Sponsored by:

Navigation help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:07 PM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Navigation help

Just got a 2019 stingray without factory navigation. Used my I-Phone and google maps but was not happy with the routing and low volume. Would appreciate knowing what you guys are using and level of satisfaction.
PS I would hate to clutter my dashboard with a Garmin.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:12 PM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

Try waze and you can use bluetooth so the volume comes out of your car speakers .
Old 03-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 870 Likes on 398 Posts

I have a Samsung Galaxy Eclipse with Android Auto App. Tried Google Maps but it had very low volume and strange routing in my Stingray also. Basically useless. Android Auto gives an awesome display with options on the infotainment screen and clear loud sound through the car's speakers. It's 10X better than the factory nav I had in my C6. Also like it much better than the Garmin Nuvi I had been using for years.

Last edited by Scruff Vette; 03-04-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

My car was built with an I05 non navigation option, and after screwing around with MyCar, Onstar, Apple Maps, Waze and Google maps on my iPhone, got fed up with the monkey motion required to get what I wanted, so I swapped the installed I05 HMI for an I06 unit from infotainment.com:
https://www.infotainment.com/collect...-radio-upgrade
Installation took about an hour, and it will likely require a nav database update to be current. Also, be sure to reconnect the visor garage door opener when reinstalling the visor.
The system works well except for one glitch that I have been unable to track down, which is that the system does not display the speed limit signs on the HUD or map, and no one up to GM seems to know why... irritating but not a deal breaker.
After installation, I prefer the onboard navigation, but the supporting software (especially the voice command Nazzi) is brain dead when compared to my '11 Mustang GT Sync system or even Siri on my iPhone... Voice input of a destination address is pretty much a crap shoot, with about a 30% chance of having to enter the address manually because SWMBO is unable to grasp the address you want.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 03-04-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
My car was built with an I05 non navigation option, and after screwing around with MyCar, Onstar, Apple Maps, Waze and Google maps on my iPhone, got fed up with the monkey motion required to get what I wanted
I'm curious, couldn't you use CarPlay with the I05 module?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

PS I would hate to clutter my dashboard with a Garmin.[/QUOTE]

I have a Garmin hooked up behind the info screen. Works perfectly.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:30 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by defaria
I'm curious, couldn't you use CarPlay with the I05 module?
I set up and used CarPlay, but IMO Apple Maps sucks and Waze, while great, chews up too much data for continuous... I prefer not to have to set up the iPhone/Car Play every time I get in the car, and while it might have been worth the effort if Google Maps AND Waze were available on the main screen, I decided Apple Maps wasn't worth it.. I installed a Scosche mount for the iPhone or iPad mini for using Waze for the infrequent times I want to use

it...
Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM
defaria
Safety Car

I set up and used CarPlay, but IMO Apple Maps sucks and Waze, while great, chews up too much data for continuous... I prefer not to have to set up the iPhone/Car Play every time I get in the car, and while it might have been worth the effort if Google Maps AND Waze were available on the main screen, I decided Apple Maps wasn't worth it.. I installed a Scosche mount for the iPhone or iPad mini for using Waze for the infrequent times I want to use it...
I understand. Sounds like a great reason to dump that iPhone for an Android phone. Google Maps under AA is fabulous!
Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

I understand. Sounds like a great reason to dump that iPhone for an Android phone. Google Maps under AA is fabulous!
LOL... I have two desktop and three laptop PCs along with an iPhone, two iPads and a Mac laptop... another hardware type is not on my to do list
Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 PM
bsedwebt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I swapped out the I05 module for the I06 and could not be happier! Easy to do - less than an hour with no special tools. Got it off Ebay with programming to the VIN for less than $600
Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 PM
defaria
Safety Car

LOL... I have two desktop and three laptop PCs along with an iPhone, two iPads and a Mac laptop... another hardware type is not on my to do list
Then suffer with the inferior ecosystem that is known as the Apple ecosystem. Siri sucks. Apple Maps suck. And most Apple devotees I come in contact with do not know what a computer is, a file system is nor how to work their devices should they ever stray from the "Apple Way"... Good luck finding assistance. Me? I'm a computer professional of some 40 years now and given my professional opinion I'll stick with Linux and Google. Good luck solving your problems...

Last edited by defaria; 03-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:27 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Then suffer with the inferior ecosystem that is known as the Apple ecosystem. Siri sucks. Apple Maps suck. And most Apple devotees I come in contact with do not know what a computer is, a file system is nor how to work their devices should they ever stray from the "Apple Way"... Good luck finding assistance. Me? I'm a computer professional of some 40 years now and given my professional opinion I'll stick with Linux and Google. Good luck solving your problems...
Do not need assistance.. have a system that works adequately and have worked around any problems...
My post was intended to provide the OP with my experience in a similar situation that might help him sort out his navigation question...
Old 03-06-2018, 06:19 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Great. Settle for less then.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Hate to say it, but I use the factory nav. That's why I got it... Yes, I can cable in my Android phone and use AA, but why?

But Op, it really isn't that hard to install the correct module. Or just use carplay and deal with it. If you're always making sales calls, and to map everything, you probably bought the wrong car.... Just saying.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Hate to say it, but I use the factory nav. That's why I got it... Yes, I can cable in my Android phone and use AA, but why?
Because it's 1000 times better than the factory nav, that's why! I have both. The factory nav is OK in a pinch if my phone should die while I'm away from home but otherwise I never use the factory nav and I always use AA.

AA will soon support wifi connection. What I'm not sure of is if my 2016 vette will work with it, but honestly, connecting my cell phone with a wire is what? one or two seconds of work? I have a ProClip. The phone goes there and when plugged in it charges. I don't understand people who say "I would use AA (or CP) but I don't want to have to plug in my phone all the time". About the only thing I miss when my phone is connected is the ability to pick it up and say take a pic or video.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by silberma
Just got a 2019 stingray without factory navigation. Used my I-Phone and google maps but was not happy with the routing and low volume. Would appreciate knowing what you guys are using and level of satisfaction.
PS I would hate to clutter my dashboard with a Garmin.
For my 2LT without NAV started by making a platform to install my 5 year old Garmin in the cubby! Just slide down the screen and there it is! Lifetime free updates! Powered by the proper short cord to the USB in the Cubby.

Then used Apply CarPlay and love that it displays on the screen! However it requires a cell tower to be available. In our rural area not always possible so have both!

Apple CarPlay when available and my hidden Garmin when not!

When cell tower available Apple CarPlay with iPhone connected is best. If not lower the screen and access my Garmin!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-06-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:39 PM
silberma
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I connect my I-phone to the car Apple Play pops up and displays google map even though my phone has Waze running on it.
How do I get the Waze screen to show up on the car screen?

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation help

Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 PM
Z51Tim
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default if you don't hae a data plan,,,,

try "here" it works pretty good,,most app's like" Wazes" needs a wifi connection to build your route then it runs without wifi,,,"here" works differently,,you download the maps you think you need with wifi ,,then you can go offline and build your routes anytime without wifi,,it uses bluetooth so it comes over the radio,,,i have it on my Iphone with a vent mount that cost about $5 on Ebay,,,
its not perfect,,but its free and its the best i have found.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

In tests, Apple Maps has the highest accuracy after significant improvements. I use WAZE though as it has proven the best to me. I also have a pre-electronic GPS I often use. Called a Rand McNally Road Map. I use a magnetic mount for my phone in the usual (and only) place it can be attached. Never have developed a true trust in GPS things.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vbdenny
In tests, Apple Maps has the highest accuracy after significant improvements.
I'd love to examine your data showing that Apple Maps has the highest accuracy. Then again you need to define what the "highest accuracy" really means. What I see are
and

I use WAZE though as it has proven the best to me.
Again, define "best". I can cite a few things that Google Maps does better than Waze.

Quick Reply: Navigation help