Sponsored by:

How much is my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I don't see a lot of supercharged C7s for sale. Your stock Z51 with the miles on it is worth right at $40K here in central Texas. '14s are showing up for less than $40 regularly now. You might be better off taking the mods off and selling them separately like was mentioned before.

Most people are looking for a un-modded car, but good luck on the sale of your car.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
It is going to take a special buyer as most will be scared off by the mods.
True that.

Originally Posted by Dave1998
I am sure many others here will agree with me
I do.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS

Most people are looking for a un-modded car, but good luck on the sale of your car.
I get that, it's obvious that I would have a much smaller market for a modified car
Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by KnOmEeZy
I just think you guys are undervaluing your vehicles.
No. You are overvaluing yours. By modding the car you have reduced the population of buyers who are interested. That reduced population translates to less value. You needn't get into the philosophy of it at all. The market is what it is.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:46 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by mschuyler
No. You are overvaluing yours. By modding the car you have reduced the population of buyers who are interested. That reduced population translates to less value. You needn't get into the philosophy of it at all. The market is what it is.
which is why the option of converting it to stock and selling parts to yield 60k is an option.

keep in mind someone said 30k in this thread...
Old 02-13-2018, 02:47 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Here it's worse. The OP just screwed a bunch of mods he wanted and left it at that. There's no indication that the result is reliable or fast. He gives no indication he's run many miles and he openly states he's never done a quarter or a top speed or a loop of VIR or whatever he was after.

Frankly, it looked to me at the OP that he screwed all this on, then realized it was a bad job and is now bailing.
The following users liked this post:
jbc1995fb (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

$100K ? I don't know what all that might entail, but if return on investment is the issue, 1) you "invested" in the wrong thing, and 2) anything you can unbolt and sell separately is your best bet for recouping a little of it. Otherwise, it's just another used car. A search of such for sale will give you your best estimate of what you might get for yours, but asking price and selling price often vary, of course.

All the best, in any event.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:02 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Here it's worse. The OP just screwed a bunch of mods he wanted and left it at that. There's no indication that the result is reliable or fast. He gives no indication he's run many miles and he openly states he's never done a quarter or a top speed or a loop of VIR or whatever he was after.

Frankly, it looked to me at the OP that he screwed all this on, then realized it was a bad job and is now bailing.
and the earth is flat and vaccines cause autism.

you ignore the part where I said I wanted to run it this season? You know the car is not for sale yet right?

I also have every receipt from every part and install...

but go ahead and just make stuff up in your head and choose to believe it lmao
Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Avanti
$100K ? I don't know what all that might entail, but if return on investment is the issue, 1) you "invested" in the wrong thing, and 2) anything you can unbolt and sell separately is your best bet for recouping a little of it. Otherwise, it's just another used car. A search of such for sale will give you your best estimate of what you might get for yours, but asking price and selling price often vary, of course.

All the best, in any event.
thanks,

car was 75k new, easy to go over 25k with these parts installs, tuning.

but yeah, I feel like this forum has been clear on that

I also feel like a majority of corvette guys here don't have a lot of experience in the modified market vs. A regular used car.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS

Thanks, if I sell it
Old 02-13-2018, 03:20 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

which is why the option of converting it to stock and selling parts to yield 60k is an option..
Brings up an interesting point. If you returned the car to stock and sold it, would the fact that it had been modded be disclosed? There are some who would claim these mods, even if taken off, represent diminished value. And if taken off, the only way to tell is to look at the ECM for a tune, which would at east indicate that "something" had been done to the car, assuming a buyer was astute enough to check. So my question is, would you disclose what had been done to the car or would you just forget to mention the mods?
KnOmEeZy (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:27 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

and the earth is flat and vaccines cause autism.

you ignore the part where I said I wanted to run it this season? You know the car is not for sale yet right?

I also have every receipt from every part and install...

but go ahead and just make stuff up in your head and choose to believe it lmao
All mouth and no runs. I'd not bid on your car at all and if asked by a friend, I'd advise a pass. I don't see a functional car but a hot air production machine.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:33 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
All mouth and no runs. I'd not bid on your car at all and if asked by a friend, I'd advise a pass. I don't see a functional car but a hot air production machine.
You sure are an angry little fella
Old 02-13-2018, 03:39 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Brings up an interesting point. If you returned the car to stock and sold it, would the fact that it had been modded be disclosed? There are some who would claim these mods, even if taken off, represent diminished value. And if taken off, the only way to tell is to look at the ECM for a tune, which would at east indicate that "something" had been done to the car, assuming a buyer was astute enough to check. So my question is, would you disclose what had been done to the car or would you just forget to mention the mods?
Interesting question. I would disclose it in the listing, and if asked.

If I were to sell it to a dealership, I probably wouldn't bring it up.

I doubt I would go through the trouble in the long run of converting it back, probably just keep it if I couldn't sell it for a decent price or find a buyer who has experience with modified cars.

Last edited by KnOmEeZy; 02-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:07 PM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd list it for $50K
KnOmEeZy (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 PM
KnOmEeZy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JayhawkCPA
I'd list it for $50K
Thanks for the input
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by DPC57
FWIW, almost bought this car last November. Notice it's still on their lot at a decent price with a name brand mod package. And not selling.

https://www.carspluslenoir.com/windo...TTE%20STINGRAY
Good example --
This modded (supercharger, etc) 2014 3LT Z51 for $46,500 in NC
that you mention should give the OP a good idea for an "asking" price" --

Last edited by raff; 02-13-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How much is my car worth?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I do well enough to be comfortable, and have a few toys in the garage, and more in the various shops that keep them hostage most of the year.

I just think you guys are undervaluing your vehicles. Granted I see how nonsensical I am trying to see an increased value in my mass produced chevy hotrod. Lol.

I guess it's partout or wait to find someone looking for a modified car (trust me they exist)
Compared to the GTR the C7 is a high volume vehicle. GM produced about 4 times more C7s in 2014 than all of the GTR production combined over all of the years it has been produced. You are talking about a lot smaller Customer Base with different interests than the Corvette Customer base. That alone will swing what people are willing to pay and then of course there is the volume of cars available at a great price for somebody to put their own mods on and not rely on your version. Put it back to stock and sell it and the mods separately.

You are trying to compete with a professionally engineered and built C7 Z06 that has everything put together in a nice package. There are plenty of used ones around with most still having at least a couple of years left on their power train warranties.

Bill
KnOmEeZy (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:54 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I do well enough to be comfortable, and have a few toys in the garage, and more in the various shops that keep them hostage most of the year.

I just think you guys are undervaluing your vehicles. Granted I see how nonsensical I am trying to see an increased value in my mass produced chevy hotrod. Lol.

I guess it's partout or wait to find someone looking for a modified car (trust me they exist)
The problem is you can buy your car with a shitload more performance upgrades (brakes, cooling, wide body, etc etc etc) as factory stock with that many miles for your same asking price. It's called the Z06. They're a pully and some minor mods away from making the same power. Quite frankly, almost everyone would rather have a factory stock Z06 than your car. You need to price yourself under Z06s of the same mileage.

thanks,

car was 75k new, easy to go over 25k with these parts installs, tuning.

but yeah, I feel like this forum has been clear on that

I also feel like a majority of corvette guys here don't have a lot of experience in the modified market vs. A regular used car.
You paid $75k for a stingray?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by village idiot
You paid $75k for a stingray?
Sure. That's not unusual. I paid $72K and that was with a 12% discount off MSRP (3LT vert, MSRC, etc.) Add sales tax on that and you exceed $75K easily.

Quick Reply: How much is my car worth?