Museum Delivery or National Corvette Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Gadsden
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18
Default Museum Delivery or National Corvette Caravan

Backstory: I plan to take delivery of my first ever Corvette (GS vert) sometime in late September, early October. I will be PCSing at that time, stopping through Oregon visiting family before heading to my follow-on station. Since this will be my first ever brand new vehicle (I have always bought used), I would like for it to be special. I would also like to visit the NCM sometime in the next year.

For those of you that have done both:
If you could recommend only doing one, Would you rather do the R8C option or Take delivery locally (Oregon for me) and then participate in the 6th National Corvette Caravan in AUG19?

I understand there will be many that say do both, but for me, the time off is the issue (wouldn't be able to take ~2weeks off twice within the calendar year with other planned vacation).
From what I can tell from other posts:
-R8C Pro: More personal experience with delivery and museum. Con: With no wife/gf or kids, no one to share it with. Also, No factory tour.
-NCC Pro: Meet tons of great people, experience the museum together, Factory tour back up and running. Con: Not really a fan of crowds when looking at exhibits.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsden
Backstory: I plan to take delivery of my first ever Corvette (GS vert) sometime in late September, early October. I will be PCSing at that time, stopping through Oregon visiting family before heading to my follow-on station. Since this will be my first ever brand new vehicle (I have always bought used), I would like for it to be special. I would also like to visit the NCM sometime in the next year.

For those of you that have done both:
If you could recommend only doing one, Would you rather do the R8C option or Take delivery locally (Oregon for me) and then participate in the 6th National Corvette Caravan in AUG19?

I understand there will be many that say do both, but for me, the time off is the issue (wouldn't be able to take ~2weeks off twice within the calendar year with other planned vacation).
From what I can tell from other posts:
-R8C Pro: More personal experience with delivery and museum. Con: With no wife/gf or kids, no one to share it with. Also, No factory tour.
-NCC Pro: Meet tons of great people, experience the museum together, Factory tour back up and running. Con: Not really a fan of crowds when looking at exhibits.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Museum delivery for sure. The PDI on your new car at the Museum can't be beat! The experience and tour of the plant will be remembered forever.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Museum delivery for sure. The PDI on your new car at the Museum can't be beat! The experience and tour of the plant will be remembered forever.
My son and I did the museum and assembly line tour. Checking out the cars being delivered was really impressive. Even going by yourself, the museum delivery would be hard to beat! As mentioned above, you will never forget it. Have fun and thanks for your service.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I'd do local delivery, all things considered. That's what I did. A LOT less hassle, and less money for me.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-16-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:54 PM
RossDowningChevrolet
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Disclaimer: Being an NCM Ambassador, I may be biased but....

Without hesitation I'd opt for the Museum Delivery as it will be a 'memory' that you will have forever. That said, for a few more $$$ I would get the NCM photo album to chronicle the birth of your baby.

Either way you go, you'll have a great time.
Ross Downing Chevrolet
Louisiana's #1 Corvette Dealer since 1992
985-345-1285

"PUTTING DREAMS IN DRIVEWAYS ACROSS AMERICA"

Join our Facebook Corvette community!

New Corvettes For Sale | Used Corvettes For Sale | About Us | Contact Us
speedlink (03-19-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 PM
dyoung
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 236 Posts

The plant is closed for tours until about February 2019. You can also not get the photo album until then because of all the secret stuff going on in the plant. I would do the Oregon delivery and then go on next years caravan.. That way you get to see the museum and tour the plant which is a great experience all by itself.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

You're in Hawaii and want to do R8C? How do you get the car home?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Gadsden
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by dyoung
The plant is closed for tours until about February 2019. You can also not get the photo album until then because of all the secret stuff going on in the plant. I would do the Oregon delivery and then go on next years caravan.. That way you get to see the museum and tour the plant which is a great experience all by itself.
That's what I was thinking. That's why I posed the question, to see if R8C without Plant Tour or Album was still better than the Caravan experience.

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
You're in Hawaii and want to do R8C? How do you get the car home?
I will be PCSing to Georgia around delivery time.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:44 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RossDowningChevrolet
Disclaimer: Being an NCM Ambassador, I may be biased but....

Without hesitation I'd opt for the Museum Delivery as it will be a 'memory' that you will have forever. That said, for a few more $$$ I would get the NCM photo album to chronicle the birth of your baby.

Either way you go, you'll have a great time.
agreed, sadly photo album is not going to be available until the plant opens back up to the public in 2019. In addition to the great delivery prep that the museum does every museum car that goes down the line is marked as such and just maybe they get a little better attention.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

I am a BIG supporter of the Museum Delivery, it is a "Absolute Corvette" experience I have done twice now and recommend it highly.

That being said, If the Private plant tour is out, The photo album or the follow your car through the plant watching it being built tour are also out, I would opt for the National Caravan next year. The personal feeling of having your car sitting in the museum is nice, but it pales to the way the plant employees treat you when they know it is your car they are building.

That gives you a year to make connections, Hopefully even have the car back state side and participate in the caravan itself. Like I said, make connections.... Get in touch with the museum staff directly, use the delivery $ towards a lifetime membership, which in itself gains you VIP privileges.

Start planning now, it could be truly a trip of a lifetime!
Gadsden (03-16-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:15 AM
bucker2
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

In 2014 I did both the R8C for my 2015 C7 in October and also attended the Caravan in late summer. Both were enjoyable but if I had to pick one it would be the R8C delivery. If you don't like crowds you can't avoid them at the Caravan.
speedlink (03-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery or National Corvette Caravan

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery or National Corvette Caravan