Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Starting to sound like the LS7 “worn valve guide” issues that were very prominent in a couple years build of that engine. If your cam is scored valve guides can well be the culprit here. If they’re scratching their heads wondering why mention this to them.

Last edited by Glennm27; 04-02-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:24 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Metal shavings won't get to other bearings since the oil filter will trap them.

Regardless, I'd press for a new engine, or start planning on getting rid of the car before the warranty runs out.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:02 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
the cam gets out of sync and causes an engine stall. It can also be caused by the ecm not being able to determine where the cam position is because it’s not getting the proper pulse from the timing magnets and Volla! mass confusion of the BCM as to what plugs need to fire and boink..a stall.
I agree with this. I've heard of this on other GM vehicles. Good luck, hope they get it fixed soon.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what's left of my 2017 GS powertrain!

I went to the the dealership to check on status. Engine is toast! Thrust bearings worn down to nothing and technician said oil had a grey tint to it. So here's the scoop.

At the tail end of this past summer I noticed a rumble/rattling sound coming from underneath the vehicle at various speeds (the car was at about 3000 miles at this point). I took it in for a service check at my nearest Chevrolet dealership. They troubleshot it down to the driveline support assembly. They made the repairs which entailed realignment and torque of the propeller shaft clamp. The rumble/rattle noise seemed to have been fixed at this point but it was the end of the season when I got the car back and it was time to park it for the winter weather. Fast forward to now when I just began to use it again after the long winter and here's where it stalled. GM Road Side Assistance towed it to the nearest dealership from the where it stalled on me. After going back and forth a few days I walked into the shop and was given a tour and update on my vehicle. The engine is done! They've requested for authorization to replace it with a new engine and are waiting GM's response. They believe it's possible it my be as a result of the previous repair OR possibly a result of the original build. Hard to say at this point. I spoke with the technician assigned to my vehicle and feel I'm in great hands with him.

Here's a link for the previous issue I had with the driveline support assembly. If you look at the picture of the thrust bearing it looks exactly as the one that came off my engine. The suspect is the improper clearance of the propeller shaft clamp which results in pushing significantly against the engine which results in this major breakdown. The technician stated that the thrust bearings were so loaded that they gouged and left an impression against the block.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...dure-1313.html

Last edited by My First Vette; 04-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by My First Vette:
JerryU (04-04-2018), Johnp94 (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:32 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

You're pissed? Look at it this way. They are fixing the car under warranty without an argument. If this had happened to you the day after the warranty expired, THEN I would be pissed.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:03 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Dam Good News you got Support for the New Engine.Good write up on the explanation.Hopefully they figured it out.
Sucks,What a Hassle.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:43 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by mschuyler
You're pissed? Look at it this way. They are fixing the car under warranty without an argument. If this had happened to you the day after the warranty expired, THEN I would be pissed.
I'm not PISSED, but I am pissed (lol). I get the whole "under warranty" mindset, but the fact remains it will never be a numbers matching vehicle again. It is my first corvette and it does change the way I feel about it knowing this. I've owned several vehicles in my time and currently own 3 other 2016-2017 vehicles but they're commuter & practical vehicles. This was to be my TOY and it's already having issues and they are major ones.

Please don't misunderstand me, I've dealt with all kinds of warranty work and recalls on all my vehicles at one point or another and I know that's normal. But not having a numbers matching Corvette is tugging on my heart strings if you know what I mean. I'll deal with it when I get the car back and see how I feel at that point, but in the mean time, please share the important lesson learned with the misaligned driveline support assembly.

Last edited by My First Vette; 04-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:18 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

The red arrow points to the "propeller shaft clamp" that may have caused the engine failure.
The following 2 users liked this post by My First Vette:
JerryU (04-04-2018), Johnp94 (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

I think that clamp fits over the spline adapter on the flex plate, making proper adjustment during installation is critical.

Last edited by WelderGuy; 04-03-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^

Blowing up the OP's pic shows it sitting on the input shaft but looks like a gap so was probably just a place to put it prior to the shaft etc being installed.

Assume when the input shaft is installed and all parts assembled then that clamp is tightened. Would expect it is designed not to rub on anything!

Good pics from you and OP. Good explanation from OP!

For OP's benefit, recall when I sold my '88 Vette the person buying was a Vette collector from the Mid West. Not sure why he was interested but it did have the Doug Nash 4 speed plus overdrive making in a 7 speed! Not many sold. He looked for an engine number and I assured him it was the original. He said, "Makes no difference as if they have an engine problem on testing off the assembly line it quickly gets a replacement engine!"

Frankly with so many C7's and GS's sold it will never be a "collectors car" and doubt anyone will care!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-04-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

OP, sorry so much trouble with your new GS. If I read correctly they are putting in a NEW engine from GM out of the box?

I'd have to agree with JerryU above "Frankly with so many C7's and GS's sold it will never be a "collectors car" and doubt anyone will care!"
Good luck and I hope it all works out for you, the summer season is just around the corner, enjoy your car.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

I'd like to know how much power is lost to windage of that clamp at high rpms.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I would not worry too much on matching numbers. Unless you want grandchildren to have a collector car?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by koranke
What does this mean? How does a cam go bad?
Maybe its something to do with the high pressure fuel pump that the cam now operates. Has to be fuel or ign to just shut down that quickly. Some that lost thrust and were locking up seemed to be doing that also. Guess I should have read more post!

Last edited by Jim Barker; 04-04-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 PM
My First Vette
Cruising

Well, they finally replaced my engine. Old engine (3600 miles) was diagnosed with only 11 psi oil pressure. It was disassembled and they found worn thrust bearings (trashed), 0.045" endplay on crankshaft, thrust bearing main webbing damaged due to possible endplay issue, and finally as stated in the repair invoice "PREVIOUS REPAIRS INDICATE DRIVESHAFT CLAMP BOLT REPLACEMENT AS PER TSB AND POSSIBLE ENDPLAY CHECKS NOT PERFORMED FOLLOWING REPLACEMENT AS DICTATED BY SERVICE INFORMATION - PERFORM CALIBRATION AND VERIFICATIONS."

It took almost 3 weeks but they finally got it all done....ALMOST! They installed a new engine, dry sump oil tank, hoses, pipes and gaskets. Refilled fluids, bled cooling system, evacuated and recharged a/c system. I finally go into the shop yesterday to pick-up the vehicle with mixed emotions and see the vehicle outside the service center. From about 15 feet away I immediately noticed the hood was out of alignment with the front edge sitting about 1/4" above the nose of the car. After a short walk around I went in to talk to the service rep. He explained all the engine items listed above and was ready to send me on my way. After letting him speak, I asked "so I assume I'm to go through the engine break-in process again?" He replied, good question, let me look into that. I went on to state that I do have an issue with the hood alignment and explained. He had a technician drive it back into the shop to make the adjustments and asked me to wait a few minutes. 10 minutes later the technician came to me and said that he couldn't see any more adjustment in the hood and would have to send it out to another body shop for adjustments. So, I left the car with them again yesterday and after calling them today, they assured me that the body shop would have my car done tomorrow morning.

Seems like the first Chevy service center was likely at fault for all this damage. It's not been a good experience but I'm keeping my composure. Things happen...hoping to get it back tomorrow for the weekend.

Last edited by My First Vette; 04-12-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:31 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

This is a sad story. I've been saving for years, hoping I can buy another Corvette someday. I know deep down it's a bad idea. Stories like this scare me.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 PM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

Hood alignment is easy. When I changed my hood to a ZO6 hood. It was sitting higher than the front bumper cover. Loosen the bolts and tilt the top of the hood forward and that will bring the front of the hood down. It seems perplexing knowing a vehicle with only 3000 miles has had an engine change and you didn’t dog it. When you get to drive it again you will be very happy. Great luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by Johnp94; 04-12-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport turns off while driving