Sponsored by:

Come on GM--get built cars to the dealers on the West Coast

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:21 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Come on GM--get built cars to the dealers on the West Coast

My car was built on 2-26 and has been sitting on a rail-car since 3-7 someplace in Kansas according to the rail car number I got on the order. And the worse part is that the status has no delivery date available ....... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Dealer calls every day for a status and it never changes.

Just venting......

However, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

SEE LATEST POST FOR UPDATE ......

Last edited by tome; 03-20-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Its part of the customer service thing...or lack of. To bad when you order a car there is no penalty if the car is not delivered by a certain date. Never gonna happen. Hang in there And good luck.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Have the dealer activate the Onstar and you can see where your car is
Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 PM
dyoung
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 236 Posts

Same thing happened to me last year. Car built Feb.28, went to the Toledo rail yard and didn't have any status updates till it arrived in Vancouver. Picked it up at the dealer on March 23rd. So maybe it will just show up and surprise you.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Hang in there.. it'll be worth the wait
Old 03-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I'd recommend trying to practice patience, instead of your expressed anger. Counseling may help. Your car's not out of bounds on the time from build to West Coast rail delivery.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

Default Activate OnStar

I like the activate onstar idea.

At least you know where it is at all times!

This is why dealer’s like Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland ship so many cars...... from factory special order to inventory on the ground...... via enclosed carrier like Plycar, directly to the customers front door in a matter of a few days.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 PM
Bassassin
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

You won’t be able to connect when it’s in a rail car, but it sure is nice when it gets out.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
My car was built on 2-26 and has been sitting on a rail-car since 3-7 someplace in Kansas according to the rail car number I got on the order. And the worse part is that the status has no delivery date available ....... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Dealer calls every day for a status and it never changes.

Just venting......

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rail-dust.html
Old 03-16-2018, 01:32 AM
robbrock11
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just venting......

Unfortunately there is a shortage of rail cars and trucks to deliver inventory to dealers.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:57 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 225 Likes on 119 Posts

All new Corvettes are completely wrapped for protection against things like railcar fallout while in transit.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

You know what they say about watching a pot waiting for water to boil...
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 AM
sheepster08
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similar boat. Mine was built on 2/19. It made it to the west coast on Saturday (tracked via OnStar), but has been sitting in Milpitas all week. Just patiently waiting for it to get delivered to the dealer.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Just venting......

The same sorta thing happened with my truck. Good news, it teleported instantaneously from a stalled out holding spot to the dealer almost overnight.

In other words, it can arrive at any point. You cannot count on a delay no matter the delivery location status.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I've been waiting almost a month for a dealer transfer of an Escalade from Texas to Washington state. Something is seriously wrong with railway auto transport at the moment, or GM's use of it... one or the other!
Old 03-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

Just venting......

To give you some real time perspective to get from Bowling Green to San Francisco:
  • February 19: Target Production Week
  • February 19: Vehicle was produced at 3:14 pm CDT
  • February 20: OnStar activated & vehicle transported to GM Fairfax Assembly Plant in Kansas City, KS
  • March 6: Vehicle loaded into a train
  • March 7: Train arrives at North Platte, NE (largest rail yard in the world)
  • March 8: Train leaves North Platte, NE (OnStar can no longer track it)
  • March 14: Train arrives in Milpitas, CA and the vehicle is removed from the train. OnStar is able to track again.
  • March 16: Vehicle sitting in the same spot at the vehicle transportation center awaiting to be loaded on the truck. The courtesy dealer is 30.4 miles away.

The courtesy dealer says it take them less than 24 hours to receive, prep, detail, and add fuel. Then it will be available for pick up.

Last edited by Carlos Thomas; 03-16-2018 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
06nine (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:08 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Just venting......

we all who had our cars shipped out west have gone threw the same thing. We all have complained about the fact that we get the short end of the stick when it comes to getting our cars. This is the price we pay for wanting a corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Come on GM--get built cars to the dealers on the West Coast

Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by geewez
All new Corvettes are completely wrapped for protection against things like railcar fallout while in transit.
Nah.....the dust gets in there despite the flimsy covers. Well documented.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:19 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Just venting......

Been there done that man. Hang in there. Due to the factory shutting down I waited 6 months. But the hard part as you know is knowing the car is built and watching it via OnStar just sit in the Kansas City railyard. Then it will get shipped to a railyard in Fontana/Ontario and sit there for who knows how long. Yeah, I get your frustration. My car was only an hour way and it sat there for over a week. I couldn't even go look at it. But let me tell you like all others have said, it's worth it. This is a beautiful car and it makes me smile every smile every day.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Its part of the customer service thing...or lack of. To bad when you order a car there is no penalty if the car is not delivered by a certain date. Never gonna happen. Hang in there And good luck.
Once GM (or any other automaker, or Amazon, or anyone else) turns something over to a shipper it's out of their hands. It's not GM's fault, or lack of customer service, for shipping times.

Quick Reply: Come on GM--get built cars to the dealers on the West Coast