Sponsored by:

I'm an idiot....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:13 AM
BronxBomber
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm an idiot....

On 11/28/17, I placed an order for a Billy Boat PRT Exhaust with an unnamed, no longer supported vendor here on CF. Months went by with BS excuses, promises, etc so in late February, I call Billy Boat and ask if they even have an order for me. They reply, no, we've never seen an order come in for you.

*Meanwhile in January, I purchase a Magnaflow Comp exhaust from a forum member, but didn't do enough research on it, took it to an exhaust shop and they said that they weren't able to install it onto an NPP exhaust - long story, another thread here on CF*

Fast forward through multiple emails with the vendor (more BS) and super helpful support from BB (Mike Boat and Chelsey). They tell me that they're going to create the order for the PRT exhaust with black tips, that it'll be done within a few days and they'll ship as soon as they receive payment from the vendor. Weeks go by, the exhaust was on hand, waiting to be shipped out - no payment.

I eventually get to the point where I'm like, F this, I'm filing a dispute with my CC company and I'll just purchase directly through BB. I ask Mike Boat, hey, I used to have the Bullets on my C6, am I going to be happy with the PRT, or should I stick with the Bullets? He says for sure go with the Bullets - the sound is different with the C7 engine. They update my order, I pay and they ship out.

Picked the exhaust up today from UPS (had to unbox because the box was huge and very well protected) and call around to some exhaust shops that can install today. One says, yes definitely, come on by. I drop by, there's one car ahead of me, so when it's my turn, I ask if I can watch since I was curious how everything worked. He says, absolutely, jacks the car up and the phone rings, so he runs to answer.

I'm underneath the car and I see this:

My heart drops, but then I'm immediately upset with myself because of a) how long I've been waiting to swap out the exhaust and the BS that I dealt with up until this point and b) not doing my research and digging around. The mechanic laughs and is like, dude, I'm not going to charge you for any of this and while I have the car up, I'll straighten the tips out for you.... Super nice guy.

When I purchased the car, on the sticker, it mentioned "Performance Exhaust", so I assumed it was the NPP exhaust since I asked what exhaust was on the car and they weren't sure (non GM dealer) and there wasn't any branding on the tips. I messed with the performance modes, but never (obviously) heard any sound difference, so I just figured that there really wasn't much of a difference between the four modes. Doesn't explain the phantom sound difference I thought I heard by pulling the NPP fuse. Clearly made no difference since the NPP was stripped when the Bullets were installed. Hell, now I don't even know if my car has NPP. I think Z51's 2015 forward came standard with it.

So I've waited on pins and needles, for this amazing sound (placed initial exhaust order on 11/28/17) that I couldn't wait to hear, that I've had from day one...purchased car in November 2017. I'm glad I checked because it would have been pretty awkward loading old Bullets into the trunk and wondering what the hell the mechanic installed. Then I'd have to sell a used set of Bullets because I installed an identical set. Also explains why there was a BlockIt mat that I didn't notice until I bought a duplicate and tried to install as well, only to realize the mat that was in the trunk wasn't stock (assumed big difference between C6 and C7 again)

My only concern is that the photo shows "C7 Buller" instead of "Bullet", so emailing Mike to see if they had a batch go out with the misspelling. Very unlikely that someone bootlegged a B&B Exhaust, but after this episode, I will leave no stone unturned.

In short, don't be like me

So now that I was looking for a louder sound from day 1, I'm going to have to figure out a way to get an X-Pipe (probably Borla) shipped to Cali and a shop that is willing to do the install. I know it won't make much of a volume difference, but headers are out of the question (warranty and Cali) and I feel like I need to win somewhere here! I'll go on to say, I'm definitely not mad with the sound of the C7 Bullets, but I was chasing (and expecting) the C6 sound, but the design difference (and Mike Boat telling me) should have answered all of those questions - I was just stubborn and dumb.

C6 Bullets (pretty much a straight pipe)

C7 Bullets

Popular Reply

03-06-2018, 07:02 AM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

As I always tell my wife when we have things go awry ... as long as it doesn't kill us, it'll make for a really funny story about five years from now.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

What the actual fu...
Old 03-06-2018, 05:33 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 03-06-2018, 06:26 AM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

That sounds like a giant headache, I’m sorry that happened to you but on a lighter note ... Thats super funny.

I am looking at B&B for my future exhaust with the X-Pipe as well but won’t pull the trigger till about 1500 miles. Looking forward to how you feel when you get the X-Pipe, or when you realize you already have the X-Pipe as well
The following 2 users liked this post by TOPSPOT:
Black Rose-MD (03-06-2018), BronxBomber (03-09-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Hmm, that's like one of my "shaggy dog stories," too bad it's not a happy ending! Thanks for sharing.

Sure hope you didn't wait too long to put a stop payment with the CC company and the original vendor didn't go bankrupt after having received payment.

Also hope Billy Boat will take the new system back and you saved all the packing and boxing material!

May have to install a muffler delete system as removing the secondary CATs when you install the X-pipe (which is all the kit does as Vettes have had X-pipes for some time) doesn't get an "eagle eyed CA inspector" to spot the removal and flunk you. With your luck, best keep the OEM system just in case!

Would think muffler removal, since it will not affect emissions, may be allowed in CA. That will have more effect on sound than removal of the secondary CATs.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-06-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:02 AM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

As I always tell my wife when we have things go awry ... as long as it doesn't kill us, it'll make for a really funny story about five years from now.
The following 7 users liked this post by George Washnak:
Avanti (03-06-2018), Drabon74 (03-06-2018), JerryU (03-06-2018), joemessman (03-06-2018), Landru (03-14-2018), Rebel Yell (03-07-2018), ron landgraf (03-13-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I love these type of "oops" moments, It happens to all of us... you hardly ever hear of it because people think "it's embarrassing"
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-14-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

could have been worse...
Old 03-06-2018, 08:10 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Well will say you did an excellent job of telling your story, hopefully there will be a happy ending to it all.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

So you've never been under the car before? Not even for a look see?

Man, that's the first thing I did after taking delivery. Up on the lift and go OHHH, AHHHHH! gush, gush... lol

And then I cleaned it. My GOD!, I'd driven it 65 miles and it had dust on it... Ok, I got over that really quick.... ;-)
The following users liked this post:
obwahn (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:27 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Thanks for sharing your headache. On the upside, you now have a new BB system you can sell, or throw in the trash, and you'll be exactly where you wanted to be from the start.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:28 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Crazy story... I bet that you would like to have those three months back. The X-pipe will increase volume if you decide to go that route.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Sad story...
That's why I "keep er stock"
hope you enjoy all the noise when your all done.

love my quiet NPP system.

good luck
Old 03-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Jeez, I recently installed a Corsa X and Magnaflow Competition cat back on my '14 Z51 and it is loud as $h!t! Can't imagine you wanting it louder than what it must be now with the Bullets.

Good story, though . . .
Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 AM
dulm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you returning the exhaust now, or looking to sell the new one?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by George Washnak
That is what my friend always asks after a story like this... "well, nobody died did they?"
Old 03-06-2018, 11:11 AM
BronxBomber
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patches
Jeez, I recently installed a Corsa X and Magnaflow Competition cat back on my '14 Z51 and it is loud as $h!t! Can't imagine you wanting it louder than what it must be now with the Bullets.

Good story, though . . .
Surprisingly it isn't really that loud. I can still easily have a conversation via Bluetooth, with a passenger, etc AND my gf doesn't complain about it! Part of me thinks something else is up! Lol. Maybe I'm just so used to the C6 Bullets' volume... THAT was loud to where passengers would be like dude, wtf. But I've never had anyone complain about the volume - neighbors, etc. My neighbor whose bedroom window is about 10 feet from my parking spot says that he can always hear me start up, but can never hear when I come back home at any hour of the night.

Maybe the Magnaflow is significantly louder...? Have one of those now sitting in the second bedroom as well! 🤣

Last edited by BronxBomber; 03-06-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm an idiot....

Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM
BronxBomber
Advanced

Originally Posted by dulm
Are you returning the exhaust now, or looking to sell the new one?
Selling the new one. Tossed the box because it wouldn't fit in the car. 😐 I just KNEW there'd be no returning it because it was the sound i had been seeking for months! Lol
Old 03-06-2018, 11:51 AM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Wow... What a story! You will laugh at this one later.

The Borla x-pipe will make a pretty big difference. Your cats are now muffling more than anything else, and removing 2 of them will make it louder (did on my car).

Should be able to recoup a bit on the new ones. Time for a sound clip!!!

Last edited by devnull; 03-06-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spel is naught teh strong
Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Time to put the new system up for sale and recoup your costs.

Or see if B&B will work with you on a return.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 03-06-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot....