Sponsored by:

Friend just crashed his Supercharged ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

It's both brakes AND accelerator slammed to the floor, as illustrated in this video. This car might have ALL nannies turned off...

BTW, one of my favorites is GP (good point).

Last edited by ZMMMMM; 02-21-2018 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 AM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMMMMM
It's both brakes AND accelerator slammed to the floor, as illustrated in this video.
BTW, one of my favorites is GP (good point).
I vaguely remember some kind of electric braking system that JC Whitney sold in the '60s where you could lock up the front wheels only. It was controlled by a button that they showed mounted to your shifter. Never saw one of these in person though.

This "brakes AND accelerator" slammed to the floor technique seems like a little more than I'd be willing to put my car through. Must be tough on the rear brakes and maybe a little tough on the torque converter and drivetrain.

Thanks for the lesson.

Regarding "GP" -- thanks again for defining it. IWHNGWIMO. (I would have never guessed what it meant otherwise.)

Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
There is definitely something missing or at least more to the story here because a) I've felt nannies kick in on sport 2 and b) there are still some nannies in race (though, not much). I'm not sure I've noticed any difference in throttle sensitivity, but that's not to say there isn't a difference.

edit: With all respect to Bill's opinion, why would it say reduced engine power instead of throttle progression like it does in the chart right above it for non PTM modes?
There is more to the story.

Actually, I’m unsure if my own comment above is precisely correct. AH works by “small individual brake and engine torque applications”. So, if you are doing a burnout, that implies you have the brake pedal slammed to the floor. I’m unsure if AH can then add any additional braking to the corresponding wheel where it is needed (if the car starts to fishtail). This would be a GQ (good question) for the engineers that developed the system. And, considering how often owners do burnouts, a GQ for owners to know the answer to.

Another test would be to turn off TC, and, leave on AH. Then, on wet pavement, floor the accelerator. The rear wheels should crazy-spin, but AH should intervene to keep the car pointed how you are steering it.

Obviously, don’t actually try any of this here, or, “somewhere in Mexico”.
You guys need to get out and just try this stuff. With TC off and AH on you can get the car pretty sideways. You can also overpower the TC and AH use of the brakes. You can also get it to snap into a slide quicker than the system can react.

It's both brakes AND accelerator slammed to the floor, as illustrated in this video. This car might have ALL nannies turned off...
Light pressure on the brakes is all that is needed to keep the spin going and reduce forward speed like the guy in the video is doing.

Originally Posted by driver9
I vaguely remember some kind of electric braking system that JC Whitney sold in the '60s where you could lock up the front wheels only. It was controlled by a button that they showed mounted to your shifter. Never saw one of these in person though.
It is called a line lock. People that drag race install them all the time. Some mfg's are including them now such as mustang, challenger, etc. As I recall, there was a big issue because Ford put it on the car, but then voided warranty if you used it on a drag strip.
driver9 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
The TC doesn't do much for the Z. It snaps so fast you have to start correcting before you hammer the pedal. The car will loop even with TC and in some cases by the time it intervenes it makes things worse. I run it in our wonderful 30F weather with TC off and try to get a better feel for what this snap monster is doing. My ZL1 is much easier to feel and predict.
I'm glad someone pointed out the Z is traction-starved even with the TC turned on.

Originally Posted by driver9

Regarding "GP" -- thanks again for defining it. IWHNGWIMO. (I would have never guessed what it meant otherwise.)

LATSWATDA...(let's agree to stop with all the dumb abbreviations).
JHEBERT (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

It takes some serious effort to spin a c7 with nannies on.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:05 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Spinning it is easier in cold temps. It is 16F here at noon today. So wonderful.

Another factor that can contribute to crashing these things in a scenario that the OP posted about, is the eLSD. When you turn nannies off, the eLSD is still doing it's fancy business for which no one seems to know the algorithm. In a fishtail scenario with yaw pitch changing rapidly the eLSD could misjudge, and cause additional oscillation. I have experimented with this too. Also, the car could have a malfunctioning eLSD and never throw a code so GM doesn't know how to fix it. I have experience with this too.

So the OP's friend could claim the car malfunctioned. Who could prove otherwise?

Last edited by djnice; 02-21-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by village idiot
It takes some serious effort to spin a c7 with nannies on.
It's not that tough to spin (or lose control) of a Z06.
We've seen evidence of that kind of thing on YouTube.
The following 3 users liked this post by sunsalem:
Johnp94 (02-22-2018), Maxie2U (02-22-2018), NSC5 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:13 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The nannies are very good at controlling the Z when someone pushes it a little too far but they are designed to ASSIST a reasonable driver and not make the world safe from a total moron. If you try to enter a hairpin turn on the Tail of the Dragon at 140 MPH you are past the point where anything can control the vehicle (well anything except the solid rock side of a mountain). If you accelerate a little too hot with cool tires on a cool surface it will get you back in line. But if you nail the throttle on cold tires on a crowded street you are likely to be into something before the control systems can unwind your stupidity. The torque from a Z06 will result in behavior you won't generally see with a naturally aspirated or even the typical turbocharged engine which won't have the near instantaneous availability of diesel engine like low RPM torque.

Remember, the slang term for these protective systems is "nanny" and not God. Like a children's nanny they help keep children in line but they can't always overcome a determinedly stupid adult.

Last edited by NSC5; 02-22-2018 at 07:16 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by NSC5:
AORoads (02-22-2018), BlackMamba89 (04-24-2018), Foosh (02-22-2018), JerryU (02-22-2018), kenownr (02-22-2018), sunsalem (02-22-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Well said.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Yes, it's traction control, not traction boost. All it can do is manage the traction you have, not add additional traction. It can straighten you out or cut throttle when you are on the gas too hard, but it can't add more front grip when you're lead footing the brake into a turn you took too hot.

With that said, it's hard to **** up a drag race with AH on.
sunsalem (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 PM
Norse
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
Not everyone buys a vette to wax it and do cars and coffee. Who am I kidding, I’m just a mustang driver trapped in a vette
So much for the break in period.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

She just had the oil change, it’s broken in
5500mi now and runs like a raped ape
sunsalem (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

more importantly, I learned I can actually have numerical gauge readouts instead of some stupid ******* gauge that is impossible to read. Tour mode will be my new track mode.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

The numerical readout on the track gauge is a plus for buying an 2018.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
I think people here are using TC as a shorthand for traction control and active handling. This makes sense. As far as I know they are a unified system in modern cars and you can't turn off one without turning off the other.

True in some of Corvette's Competitors over the years but they active handling and traction control have been able to be turned off since the Corvette started having those features installed. Newer competitors allow the same thing now. For instance on the C5 you could turn off TC, leave AH in its normal mode or put it in Competitive Mode which let the car move around more. Same went for the C6. Then during the C6 years they developed PTM which is very sophisticated. That was carried over to the C7 cars that have MRC. With PTM you get extreme stability control and traction control in Wet Mode, less in dry mode, a sort of competitive mode in Sport1 without any traction control but still have PTM (performance traction management). In Sport 2 all you get is PTM and in Race all you get is PTM. From a throttle standpoint any of the modes below race dampen the throttle change and in race you don't get any dampening. Dampening isn't a limit on Horsepower but on how rapidly the throttle will open and close since closing throttle can sometimes be trickier for an inexperienced driver than opening the throttle. Sometimes that get away from it moment is brought on when a driver slams the throttle open, starts to slide, lifts their foot all the way off the throttle which then causes the car to loop around. That is what they call trailing throttle oversteer and large cubic inch engines (especially in the lower gears) can basically turn a car around if you take your foot off the throttle in the wrong manner. That so called safety valve of lifting that can be done on lesser cars isn't always available on any Corvette unless it is the old 53-55 6 banger.

You need to know how to drive and considering that 99.99999% of US drivers have no clue what that means there is a lot of trouble when they get behind the wheel of a car that does what they tell it to do when they tell it to do it. Even when they didn't mean to tell it to do what it is doing.

Bill
Old 02-23-2018, 04:01 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I have a 2017 and the most dangerous thing I can do is try to figure out my engine oil temp.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Don't know why they can't update the 17's.

Get notified of new replies

To Friend just crashed his Supercharged ZO6

Old 02-23-2018, 04:26 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Don't know why they can't update the 17's.
because it costs GM more than $0.00
Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I know, as soon as I turned the dial to Track mode on my new '18 and saw that numerical readout of all important parameters, Track display mode became my all-the-time setting regardless of driving mode.

I'm also using Track/PTM Wet as my almost all-the-time winter setting in daily driving since it keeps MSRC in Tour mode and it keeps both TC and ESC fully engaged. It is remarkable how it only puts down the right amount of power to prevent wheel spin, without being intrusive.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

PTM wet works way better than weather mode. Lots of people don't get the difference.
Foosh (02-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Friend just crashed his Supercharged ZO6