C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the pros/cons of run-flats vs. non run-flats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Have you run the PSS non-ZP on a C7? It matters not comparing them on different cars.
Yes several sets! On the C7 Z06's Have you? Never tried them on a C7. The zero pressure is the better traction tire. The non flat wears longer but has less grip.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
There is only one very very small advantage to having run flats-you can drive 50 miles after you get a flat rather than relying on a compressor and goo and being able to safely pull over to fix it and then hope it works.

I would not drive my vette without run flats.
Its a bit more than that. Retuning from a 5000 mile trip on the interstate at speed the tire pressure light came on and began to drop. By the time i could exit it was at zero. I drove 3 miles to a small town to get to an air pump. As I began to fill I could hear air rushing out. On closer inspection I discovered the inside edge had worn through tho the threads.
I was a bout 25 miles from a town with at suitable tire changer. It was all on a two lane count road not shoulders at 20-30 mph, quite safely.
No tow truck needed. No need to get off the road and scrub the rocker panels in the gravel. It saved a lot of body work, not to mention time to repair. I just drove to the ire shop and they fixed it and I was on my way.
I will put runflats on very thing I own. I dont mind a harsher, I exoect that on a Corvette anyway, and the cold tire chatter is not a bother, good grief.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Run flats are like insurance for me and I am willing to pay the small extra premium for that insurance to give me peace of mind and to save me the time, hassle, and aggravation of dealing with a flat tire, wherever I am.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:54 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I was driving my daily driver just this past Saturday night. Non-Runflats. Hit a pothole and both of my passenger tires went flat instantly. Pulled over to the side of the highway and waited 90 minutes for AAA to send a flatbed, They drove my friend and I 30 miles to the closed National Tire and Battery location in my town and then dropped us off at home. If, I was in my vette, chances are I would have been fine and could have driven home myself and not killed the total of two hours including the time it took to load the car on the flat bed and go to the tire shop. On top of that...there aren't many tire shops that have the equipment to change a C7 tire. I've found that out just recently too. Runflats can save you a ton of time and aggravation.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,988 Likes on 5,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
There is only one very very small advantage to having run flats-you can drive 50 miles after you get a flat rather than relying on a compressor and goo and being able to safely pull over to fix it and then hope it works.

I would not drive my vette without run flats.
Actually the advantage is larger than you suggest. Yes, you can get 50 miles at 50 miles per hour if you want to be able to repair the runflat.

However, if the tire is non repairable (hole in sidewall or near sidewall, too large of a hole in the tread, etc) you can drive on it indefinitely until you feel like going to the tire shop. I doubt it would be a safety issue if you drove over 500 miles on a tire like that.

Sure you don't want to be driving at speeds above 50 mph but if you live in town and most of the time you are driving at speeds of 35 to 50 mph you might be able to wait months before going to the tire shop. You can't do that with a Non Run Flat tire, no way.

If you can keep air in the tire for a couple of hours you can also stop every now and then and fill the tire while maintaining full speed capability. Then the tire can be repaired at some later time without worrying about how many miles you drove at 50 mph on zero pressure.

People talk about getting stuck in the wilderness and not being able to purchase a replacement run flat but the same is true for any tire you put on a C7 and the run flat gives you the advantage of being able to drive to someplace where you can get a replacement. Not so with the non run flat tire.

The Michelin run flats on the C7 handle as well as any non run flat tire as only the inner sidewall is reinforced. The outer sidewall is the same as a non run flat tire (Spring Mountain school has a cutaway tire so you can see this yourself). They may ride a little more harshly but I haven't noticed as the only time I run non run flat tires is on the track. Then I mount Hoosier DOTRs or Pirelli Slicks (lower cost). They ride about the same as the Cup2s so I can't say much about an improved ride.

When people say you can't do something because the tire doesn't have any air I say So What, it is a run flat use it as intended.

I get a kick out of people who think they are going to lie alongside the road trying to put a plug in their rear non run flat tire (only access to the tread is when the tire is turned so the hole is facing the rear of the car below the quarter panel). No way would I do that in the day light let alone in the dark when for some unknown reason of fate it seems like most flats occur.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Allen_B (02-19-2018), owc6 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:29 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Here's the reality in this day:
They cost damn near the same. They don't wear out any faster. They're slightly heavier and you'll never notice unless you track it a lot. If you have a blow out on the street or track, you'll be very thankful you have runflats. If I could get my track tires in run flats I would. My biggest fear on the track is having a tire go flat on the track and crashing because of it. Or someone else dropping a tire and hitting me. IMO, all track tires should be ZP. It slows down everyone equally and no one will care after that.

It's why my track tires have TPMS.

Cons: They're a bit stiffer rider.

Last edited by village idiot; 02-19-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

This is just my experience my friend, YMMV. I put non run flats on my C6. They were smooth riding, quiet, and handled just fine for cruising the highways. I bought a plug kit, and air pump for a just in case.

But, here's the rub with me. I just couldn't shake the thought of what I would do if I poked a hole in one that was too big to plug. So, I'm going to stick with the run flats as the Michelins are as good as the non's I put on the C6. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:27 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

This is the first car I've owned without a spare tire, and have needed to use a spare maybe four or five times in decades of driving with the security blanket of a spare in the trunk easing my mind.
When a spare tire was not an option on the 'vette, the thought of having a ZP tire on an unrepairable flat tire on the proverbial dark 'n' stormy night in a bad location gave me nearly the same warm 'n' fuzzy as a spare tire and wheel...
Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I get a kick out of people who think they are going to lie alongside the road trying to put a plug in their rear non run flat tire (only access to the tread is when the tire is turned so the hole is facing the rear of the car below the quarter panel). No way would I do that in the day light let alone in the dark when for some unknown reason of fate it seems like most flats occur.
Bill
The "plug kit and compressor" sounded like a good idea till I figured that it would not work for a number of puncture locations, and after I picked up a screw and slow leak on the INSIDE of my left rear tire, I gave up the thought and was glad the car had ZP tires had the damage been more severe...
If it had been worse, I can only imagine the fun of trying to repair that puncture even on a bright, sunny day...
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I've put a lot of miles on my Vettes without a problem. But I've also had two flats on my runflats too. The first time it happened and I heard the ding-ding-ding I started pulling over on the freeway before realizing that it wasn't necessary. I drove it home, drove a few miles the next day, and took it in for repair the following day. One was repairable and the other not. Neither happened on a dark stormy country road at night but I was sure thankful that I had runflats both times. And now it's just a given that I get them on a corvette.

Quick Reply: What are the pros/cons of run-flats vs. non run-flats?