Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:26 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
Default Registry database - feedback please.

I posted the information below in the Grand Sport Collectors Edition thread, but I thought I'd generally post it as well. Many of us on these forums are data geeks and interested in tracking stuff. I've been focused on that for the GSCE, like those cars or not, doesn't really matter. But for the model / car you like, this could be helpful. I'm happy to share the work that I've done with others that may want to use tools like this to track other models, special editions, whatever. And I'd love to get feedback from others that could help me to improve this for the future....so read ahead if you're interested, if not, move along, nothing to see here :-)

I've been working on a new version of the GSCE registry and wanted to get some feedback, so it is time to post it here. I'll try to point out a few things that are different but this all evolved from initially tracking the GSCE's that were out there because I'm a data geek. I soon realized that these cars are going to be around for a while so tracking used transactions would be important too, which then took me to knowing that these cars could have multiple owners and so on. That starts to cry out for a database.

I came across a tool that seems to give me some of the stuff I want but isn't too complex for this aging IT person. Again, wanted to get some feedback which includes things you'd like to see that would be good to track.

I'll try to point out some things that may be helpful in understanding how this works. First, here's the link to this version.

https://airtable.com/shrCcZ9npjDVX4G...3O0f5fH96BxfBv

Now, once you're there....go to the first car in the registry, you can click on that car and hit your space bar, or you can go an hover your mouse next to the check box and you'll see an option to expand the record.

Once you're there, if you scroll through you can see some car config info and for each item there, including scrolling down further for the options on the car, you can see how many other cars have that option.

If you're a GSCE owner, you can of course look up your own car, and then see the various options.

If you go to my car, #43, you'l see I started tracking modifications I've done. My thinking is that people can let me know what they've done to their car and I can track that info as well (not sure I can keep up with that, but it is the thought).

I'm also tracking dealer installed options versus factory ordered. Again, where and when I can get that info.

You can also see previous owners, if I'm able to collect that info, as well as if they are a CF member.

Now take a look at car 307, that's a car that has been listed for sale used multiple times. Scroll through its details and you'll see the multiple listings and the prices that it has been listed for throughout that history.

I still have some bugs I'm working through, in fact there is a tab that has some of the things I'm working on so you can see if I've logged the issue or not. If you're seeing things that need fixing or are not showing right, let me know. If there are things that would be cool to know or show, let me know.

This is not done, but it seems to have more functionality than the current Google Sheet I'm using. Right now I'm maintaining both, but at some point I do want to cut over. Until then I thought I'd get some feedback so that as I work through those things I can also try to incorporate any suggestions.

Let me know.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
Let me know.
Hmm...something amiss
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2018, 11:41 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

This working?
https://airtable.com/shrCcZ9npjDVX4G...3O0f5fH96BxfBv
Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
Yes it is...
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2018, 11:17 AM
MarkP
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

Cool. The Corvette Action Center built similar Registries on their site. Their built one for C6 ZR1s:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...e-zr1-registry

And looks like they're in the process of building one for C7 ZR1s:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...e-zr1-registry

Get notified of new replies

To Registry database - feedback please.

Quick Reply: Registry database - feedback please.