Sponsored by:

Cop Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 02:50 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I have been driving a Corvette for many years now, and I have not noticed any special attention from cops. I have never even been stopped in my Vette and I have passed cops while driving slightly over the posted limit. I have even had a few "thumbs up" from passing officers.

So I would say no.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

C7's attract a lot of attention from cops.

Way more than my C6 did. It's probably the one negative I have about the car.

I'd rather cops focus on other things anyway, like preventing what I call "real crime" (aka violent crime) and not worrying about people who are going 5 MPH a speed limit. But that's just my inner libertarian.
The following users liked this post:
justplainjim (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Have not found the Corvette to be a Cop magnet. My experience is if you are speeding or in violation of any other traffic law then you become a so called cop magnet.
How you handle it from there could mean a ticket or if you are lucky a warning to be careful.
Rebel Yell (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
C7's attract a lot of attention from cops.

Way more than my C6 did. It's probably the one negative I have about the car.

I'd rather cops focus on other things anyway, like preventing what I call "real crime" (aka violent crime) and not worrying about people who are going 5 MPH a speed limit. But that's just my inner libertarian.
You do realize that certain law enforcement officers are assigned to TRAFFIC details. You deviate from traffic and you get removed from the division. I belonged to a federally funded program called STEP (SELECT TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM) many decades ago. It required a two year commitment to solely traffic laws and investigating accidents. Crimes in progress (bank robberies, etc..) were the only allowable exceptions. I'm sure the same traffic units exist today. The "why don't you work real crime?" statement is unfortunate and a disservice to hard working law enforcement. The simplest traffic stops yield amazing arrests, from serious drug traffickers to outstanding warrants for every crime imaginable. I personally had a guy wanted for bigamy out of Tampa in Hillsborough County. I'll never forget that one, right alongside a wanted murderer from California. I still remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck with that one. It was the simplest of traffic stops.
The following 7 users liked this post by Atomic6:
AttyVette (02-05-2018), BRussell (01-31-2018), CptCvMan (01-31-2018), F22DAD (02-01-2018), G8R-Vette (01-31-2018), Rebel Yell (01-31-2018), VictorBarron (01-31-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:46 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Atomic6
You do realize that certain law enforcement officers are assigned to TRAFFIC details. You deviate from traffic and you get removed from the division. I belonged to a federally funded program called STEP (SELECT TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM) many decades ago. It required a two year commitment to solely traffic laws and investigating accidents. Crimes in progress (bank robberies, etc..) were the only allowable exceptions. I'm sure the same traffic units exist today. The "why don't you work real crime?" statement is unfortunate and a disservice to hard working law enforcement. The simplest traffic stops yield amazing arrests, from serious drug traffickers to outstanding warrants for every crime imaginable. I personally had a guy wanted for bigamy out of Tampa in Hillsborough County. I'll never forget that one, right alongside a wanted murderer from California. I still remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck with that one. It was the simplest of traffic stops.
Do not agree. Money should be spent elsewhere.

We need generic beat cops, not guys sitting around looking to write tickets for minor traffic violations.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:54 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

The LE guys are just doing their job. I have zero problem with them patrolling and monitoring traffic. Understandably this muddies the debate for more HP in our Corvettes.

*Plenty of drunk drivers (I read that after dark 1 in 10 of the cars approaching has an impaired driver at the wheel). Distracted drivers idiots that feel the need to drive recklessly and blow through red lights, or in Florida, the Mr. & Mrs. Magoo's that basically have no clue and should not be behind the wheel under any circumstances.

Don't know how many times I said to my wife, "Where are the cops" when I see some really bad driving and disregard for everyone's safety.

That cop that watched you make the turn could just as well be observing an idiot that would floor the car around the corner and go full throttle down the road. I know, I've seen it and it's one of those "where are the cops", moments.

*Fact: Consuming just 3-4 beers for 170-pound male is enough to make him too drunk to drive. For a woman of average size, it may just take 1 to 3.

Way too many times when my wife and I are out for a early dinner, Happy hour 2 for 1, we watch guys w/ two 20 ounce beers go through two or three rounds and then get in their cars to go where-ever.

Certainly if one has a propensity to push the limits, they would want to see LE focus their efforts elsewhere other than traffic.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
CptCvMan (01-31-2018), G8R-Vette (01-31-2018), Rebel Yell (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

People demonstrate very poor judgement when driving. Without traffic enforcement they would just drive even worse. As much as some my not like it, without traffic enforcement the roads would be chaos.
The following 5 users liked this post by DWillys:
Atomic6 (02-02-2018), CptCvMan (01-31-2018), dvilin (01-31-2018), F22DAD (02-01-2018), Rebel Yell (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Do not agree. Money should be spent elsewhere.

We need generic beat cops, not guys sitting around looking to write tickets for minor traffic violations.
I've got to disagree here my friend. If you ever had to see what a car can do to a human being, or had to investigate such an accident as myself, and my brothers/sisters have I think you would have a different opinion. Even the most "minor" of traffic violations can have devastating results.
The following 7 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
Atomic6 (02-02-2018), BRussell (01-31-2018), CptCvMan (01-31-2018), dvilin (01-31-2018), F22DAD (02-01-2018), G8R-Vette (01-31-2018), VictorBarron (01-31-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I've got to disagree here my friend. If you ever had to see what a car can do to a human being, or had to investigate such an accident as myself, and my brothers/sisters have I think you would have a different opinion. Even the most "minor" of traffic violations can have devastating results.
I have. I work in Automotive, I'm aware of the safety implications.

The issue I have is Traffic enforcement is NOT about safety. It's about revenue generation.

If it was about safety we'd have more tickets written for no turn signal, improper lane change, failure to keep your vehicle in working order (headlamps, tail lamps, etc), distracted driving.

Basically, and this is in Metro Detroit mind you, people get pulled over for 2 things: Drunk Driving and Speeding. That's it. OK maybe the occasional Red Light runner.

In fact, I think disproportionately there is a focus on Drunk Driving at the expense of all other enforcement (save speeding). People know this, and drive accordingly. The times on the roads I see the "best" behaved drivers are Friday and Saturday nights.

All the traffic laws should be enforced equally, and if there isn't man power to do that then they should all be ignored (or changed). cherry picking offenses is bullshit and gives cops too much latitude.

And in regards to Drunk Driving specifically, the problem is the law. It should be .03 or .05. that way ONE DRINK for everyone is over the limit. Makes it pretty freaking clear, you drink anything you don't drive. This whole "well I'm probably under the limit" bull is how most people get caught. And it's a significant source of revenue generation for the government. If they cared about SOLVING the problem, they would SOLVE it. Not leave it up to cops to find the people who are "buzzed."

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 01-31-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:19 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DWillys
People demonstrate very poor judgement when driving. Without traffic enforcement they would just drive even worse. As much as some my not like it, without traffic enforcement the roads would be chaos.
Newsflash, the roads ARE CHAOS. At least here in Detroit. People do whatever the hell they want on the roads. No one follows any rules.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:25 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

If the cops would enforce the "slower traffic keep right" laws and cite the dolts who fail to use their blinkers, they would not have any time to go chasing speeders. Additionally, the roads would be so much safer and we would have less road rage & traffic congestion.

Last edited by JK 23112; 01-31-2018 at 03:25 PM.
LT1 Z51 (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 PM
ChuckerC7
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd have to say on the question being a retired patrol Deputy Sheriff for 26 years that "NO" Corvettes do not get looked at like "when's this idiot going to do something so I can pick on him?" To be honest I used to see the local corvette guys out at the big cars and coffee show and look at the way they kept their cars up and being proud owners, also the average age of most Vette owners I'd say didn't do stupid things that brought attention like the kid in the jacked up farm 4x4 with loud exhaust. In all years I only stopped one Vette and he deserved even more paper then he got (Village Idiot) Now the ones that in truth were stopped more often, were your Mustang's and Toyotas with that loud coffee can exhaust, want to be racers!
Yes you'll get the looks with your Vette only when a cop see you, only because your driving a nice ride, and he'll be thinking "someday I'll get one of these ride" (I did)

Remember when you do get stopped by an officer, please be nice and polite because your the one that's writing the ticket he's just holding the pen and paper. The nicer you are the nicer he/she will be and they will ask questions about how you like your car and how's the ride?.

The following 7 users liked this post by ChuckerC7:
Atomic6 (02-02-2018), crawfish333 (02-01-2018), F22DAD (02-01-2018), G8R-Vette (01-31-2018), pdiddy972 (01-31-2018), Rebel Yell (02-01-2018), Vetteram (02-01-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:24 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Coming back from Carlisle, I was pulling the C7 on my open trailer. Had a minor issue on the road and my trailer's old plate bracket snapped. 2:30am, 10 minutes from my house, sheriff's car pulls out and starts folllowing me all the way to the last light before my sub. At the light, he pulls up next to me and I show him my trailer plate out the driver's window. He says "what's that?". I said my missing trailer plate. He says "hell, I been following you for 10 minutes, didn't even notice. Would you mind pulling into the gas station so I can see that gorgeous car under the lights?". Ended up talking a while, funny guy. And you can never have too many police friends.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:53 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
^^^ Did you even read the OP’s post? Doesn’t sound like the “cop” did anything except drive around a building and pulled out...

Nonetheless, I don’t think that a Vette is a “cop magnet” any more than any other car. Maybe some Vette drivers are just a little paranoid.
I think cops like Vettes.

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 01-31-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:06 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
And you can never have too many police friends.
I have lots of cop friends. They're all regular guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by F4 Phantom:
LT4CMG (02-01-2018), Rebel Yell (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:07 PM
iTom
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=. I'm a model citizen and proceed at 35 in a 35. After one block the patrol car turns around in hunt of more interesting prey.

Given the fun I was having earlier, my lucky day![/QUOTE]

Thank you for representing all of us model Corvette citizens! It had to be so frustrating for that patrol car!!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

The one thing you guys need to realize is Crime Doesn't Pay!

Speeders in flashy cars do!
More money is generated into the municipality by traffic violations. There are always going to be more cops writing speeding tickets than going after a drunk driver. Do you know how much extra paperwork that is? Where is a meth head going to get money to pay any fines? They are not!

But you in the shiny sports car can afford a 360.00 speeding ticket once in awhile.
Who cares if your insurance hits you for the next three years? At least you are doing your part to help out the community.

Speeders make money!
You never see a cop writing a ticket for a JA driving around in a rain storm without headlights on. The cops don;t want to get wet for only a 100.00 fine. And here, you never see a cop write a ticket for a DA running a red light... Mainly because the cops are too busy texting to pay attention to the traffic flow.

[/sarcasm]

Get notified of new replies

To Cop Magnet

Old 01-31-2018, 11:33 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Funny thread.

People who take speeding seriously don't drive Corvettes.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

This is an amusing thread. Corvettes never appear on the list of most ticketed cars according to the insurance industry. The link below bestows that title on the Subaru WRX.

It seems to me the old man's car stereotype plays in one's favor in a Corvette. They don't fit the profile of the type you you'd be stopping if you're interested in battling real crime. Now if you're a young guy in a Corvette, it might be a different story.

Of course, these numbers are misleading because they're usually higher volume cars that get driven all the time giving them more exposure. So many Corvettes live mostly in garages, that they'll never make the list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...kets/16490255/

Last edited by Foosh; 02-01-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:19 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
The one thing you guys need to realize is Crime Doesn't Pay!

Speeders in flashy cars do!
More money is generated into the municipality by traffic violations. There are always going to be more cops writing speeding tickets than going after a drunk driver. Do you know how much extra paperwork that is? Where is a meth head going to get money to pay any fines? They are not!

But you in the shiny sports car can afford a 360.00 speeding ticket once in awhile.
Who cares if your insurance hits you for the next three years? At least you are doing your part to help out the community.

Speeders make money!
You never see a cop writing a ticket for a JA driving around in a rain storm without headlights on. The cops don;t want to get wet for only a 100.00 fine. And here, you never see a cop write a ticket for a DA running a red light... Mainly because the cops are too busy texting to pay attention to the traffic flow.

[/sarcasm]
Mike, if nothings changed (since I left) all the monies from traffic violations in North Carolina go to the school systems. Of course the way they **** money away it's hard for parents to tell if that's true these days.
dvilin (02-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Cop Magnet