Sponsored by:

Cop Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 AM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Cop Magnet

So I took the GS out for a spin this evening. Came to an intersection with a red light. I'm in the left turn lane. There's a building catty-corner from me with access around the back from both sides. I look ahead and happen to notice a black patrol car pull into the back of the building (easy to miss at night). I'm thinking, if I were that cop and I saw a Corvette parked at a red-light, I might be tempted to sneak around the backside of the building and wait for him to blast by and then pull out and give him a ticket.

Light turns green, I make my left turn and drive past the building. Sure enough, the patrol car is right on the other side and pulls out behind me. I'm a model citizen and proceed at 35 in a 35. After one block the patrol car turns around in hunt of more interesting prey.

Given the fun I was having earlier, my lucky day!

Popular Reply

01-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
C7's attract a lot of attention from cops.

Way more than my C6 did. It's probably the one negative I have about the car.

I'd rather cops focus on other things anyway, like preventing what I call "real crime" (aka violent crime) and not worrying about people who are going 5 MPH a speed limit. But that's just my inner libertarian.
You do realize that certain law enforcement officers are assigned to TRAFFIC details. You deviate from traffic and you get removed from the division. I belonged to a federally funded program called STEP (SELECT TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM) many decades ago. It required a two year commitment to solely traffic laws and investigating accidents. Crimes in progress (bank robberies, etc..) were the only allowable exceptions. I'm sure the same traffic units exist today. The "why don't you work real crime?" statement is unfortunate and a disservice to hard working law enforcement. The simplest traffic stops yield amazing arrests, from serious drug traffickers to outstanding warrants for every crime imaginable. I personally had a guy wanted for bigamy out of Tampa in Hillsborough County. I'll never forget that one, right alongside a wanted murderer from California. I still remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck with that one. It was the simplest of traffic stops.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:39 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

He may have just wanted to look at your car. It happens.

On a recent cross-country trip a LEO merged behind our group and followed us for quite awhile. We were careful not to give him a reason to stop us. Eventually he passed us, pulled to the side of the road and gave us a thumbs-up as we passed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grand Slam:
thrilled (01-31-2018), Z06NJ (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:40 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

When I drove this:

I used to get followed all the time too.

Now I drive this:

They seem to pay no attention to me at all now.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:47 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

LOL I got a ticket just for following a little old lady driver....yup was a detour sign on street..so I proceed and follow the drivers ahead of me. Seemed all the cars followed the leader.
Got a ticket because everyone followed a car that went over a one way bridge sign....oh well.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:58 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
LOL I got a ticket just for following a little old lady driver....yup was a detour sign on street..so I proceed and follow the drivers ahead of me. Seemed all the cars followed the leader.
Got a ticket because everyone followed a car that went over a one way bridge sign....oh well.
So what's the big deal. Just tell the cop you were only going one way.
The following users liked this post:
ojm (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:45 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Martman C7

Now I drive this:

Stealth. My choice, also.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Sneaky for sure but the ones I used to sneak behind at night were the barely street legal drag strip type cars with the extraordinary loud exhausts that caused residents to call downtown. I didn't bother with Corvettes much as I knew most owners were careful and not reckless. Not all, but my career was in Florida and the average Corvette owner was 60+ years old, just like yours truly now.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic6
Sneaky for sure but the ones I used to sneak behind at night were the barely street legal drag strip type cars with the extraordinary loud exhausts that caused residents to call downtown. I didn't bother with Corvettes much as I knew most owners were careful and not reckless. Not all, but my career was in Florida and the average Corvette owner was 60+ years old, just like yours truly now.
I never paid attention to the car, only the way it was being driven. I was a LEO for 28 years, and drove Corvettes for 20 of them. (and a COPO Camaro for one of them)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:57 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Apparently all of the drug dealers, child molesters, and crack heads are all locked and he had nothing better to do than bust your *****..
Old 01-29-2018, 01:38 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

^^^ Did you even read the OP’s post? Doesn’t sound like the “cop” did anything except drive around a building and pulled out...

Nonetheless, I don’t think that a Vette is a “cop magnet” any more than any other car. Maybe some Vette drivers are just a little paranoid.
dvilin (01-31-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:39 PM
laserjack
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Hard for many to accept/realize how many "drug dealers, crack heads" and arrest warrants, etc....are arrested/solved by minor traffic infractions. Stopping for something doesn't mean a UTT is issued.......31+ years as LEO in upstate NY.
The following 4 users liked this post by laserjack:
Dado5 (01-29-2018), F22DAD (02-01-2018), SG Lou (01-30-2018), VictorBarron (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:23 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Mustang owners tend to be younger than Corvette owners, from what I see in my neck of the woods. Just Saturday night, I was coming back from a WHole Foods market and this guy in a heavily modded 70's era mustang (red convertible) was out looking for some action. High revs, Stop light launches, etc. I saw him a mile away because everyone couldn't help but to. I pass him with a lane between us just minding my business then the creeps up in the lane next to me, goes in neutral, revs up and takes off. The lanes were somewhat crowded so there's no room to do any racing so I smile and let is slide, like I was going to do anyways (Cough).

Point is I can see why mustangs get more attention from LEO's: another stereotype.

Originally Posted by Martman C7
When I drove this:

I used to get followed all the time too.

Now I drive this:

Old 01-29-2018, 02:29 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I have many LEO friends at the local,county & state level.

(They say) they are told to profile certain cars/trucks that are usually driven over the speed limit.The Corvette is certainly one of the autos on the unofficial list.

I doubt if this is news to anyone.

They follow me often.

\db2
Old 01-29-2018, 02:39 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
^^^ Did you even read the OP’s post? Doesn’t sound like the “cop” did anything except drive around a building and pulled out...

Nonetheless, I don’t think that a Vette is a “cop magnet” any more than any other car. Maybe some Vette drivers are just a little paranoid.
He was definitely waiting for me. I saw the patrol car go behind the building just as I pulled up. The light had just turned red. I sat there for a good two minutes or so. Then he pulled out from the back just as I passed. But that's cool, of course. It's his job to make sure we're all driving safe. Sometimes the GS overwhelms my capacity for restraint. In those instances, I'm particularly happy if it's at a later point that I come across a LEO.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

I am and have always been a car guy, owning numerous 60's Corvettes and muscle cars. I appreciate the gear head crowd since I am one of them. I would stop and compliment gear heads on their rides. Would only cite or warn them if they were really driving stupid or caused accidents.

Made many "criminal arrests" for stopping cars with minor infractions, "probable cause".

The following 2 users liked this post by VictorBarron:
F22DAD (02-01-2018), petepd (01-30-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,219 Likes on 3,460 Posts

"He may have just wanted to look at your car. It happens."

I've driven... well, "unusual"... cars all my life and many times over the decades have experienced insistent gawkers, no shortage of whom were in law enforcement.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by petepd
I never paid attention to the car, only the way it was being driven. I was a LEO for 28 years, and drove Corvettes for 20 of them. (and a COPO Camaro for one of them)
Originally Posted by Atomic6

I'm sure my brothers above will agree the myth that LEO's stop a car for it's type, or color is just that, a myth. I never wrote a ticket to a car, it was the knucklehead behind the wheel that caused me to "scratch a pad".
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (01-31-2018), F22DAD (02-01-2018), petepd (01-30-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Cop Magnet

Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 PM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Speeding ticket

I got a ticket for speeding a few weeks ago. I was doing 71 in a 40 zone. 150$. But the officer was really cool. He asked if I knew how fast I was going, which I didn't. Then he said do I have any reason for going 71, except that I was driving a ZO6 Corvette. I kind of laughed, and said that was reason enough. He wrote me up, then proceeded to tell me about his 50TH. anniversary Corvette! Talked for about 45 minutes...Invited him to our club! Made a new friend that day!
The following 2 users liked this post by rogergcam:
JK 23112 (01-31-2018), Rebel Yell (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:16 PM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I just got a no front license plate ticket with my GS which is a moving violation in VA. I have driven different cars (Cayman, M5, etc...) with no front plate for the past 15 years with no problem. Also my car is all stock and doesn't even have tinted windows.

Last edited by changw1; 01-30-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Scudz
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 192 Posts

I was pulling out of an Octoberfest and there were 2 officers on foot directing traffic with their cars parked in the center lane with lights flashing. As I inched on by, one of them said “light it up”. Without hestitation, I mashed it, ran a few gears and got the exhaust to start crackling. I looked in the rear view and they were having a good laugh, one of them hunched over. It would’ve been a shame if I had blown that opportunity!
Rebel Yell (01-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Cop Magnet