C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Now that Dennis can’t sell to CA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:51 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
When you own your house real estate prices is not an issue. I want the prices to climb!! But I can live with the issues. And Jerry Brown will be gone some day. Absolute awesome place to own a Vette. We drive Jan-Dec.
I agree. I own my house too, in the Los Angeles area, so real estate prices are not a problem. Except for our kids. I really don't care if my house goes up in value because I have to have a place to live so selling it is not in the cards, for now. Yes, you brought up an issue we both share, the very liberal government we have in California. It won't go away with Brown I am afraid. If you look at the governor candidates. Yes, we have a state with one season essentially, an endless summer.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:53 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Hi All,
Here's an example Warranty listing 72 months.

Pretty amazing to have bumper to bumper coverage until 2024!
My car has been reliable. But just 1 large repair over the next 6 years could easily cover the cost.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Texas1

Is that correct? “Additional“? I read that as 6 years total or 48k. Or another 3 years and/or 12k more miles than factory. So 2021 at most for a 2015. Maybe I misunderstand the extended warranties.
Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
It's actually a bit confusing to a lot of people.

The coverage starts from the date you buy the warranty.
So if you buy a 6 year warranty when you buy the car new- it really only adds 3 years additional bumper to bumper coverage (3 years standard + 3 year extended). That's why warranties are so "cheap" on new cars. They aren't adding that much more coverage.

It's a good practice to wait until the original factory 3 year warranty is about to expire (e.g. month 34) to purchase the extended warranty. A 6 year warranty adds a full 6 years.

You have to be careful when purchasing an extended warranty because there are multiple options in terms of coverage and terms. I get a lot of customers comparing apples to hand grenades because other dealers will quote them differently.

The GMEPP (and most others) will allow for "wrap coverage" and non-wrapped coverage. The wrap will piggy back the factory warranties and starts at the in service date. A lot of dealers will quote a 60/60 plan, but it's a wrap and starts when the car is originally in service. If your car is 2 years old and has 20k on it when you purchase the warranty, you're really only getting a 36/40 plan. Obviously the pricing will be different, but you're getting a lot less coverage.

Another one I see is dealers quoting "zero deductible" but actually selling a "disappearing deductible" plan. That means you will not have a deductible IF you return to the selling dealer, but there will be a $100 deductible at any other dealer. Works great if you're purchasing local, but not so much if purchasing in another city or state.

I always quote non-wrap policies that start 30 days after you purchase the warranty and cover you for the full term of the policy. Example: If you buy a 60/60 plan today and your car is 2 old with 20k miles, you will be covered until 2023 or 80k miles.

Feel free to reach out to me for quotes via email. I need your VIN and current mileage to accurately quote a policy. It also helps to know how much you plan to drive per year and approx how long you want coverage. I typically give you several options to compare.

I try to return all emails within 24 hours during the week or the following business day if you send an inquiry over the weekend.

RICH

Service and Parts Director
Abel Chevrolet Buick
Rio Vista, CA
Old 04-20-2018, 06:07 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
You have to be careful when purchasing an extended warranty because there are multiple options in terms of coverage and terms. I get a lot of customers comparing apples to hand grenades because other dealers will quote them differently.

The GMEPP (and most others) will allow for "wrap coverage" and non-wrapped coverage. The wrap will piggy back the factory warranties and starts at the in service date. A lot of dealers will quote a 60/60 plan, but it's a wrap and starts when the car is originally in service. If your car is 2 years old and has 20k on it when you purchase the warranty, you're really only getting a 36/40 plan. Obviously the pricing will be different, but you're getting a lot less coverage.

Another one I see is dealers quoting "zero deductible" but actually selling a "disappearing deductible" plan. That means you will not have a deductible IF you return to the selling dealer, but there will be a $100 deductible at any other dealer. Works great if you're purchasing local, but not so much if purchasing in another city or state.

I always quote non-wrap policies that start 30 days after you purchase the warranty and cover you for the full term of the policy. Example: If you buy a 60/60 plan today and your car is 2 old with 20k miles, you will be covered until 2023 or 80k miles.

Feel free to reach out to me for quotes via email. I need your VIN and current mileage to accurately quote a policy. It also helps to know how much you plan to drive per year and approx how long you want coverage. I typically give you several options to compare.

I try to return all emails within 24 hours during the week or the following business day if you send an inquiry over the weekend.

RICH

Abel Chevrolet Buick
Rio Vista, CA
Similar to what I got from Dennis. If you do as well with extended warranties as I hear you do on service I would recommend people contact you for a quote.

I'll be in soon for my last free oil change, bypassing a number of closer dealerships on my way. My friend just got his last free oil change last week and was very complimentary about your service.
The following users liked this post:
RichieRichZ06 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:16 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FunDriver
Similar to what I got from Dennis. If you do as well with extended warranties as I hear you do on service I would recommend people contact you for a quote.

I'll be in soon for my last free oil change, bypassing a number of closer dealerships on my way. My friend just got his last free oil change last week and was very complimentary about your service.
I can 100% vouch for Rich/Abel Chevrolet. Super responsive. Best price extended warranty quote that I received. Absolutely recommend.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego:
FunDriver (04-20-2018), RichieRichZ06 (04-20-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:41 PM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

RICH

Abel Chevrolet Buick
Rio Vista, CA
PM Sent

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Now that Dennis can’t sell to CA?