-2022, 02:05 PM
SGM Snake
Instructor

Received 186 Likes on 66 Posts

Relax Sareed
The original post was 2018 and he has (if he still does have it) a 2018 GS with 1000 miles.
But yes they need to be enjoyed
ZedConn (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 03:02 PM
Rctreece
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
The Z06 has ungodly good brakes also I could never go back to a GS.
Brakes are the same unless you are talking about the ZO7.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:12 PM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sareed67
I'm more annoyed that you have 1060 miles and are annoyed at the laziness...It's a garage queen, drive it!
lol, maybe looking at dates when this post was made (3 months after I received it new) would help? Instead of dumb remarks maybe you should work on comprehension…🤪

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Owners Please...