C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and tire insurance protection from NSD (Nation Safe Drivers) - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:58 AM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
Default Wheel and tire insurance protection from NSD (Nation Safe Drivers) - worth it?

The price for the Nation Safe Drivers Ultimate Titanium Plus insurance is $1,500 for 7 years.

Is this worth the price? Any other programs offer better coverage for a better price?

Anyone hear of this company or have experiences with them?

What caveats to this type of insurance should I be concerned about?

I don't plan on keeping the car that long, but live in the midwest where roads can get sketchy - so I am on the fence. It can be cancelled and I will be refunded the difference.

Looks like it covers road rash.

Includes:
Tire Protection and Wheel and Rim Protection:
Covered Road Hazard:
Potholes, rocks, wood debris, metal parts, plastic or composite scraps or any item in the roadway that is not supposed to be there.

Coverage Includes:
Repair or replacement coverage for tire and rims (including mounting, balancing, and taxes).

Emergency road assistance benefit.
* For most programs, see contract for details.

More Benefits:
Flat Tire Coverage:
You will be reimbursed for the full amount of charges incurred for the repair of flat tires caused by road hazard.

Tire Replacement:
Reimbursement is provided should the tire become nonrepairable due to impact leads, snags, cuts, puncture, or other road hazards.

Wheel/Rim Protection:
Reimbursement is provided for expenses arising out of the repair or replacement of wheels rendered unserviceable due to failure of the wheel covered under your contract.

Mounting/Balance and Taxes:
Reimbursement is provided for any tire covered by your agreement. We will absorb the cost of all local and state taxes, where applicable, as required as part of a covered repair.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,223 Likes on 3,462 Posts

No extra-cost extended warranty is worth the price. All the research is consistent on this. It's just another form of roulette, where you are betting you'll experience an acknowledged rare event and need the coverage, whereas the companies numbers show that you are far more likely not to need it.

I was offered what sound like the same thing and since I can afford to replace such IF damaged, and probably at far below new OEM dealer pricing I gave a resounding "no."

But, obviously, it boils down to your personal expectations and comfort level. All the best.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I bought a 60 month tire wheel warranty for my 17 GS last June. I got the GM TW Cosmetic warranty . I just went with peace of mind saw the cost of tires or wheels if one got damaged. Cost was 1280.00 I don't remember if that was GM Employee pricing or not. I think it was. I purchased a extended warranty for my 04 and worked out well cost 1600.00 for 7 yrs and it paid for 2100.00 fuel crossover repair and fuse box replacement 500.00 and got 600.00 back when I bought 17 GS for balance on policy. So for me the warranty came in handy for me in the past. It's like insurance you have it and hope you don't need to use it.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 03-11-2018 at 04:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

GM publishes a bulletin which specifically states that no straightening/welding/machining of aluminum wheels is permitted. So the GM wheel insurance is pretty expensive.

Every aftermarket wheel coverage I've looked at states or implies that they may repair your damaged wheel (no-no) or replace with a "reconditioned" (repaired) or similar (aftermarket) wheel. I'd skip those.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought some for my '14 Benz SL-550 at delivery from dealer $ 1,200 4 yr. Covered EVERYTHING (don't remember the INS. Co name).
1 Wheel and 1 tire= Pothole; at 60MPH, $ 1,800. paid 100%, and got a MB wheel and tire, and I never had to worry about wheel rash, ever.
I wish I was offered same for my '17 GSCE but had a deal that went on for 3 days and forgot to add it in, and never was asked by sales.
7 Yrs sounds great, just make sure it's with OEM wheels and rubber.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:12 PM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It sounds as if some on here are insurance poor.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

I bought a 3yr wheel & tire policy from Mike F. @ Criswell when I bought the GS. I won't post the price respecting their sales opportunity but I will say it was with a reputable firm & in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars. I seldom keep any car over 3 yrs and if I did, it would need new tires in any case so would buy the tire protection from Tire Rack or Discount Tire. FWIW.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Avanti
No extra-cost extended warranty is worth the price. All the research is consistent on this. It's just another form of roulette, where you are betting you'll experience an acknowledged rare event and need the coverage, whereas the companies numbers show that you are far more likely not to need it.
This. A few come out ahead with such insurance, most lose money.

I figure if I can’t afford to replace a tire or wheel I shouldn’t buy an expensive car like a Vette. YMMV.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:29 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Contact Fitchner, sells GM extended warranties on this forum. They have a GM wheel warranty. You don't say if you have a GS or Z06, but if you search this forum for bent wheels you will see quite a few posts from GS owners at least. Small price to pay if you ask me. Many don't find out they have issues until they get their first set of tires.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Wouldn't comp insurance coverage cover any damage to the wheels and tires other than road rash?

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel and tire insurance protection from NSD (Nation Safe Drivers) - worth it?

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire insurance protection from NSD (Nation Safe Drivers) - worth it?