Sponsored by:

Picked up my Vette - SO 2019 2LT Stingray Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:45 AM
CptCvMan
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Picked up my Vette - SO 2019 2LT Stingray Coupe

Got my dream ride yesterday afternoon. First Vette. No good pics yet and raining today. Will post soon as we get some sunshine and time.

SO 2019 2LT Stingray Coupe with A8, Carbon Flash painted Spoiler and Carbon Flash emblems. (Also the personalized plaque, but that is a me thing so not really relevant to the car).

I had the courtesy dealer (shout out to Harvard GM in Harvard, IL) not unwrap it as I wanted it to be part of my experience. They only unwrapped enough to install the spoiler. Also found out they have 4 Vette techs on hand so will use them for servicing.

Couple questions:
They offered 5 year tire and wheel coverage for $795.00 and was wondering if this was a good deal and to take it.

They also offered auto Armor Ultimate with a 7 year coverage guarantee for $1295.00. Being as I was in a hurry to get on the road with my first Vette, I did not ask to many details on either. Anyone have experience with the dealer coating. They said it was like ceramic coating and the price is similar to what I see for ceramic coating.

I also asked about extended warranty. They have an 84 month, 56K mile warranty for $2K. Said it would start now. To me it does not seem a good value as it really would not take affect until either the 3 year 36K is up, which will be 3 years as I do not driver over 10K per year so I would really only be getting 4 years of coverage for the price. Recall seeing other warranties purchased for less near the end of the B2B coverages. Guess after writing this, I am really looking for validation in not accepting this warranty.

Anywho, got errands to run and then the rain should be over and I can be on the road again in my brand new Vette.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:03 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

:cheersCongratulations on your new Vette enjoy it. I would pass on the wheel coverage, I would pass on the coating and I would pass on the extended warranty.
Some will say one ruined wheel/tire will pay for itself. I have not ruined or had a failure in the last 10 years of Vette ownership. Coating you can do yourself or just claybar, polish and wax it. Warranty not needed as you noted.
The following users liked this post:
CptCvMan (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:07 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Congratulations on your Vette.

Tire and wheel insurance is a waste of money in my opinion. Purchasing that for $795 and you are guaranteed to be out that money. $795 is enough to buy a new tire and wheel. I never purchase insurance coverage on item such as that. If something happens I will pay for it. If something doesn't happen I am not spending the insurance premium amount. In this case $795.

I would not purchase the coating protection either. If you are interested in that kind of protection. Take it to a professional detailer and not a dealer. I am confident the professional detailer would provide a better product and do a better job applying the product.

I don't buy the additional/supplemental warranty coverage. Again, purchase it and you are guaranteed to be out $2K. If I had purchase that on my five Vettes, I would have possibly only needed it one time in 21 years and 300,000 miles.

Good luck in your decision and enjoy your new Vette.
CptCvMan (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:37 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,118 Likes on 755 Posts

Congrats on your new vet. The dealer makes a lot of $$$$ on those extras. I wouldn't purchase anyone of them. The extended warranty they offer, including your 3/36 warranty, is really a 4 yr or 20K mile warranty. If you want an extended warranty, get it just before your 3/36 runs out. No need to get a double warranty at the time you purchase your car. Who knows, you might sell or trade your car before the 3/36 runs out.
CptCvMan (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:02 AM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Congratulations on owning your very first Corvette! I'm looking forward to your pics when the weather dries out. My thoughts: The Wheel and Tire warrantee is priced normally. Only you can decide if it's worth it. If you think you'll expose your wheels and tires to damage from nails, etc. then it's probably worth it. I don't have it and haven't had any issues in the one year that I've owned my C7, but one car club member has had issues and his tire coverage paid for a new tire. The ceramic coating cost is also on par with what I'm seeing here in SC. Three members have had their Corvettes done for $1,250 (entire car and wheels too) and they think it's worth it. Much depends on how long you tend to keep your cars. I will say they look great and shed dust to the point where they only wash them once a month or less. That's a lot of $$$ so I have not taken the plunge yet.

Good luck with your new Corvette and enjoy the heck out of it!
CptCvMan (03-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Picked up my Vette - SO 2019 2LT Stingray Coupe

Quick Reply: Picked up my Vette - SO 2019 2LT Stingray Coupe