M7 Shift Knob Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:47 PM
mytherapy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sharp!

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Had similar ones on my C5 and a C6. This is a stock shifter. We'll see how it works out over the next week or so.

Kind of a crappy pic. Too much sunshine coming into the car.

Attachment 48248844
Thats sharp!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:53 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 254 Posts

Had one on my C6Z06 and the que ball rattled under acceleration. When removed you could see where the end of the shifter shaft was vibrating within the space inside the que ball. I suppose you could fill it with silicon caulk or something and quiet it down. I just put the factory shift **** back on and the rattle went away. Be curious to hear how the C7 works out with these.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
Had one on my C6Z06 and the que ball rattled under acceleration. When removed you could see where the end of the shifter shaft was vibrating within the space inside the que ball. I suppose you could fill it with silicon caulk or something and quiet it down. I just put the factory shift **** back on and the rattle went away. Be curious to hear how the C7 works out with these.

Screw is secured with blue Lock Tite. Not sure why it would start rattling if properly installed.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:13 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,331 Likes on 3,531 Posts

"Too slippery."

Sweaty palms??? I'm clearly not doing something right!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC57
Screw is secured with blue Lock Tite. Not sure why it would start rattling if properly installed.
It wasn't the screw that caused the rattling. The shift **** was very secure on the lever. It was inside the shift **** where the very top of the lever contacted the inside of the shift ****. On acceleration when the shift lever was vibrating, it would rattle/buzz inside the shift **** and was very noticeable. When I returned to the stock shift ****, the rattle/buzz went away. Maybe I just got a bad one. Don't know.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Foosh
Another alternative is a weighted shift **** which compensates for the extra effort required with a shorter throw. This one weighs 1.3 lbs. and is brushed stainless, which nicely matches the console metal trim. It's height-adjustable, allows you to retain the stock shifter, which is great, and still shorten the throw or keep it stock height.

Which **** is that? Also which shifter? Looks nice.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,759 Likes on 6,718 Posts

It wasn't the screw that caused the rattling. The shift **** was very secure on the lever. It was inside the shift **** where the very top of the lever contacted the inside of the shift ****. On acceleration when the shift lever was vibrating, it would rattle/buzz inside the shift **** and was very noticeable. When I returned to the stock shift ****, the rattle/buzz went away. Maybe I just got a bad one. Don't know.
Used a 2 1/4" que ball **** on my 2014 C7. Installed "the same" ball in a different color on my Grand Sport as soon as I got it (see post #6 on this thread for the aluminum ring and OEM screw issues I encountered- the OEM screw head sheared when removing!) A suggestion for those removing the OEM ****. Had no issues removing the screw on my 2014 but some instructions suggest driving the car enough to get the shifter hot. Assume they are trying to get the "Blue Loctite" hot so it's easier to extract. I tried a soldering iron after I had some difficulty but it was too late. The screw head had probably already started to yield and shear. PIA to fix. Had to drill out that small screw. I'd suggest using a soldering iron tip to heat the screw before using a wrench. May not be needed but can't hurt.

Because of the issue of the leather boot coming lose (which I fixed with silicon adhesive) and the screw head shearing was reluctant to mess with the **** that started to rattle after ~6 months. I assumed as you found it was the aluminum on the que ball **** base rattling on the OEM steel shaft. The manufacturer of that **** had changed from what I bought in 2014 and perhaps it's the clearance difference.

My solution was to install an MGW "flat stick" shifter. It has a different grommet that replaces the OEM aluminum. It is held on with a plastic tie. When I called MGW I mentioned the rattling and they indicated they had heard of that issue with the aluminum base *****. They offer a 2" que ball for their flat stick. However I wanted the 2 1/4" I had been using. They recommended their vendor who makes them in several sizes, even 2 1/2 inch diameter if desire and many other colors and color combos. Note, the MGW ball screws onto the flat stick, no issues with rattling. Love the shifter and it's 25% shorter throw. This is a PDF of my install. Not hard but much more than installing a ****!
http://netwelding.com/MGW_Shifter.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 11-11-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Glock 23C
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 75 Posts

SLOWRYDE i know exactly what you are talking about. I had the same rattle on my C5 when I put the Hurst ball on. It seemed to come and go depending RPM's. I would just put my hand on it until it stopped.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:21 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Had the issue with the **** installed on my stock shift linkage (same as white ball in picture in an earlier post), It buzzed at certain RPMs and gears. Had to take it off to put the stock shifter back on to get rid of the buzz. Maybe if I install the MGW short shifter, this will be a non-issue?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,785 Likes on 4,199 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I like all of them!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:36 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 552 Likes on 327 Posts

Weighted ***** are the way to go! Makes an amazing difference. I recommend weighted with stock or aftermarket shifters. I love mine on my MGW Flat Stick.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:05 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Received 395 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Had the issue with the **** installed on my stock shift linkage (same as white ball in picture in an earlier post), It buzzed at certain RPMs and gears. Had to take it off to put the stock shifter back on to get rid of the buzz. Maybe if I install the MGW short shifter, this will be a non-issue?
I noticed that with my C6. A piece of electrical tape on the top of the shaft cured it. I haven't installed one on my C7 yet.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,331 Likes on 3,531 Posts

As noted, that stock retaining screw can prove to be a possible problem on some C7s. Mine was too tight to break loose without fear of ruining the head. What I did was simply take my electric soldering gun and heat the screw... it didn't take much. With the gun it's very easy to totally localize the needed heat and the screw easily comes loose.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,824 Likes on 14,295 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I like the shift **** - good choice for your car.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Avanti
As noted, that stock retaining screw can prove to be a possible problem on some C7s. Mine was too tight to break loose without fear of ruining the head. What I did was simply take my electric soldering gun and heat the screw... it didn't take much. With the gun it's very easy to totally localize the needed heat and the screw easily comes loose.
Yep, was planning to use my soldering iron before I removed the screw on my Grand Sport shiftier. BUT since I have no problem removing the screw with my 2014 I tried without first. When the GS was hard to get to break lose I waited and used a soldering iron then. Perhaps did not leave it on long enough.

Used a product that increased gripping force on a stripped Phillips head screw, etc by up to 8 fold. It worked too well!! I sheared off that small screw head! PIA to remove the broken screw but was able to use the somewhat longer screw that came with the replacement cue ball ****!

Then after 6 months it started to rattle so, as I posted above, added a MGW "Flat Stick Shiftier" that has a threaded ****. Bought a 2 1/4 cue ball from the vendor who supplied MGW their slightly small OD ****. Been almost ~year and love it.

BTW, when talking with MGW it was indicated the replacement cue ball **** has been reported to rattle by others. From when I used the cue ball **** on my early 2014 it changed vendors! Looks like the material or tolerances changed.

PS: Had a similar "Loctite" issue with my drain plugs on the GS! The side plug had a very strong Loctite type product. It was also not possible to use my planned 6 point 15 mm socket as the oil cooler extends longer than my 2014 Z51 and the ratchet handle or long extension would not fit! My 12 point box wrench was rounding the hex head on the plug! Devised a way to get it off but suggest for those doing that first oil change themselves buy a 6 sided 15 mm box wrench. A bit unusual wrench but found one on Amazon at a good price. What is funny, the front drain plug came off with very little force. It was definitely not close to the torque spec! Go figure.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-26-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:56 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Had similar ones on my C5 and a C6. This is a stock shifter. We'll see how it works out over the next week or so.

Kind of a crappy pic. Too much sunshine coming into the car.

Attachment 48248844
Looks great , where did you buy from ? Is the C7 shift boot and **** one piece or easy to just change the ****?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:57 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb185afm

Weighted ***** are the way to go! Makes an amazing difference. I recommend weighted with stock or aftermarket shifters. I love mine on my MGW Flat Stick.
Which one is this?

Get notified of new replies

To M7 Shift Knob Installed

Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,820 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I like the ones that do not have the shift pattern embedded in the top. Let 'em guess!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:00 AM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerryU
Looks great! Loved mine on my 2014 Z51 so put one on my Grand Sport. Helps the 1st to 2nd shift and the commonly used 4th to 7th shift. It also reduces the stroke by ~12% (as it sits lower on the shaft.)

Had some issues getting the chrome ring off the 2014 and when it tuned easy on the Grand Sport-thought super! Not to be - the leather just came out of the ring!

Fixed that but then the OEM **** screw would not turn and was rounding the small Torx recess. Bought a paste I had heard about but never used. It increases the friction 5 fold or more! It did! Thought I had turned the screw head 180 degrees but found all I did was shear the screw head from the screw body!

Fixed that as well! The new **** installed fine! This is a PDF of the install on both in case anyone finds similar issues: http://netwelding.com/Shift_Knob.pdf

Great write up, where did you buy the **** from , RPI design?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, that is an old PDF. However it's been updated and the last page presents the problems I had after ~1year and the solution- I installed an MGW flat stick shifter!

The install on my 2014 was fine for the 3 years I had it. The PDF covers the issues I had installing on my 2017 Grand Sport BUT after ~1 year started to rattle! Bad at certain rpm. I replaced the whole shifter with an MGW flat stick shifter and solved all vibration issues. When talking with the engineer at MGW he had others report vibrations with the newer cue ball ***** for the OEM shifter.. The manufacture of that **** for the OEM shifter did change. Was it my **** with a slightly large aluminum bottom (note the OEM **** is plastic)- don't know but this is a PDF of that install.

http://netwelding.com/MGW_Shifter.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 03-11-2019 at 06:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
boss2k (03-11-2019)

Quick Reply: M7 Shift Knob Installed