Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's really disappointing when...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 AM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default It's really disappointing when...

I normally only get to drive the vette on the weekend since parking it at work isn't worth the risk. This week, I'm headed out of town and was really looking forward to getting to drive it for the week until I checked the weather. It's going to be cold and raining all week. It's not that I'm against it getting wet, but I'm just not a fan of driving it (especially 500 miles) in that weather. So... Guess I'm taking the truck. At least it has remote start so I can get into a warm vehicle.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Drive it anyway.
Once you arrive at your destination, park as close to the entry door as possible.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,599 Likes on 5,560 Posts

Originally Posted by segen77
I normally only get to drive the vette on the weekend since parking it at work isn't worth the risk. This week, I'm headed out of town and was really looking forward to getting to drive it for the week until I checked the weather. It's going to be cold and raining all week. It's not that I'm against it getting wet, but I'm just not a fan of driving it (especially 500 miles) in that weather. So... Guess I'm taking the truck. At least it has remote start so I can get into a warm vehicle.
You may get "tared & feathered" in this thread by the "corvettes are meant to drive" folks, however I see your point.

I don't buy my "toy" vehicles to drive every day, I buy them to enjoy and drive when I want too which is usually on clear Saturday and/or Sunday mornings. I fine it therapeutic after a stressful week to take a fine sports car out for a spirited drive on a beautiful morning.

My daily driver is a 22 year old Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with 406,000 miles on it that's perfect for no-stress poor weather driving.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Mike Mercury (02-03-2018), Rebel Yell (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:16 AM
segen77
Racer

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Drive it anyway.
Once you arrive at your destination, park as close to the entry door as possible.
Yeah, it's not about parking at the destination. It's about the drive in general. I just don't enjoy driving the car as much when it's raining. Couple that with such a long drive, and it just isn't worth it. If I was going somewhere closer, it may be different.

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
You may get "tared & feathered" in this thread by the "corvettes are meant to drive" folks, however I see your point.

I don't buy my "toy" vehicles to drive every day, I buy them to enjoy and drive when I want too which is usually on clear Saturday and/or Sunday mornings. I fine it therapeutic after a stressful week to take a fine sports car out for a spirited drive on a beautiful morning.

My daily driver is a 22 year old Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with 406,000 miles on it that's perfect for no-stress poor weather driving.

Yeah, I know there will always be those that have to be negative. Guess some people just didn't get hugged enough as a child. In any case. I have a perfectly fine truck I drive as my DD as well. Frankly, I enjoy driving the truck quite a bit. Just enjoy taking the fun car out whenever possible.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:21 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Once my original tires wear out, I will put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP tires on. That will make driving much better in all conditions other than snow.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:23 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Yeah, it's not about parking at the destination. It's about the drive in general. I just don't enjoy driving the car as much when it's raining. Couple that with such a long drive, and it just isn't worth it. If I was going somewhere closer, it may be different.
Two things are for sure; rain washes dirt into places that you just plain cannot get it out of, and performance cars generally are not very comfortable over long distances.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The weather doesn't cooperate in Texas for a weekend. The weather doesn't cooperate in Wisconsin for the winter. My GS will go four months with the odometer stuck at 5 miles.

Trying to cheer you up, segen.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:30 AM
segen77
Racer

Originally Posted by c54u
Once my original tires wear out, I will put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP tires on. That will make driving much better in all conditions other than snow.
I will likely do the same, but I don't anticipate needing new tires any time soon. The car actually handles fairly well in the rain as it is, but when you couple it with the cold, it gets a little sketchy.

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Like I said in my above post get ready to get tared and feathered.

I can't understand why the "I drive my C7 everyday" folks are so concerned how little other drives their's.

Personally, I couldn't care less how much or how little "others" drive "their" C7s.
There's always someone that needs to be a bully.

Two things are for sure; rain washes dirt into places that you just plain cannot get it out of, and performance cars generally are not very comfortable over long distances.
I hadn't thought about dirt getting into places, but you're probably right. I will say that I've taken the car on a couple of longer trips and was actually really impressed with how comfortable it was. It's not a Caddy, but I didn't get out feeling sore either.

Originally Posted by US Icon
The weather doesn't cooperate in Texas for a weekend. The weather doesn't cooperate in Wisconsin for the winter. My GS will go four months with the odometer stuck at 5 miles.

Trying to cheer you up, segen.
Wow, that actually makes me feel better and worse. lol. I can't imagine not getting to drive it for months, but I bet when you get back into it, it's like a brand new car each time.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by US Icon
The weather doesn't cooperate in Texas for a weekend.
I didn't even think of that.
Here in Houston your kind of taking a big chance traveling in the rain. Park in the wrong spot and your car might be underwater when you return ....
Old 02-03-2018, 11:34 AM
segen77
Racer

I didn't even think of that.
Here in Houston your kind of taking a big chance traveling in the rain. Park in the wrong spot and your car might be underwater when you return ....
Man, you're not kidding. There was so much loss from Harvey that is still being dealt with.

I came across this really cool story the other day though. It's not related to cars, but just a great feel good story.
http://www.adweek.com/creativity/how...ricane-harvey/
Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

In the same boat. I don't like driving mine in the rain at all. I don't get any enjoyment out of it. It's made to be quick and handle well. Neither can be done safely on wet pavement. Plus it gets dirty :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by saleen556:
DALE#3 (02-03-2018), joemessman (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I don't like driving mine in the rain either. But at the end of the day, it is a car. Plus, it gives me a chance to see how well it performs in bad weather.

And...I like wiping it down too. So it's not all that bad.....
Old 02-03-2018, 11:49 AM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

The Corvette absolutely is comfortable over long distances.
The following users liked this post:
DALE#3 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow a 22 year old Tacoma with 406 K, pretty impressive!
Now on to driving in the rain. I treat my Vette like I treat my Harleys. I like to keep them show ready clean. So for me for the few hours of pleasure driving them on shitty roads or in bad weather it's not worth the hours of cleanup time I need to put into bring it back to the way i like it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Inferno24:
DALE#3 (02-03-2018), joemessman (02-03-2018), Kevin A Jones (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,599 Likes on 5,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Inferno18
Wow a 22 year old Tacoma with 406 K, pretty impressive!
Now on to driving in the rain. I treat my Vette like I treat my Harleys. I like to keep them show ready clean. So for me for the few hours of pleasure driving them on shitty roads or in bad weather it's not worth the hours of cleanup time I need to put into bring it back to the way i like it.
100%
Old 02-03-2018, 01:11 PM
segen77
Racer

I can understand that. I'm one of those strange people that find washing the car somewhat therapeutic, but I am extremely **** about it being clean. Mostly because it stays in a garage. My truck stays dirty, even though I wash it often, because it sits outside and there's just no hope.
The following 2 users liked this post by segen77:
Kevin A Jones (02-03-2018), Rebel Yell (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I agree with the first part of your statement but disagree wholeheartedly with the second. I've driven many different high performance cars on super long trips (15+ hours of driving per day for instance) and have never found them uncomfortable at all. Corvettes make great long trip cars, they get better highway MPG than most midsize sedans and minivans out there!

Get notified of new replies

To It's really disappointing when...

Old 02-03-2018, 01:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Patman
I agree with the first part of your statement but disagree wholeheartedly with the second. I've driven many different high performance cars on super long trips (15+ hours of driving per day for instance) and have never found them uncomfortable at all. Corvettes make great long trip cars, they get better highway MPG than most midsize sedans and minivans out there!
Fair enough ....
The following users liked this post:
Patman (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I get it segen. I don't mind mine getting rained on, but I don't make it a habit of taking it out when it's raining, or I know it's going to rain. And, a cold rain is definitely a no-no for me. Heck, now-a-days I don't like going out into a cold rain at all.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 02-03-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Yeah, times are tough everywhere. But, seriously, I drove my new C5 for four years everyday, rain, sleet, or whatever. The d**ned summer tires that come on even the base C7 negate that without swapping out for something else. I feel your pain!

Quick Reply: It's really disappointing when...