Sponsored by:

GMEPP vs. GMPP....I know, again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Default GMEPP vs. GMPP....I know, again.

So around a year ago we had tons of threads discussing the pros and cons of these two extended warranties. To be honest I kind of skimmed the highlights but noted down the the following....
  • GMPP was the old GM in-house warranty and was purchased by Ally Bank
  • GMEPP was the new "GM" plan
  • The Ally plan can not access GM service records
  • The GMEPP plan has superior coverage, ie MSRC coverage, etc.
  • Purchase the GMEPP plan from Dennis Fichtner to save a bunch of money

So a year later, and now I'm ready to purchase. I send an email to Dennis, get a quote, approve the purchase, and apparently the system he uses to purchase the warranty has been down. No worries, I still have plenty of time before my factory warranty expires on 4/17. Now 3 weeks later, and the system is still down. Note that I'm not blaming Dennis here, in fact he mentioned he would take care of me as soon as possible, unless I wanted to find another source. Since I only have a couple more weeks, I decided just for fun, to call several local Chevrolet Dealers, and they all carry the Ally warranty. None of the them are using the GMEPP plan that is the GM product. And of course all of them tell me how bad the GMEPP is and "I would be crazy to go with them as they are run by a third party that has declared bankruptcy several times in the past, blah, blah, blah". I then called the GM support line, and they gave me a toll free number to GMPP to call for more information.

So, now I'm confused. Why would GM's support line point me to the Ally warranty, instead of the their own product? And why do the local Chevy dealers use Ally? Did I have my information wrong above?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:59 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

I bought the GMEPP plan. When I had to use it both local dealers I have had the car to referred to it as a third party plan and both seemed unfamiliar with it. Both said it was difficult to get approval for the claims.

That said approval was given both times and from my end it was a fairly easy process. I was just surprised Chevy dealers were not familiar with what I assumed was their product.
The following users liked this post:
drs (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

IMHO stick with the GMEPP. Talk with the other dealers to see if one will match Dennis's prices, or get close enough. You never know. Good luck.

BTW, I had the GM plan on my C6, and needed it in Albequerque while on a road trip. Smooth as silk, and back on the road in no time. I expect some dealers would have trouble opening a raisinete's box, but the majority know how to use the system.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-04-2018 at 01:14 PM.
drs (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
So around a year ago we had tons of threads discussing the pros and cons of these two extended warranties. To be honest I kind of skimmed the highlights but noted down the the following....

So a year later, and now I'm ready to purchase. I send an email to Dennis, get a quote, approve the purchase, and apparently the system he uses to purchase the warranty has been down. No worries, I still have plenty of time before my factory warranty expires on 4/17. Now 3 weeks later, and the system is still down. Note that I'm not blaming Dennis here, in fact he mentioned he would take care of me as soon as possible, unless I wanted to find another source. Since I only have a couple more weeks, I decided just for fun, to call several local Chevrolet Dealers, and they all carry the Ally warranty. None of the them are using the GMEPP plan that is the GM product. And of course all of them tell me how bad the GMEPP is and "I would be crazy to go with them as they are run by a third party that has declared bankruptcy several times in the past, blah, blah, blah". I then called the GM support line, and they gave me a toll free number to GMPP to call for more information.

So, now I'm confused. Why would GM's support line point me to the Ally warranty, instead of the their own product? And why do the local Chevy dealers use Ally? Did I have my information wrong above?

im waiting also. Tried to get it last week, he told me the system they use to place the order is changing.
drs (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:45 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks guys for your feedback. Rebel, I called the 3 dealerships around me to do just as you suggest, but they all are using the Ally Bank plan.

I guess I'll spend some time calling around some more, and maybe Dennis will come through in the next few days.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
Thanks guys for your feedback. Rebel, I called the 3 dealerships around me to do just as you suggest, but they all are using the Ally Bank plan.

I guess I'll spend some time calling around some more, and maybe Dennis will come through in the next few days.
You are welcome sir. I know Dennis can help you out if he can just get his system working.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:30 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Ally

Originally Posted by drs

My dealer here only sells Ally . They have no information on the GMEPP !
My c 7 is a 2016 with 8500 miles on it and the dealership offered a 5 year 40,000 policy with $100 deductible for $1500 . I thought this was very reasonable!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:06 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Google Chevrolet Protection Plan and see if Black Cadillac in Ebensburg PA comes up. I bought my GMEPP from them.
The following 3 users liked this post by rmorin1249:
AEBCPAMA (07-31-2018), drs (04-06-2018), probono (04-14-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,458 Posts

Call Mike Furman at Criswell, they sell GMEPP.
drs (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 PM
I got your ZO6
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by tmd937
My dealer here only sells Ally . They have no information on the GMEPP !
My c 7 is a 2016 with 8500 miles on it and the dealership offered a 5 year 40,000 policy with $100 deductible for $1500 . I thought this was very reasonable!

I was quoted $4322 for the "Platinum Visit" GMEPP plan, with the exact same numbers you are posting by Dennis. Seemed way to high but then again I have never bought one of these warranties before. My C7Z is a 15 and the warranty has expired but it only has 1000 miles on it.

Maybe I should call around.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:42 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by I got your ZO6
I was quoted $4322 for the "Platinum Visit" GMEPP plan, with the exact same numbers you are posting by Dennis. Seemed way to high but then again I have never bought one of these warranties before. My C7Z is a 15 and the warranty has expired but it only has 1000 miles on it.

Maybe I should call around.
This may be about right. I understand if you wait until the warranty is expired you get charged the "used car" rate. I definitely would call around to see if you can find a better price. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:14 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by Ammo

im waiting also. Tried to get it last week, he told me the system they use to place the order is changing.
I am also waiting. My 3/36 runs out soon. Hope there are no surprises.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The old GMPP plan was run by GM and using GM employees. There was a regional and District rep that handled the approval on big repairs. After the bankruptcy the New GM dropped all that business and it was purchased by Ally. Ally has an absolutely horrible reputation for their lease business. I bank with them and that part of the business is reasonable. Don't have a clue about the extended warranty business. The new GM has outsourced the administration of claims and and approvals to a third party (a dreaded insurance company). So from the Svc guys perspective it is 3rd party. No longer the friendly GM reps they used to know.

In fact just very recently many states have ruled it is not a warranty but an insurance product, meaning Dennis can't sell it to you if you are in one of the many states that require an insurance product be sold by a state licensed insurance agent. That does make the whole process a bit of a crap shoot. I think I will just keep my cars for 36 months now excepting those that have 48 month warranties. Not worth dealing with an insurance company.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:05 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by pkincy
The old GMPP plan was run by GM and using GM employees. There was a regional and District rep that handled the approval on big repairs. After the bankruptcy the New GM dropped all that business and it was purchased by Ally. Ally has an absolutely horrible reputation for their lease business. I bank with them and that part of the business is reasonable. Don't have a clue about the extended warranty business. The new GM has outsourced the administration of claims and and approvals to a third party (a dreaded insurance company). So from the Svc guys perspective it is 3rd party. No longer the friendly GM reps they used to know.

In fact just very recently many states have ruled it is not a warranty but an insurance product, meaning Dennis can't sell it to you if you are in one of the many states that require an insurance product be sold by a state licensed insurance agent. That does make the whole process a bit of a crap shoot. I think I will just keep my cars for 36 months now excepting those that have 48 month warranties. Not worth dealing with an insurance company.

Still haven't got a firm answer from Dennis on a warranty. Only have two weeks left before b2b runs out. I'm getting a little concerned.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:45 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by waunavet
Still haven't got a firm answer from Dennis on a warranty. Only have two weeks left before b2b runs out. I'm getting a little concerned.
I got an auto reply a few days ago from him saying he is on vacation and will be back in the office on 4/16.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Roscar
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drs

fox auto group painted post ny Andrew brown 607-937-5431
Old 04-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

First, GMEPP isn't really a thing. GMPP is the Ally Plan and the new plan offered by GM Financial is actually called Chevrolet Protection.

Going forward, I believe most dealers will switch to GMF's plan as we did. It's a much better plan and offers lot's of add-ons like Tire & Wheel Protection and Appearance Guard. They also have GAP and Lease Protect but those are only available at the time you purchase.

Feel free to reach out for a quote on Chevy Protection, we're pretty aggressive with our pricing.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

The following 3 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
CryptoScorpion (09-22-2019), Foosh (04-21-2018), Skid Row Joe (04-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To GMEPP vs. GMPP....I know, again.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:15 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Google Chevrolet Protection Plan and see if Black Cadillac in Ebensburg PA comes up. I bought my GMEPP from them.
I have bought two GM plans from Allen...definitely knows his stuff...

Ken
Old 04-14-2018, 05:37 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,458 Posts

Originally Posted by waunavet
Call MIke F at Criswell.
waunavet (04-22-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:38 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drs

I had a negative experience with GMEPP and had a claim denied.

The back story on the denial: I purchased a GMEPP policy on my wife's 14 Cadillac 5 weeks and 1000 miles before the factory warranty expired. While on a road trip 600 miles from home a wheel bearing began to growl then roar. We went to a Cadillace dealer and repair was handled promptly. When we got the car back service advisor informed us claim had been denied. I called GMEPP, spent 45 minutes on the phone working my way up the food chain and finally got to a supervisor. I had exceeded the 30 day and 1000 mile waiting period and he still denied my claim calling the wheel bearing a 'pre existing condition'. He explained, "wheel bearing takes longer than 6 days to go bad". I asked just how long does it take? He didn't know how long and wouldn't share the criteria used.

The Cadillace service advisor told me that our particular model Cadillacs are notorious for bearing failures. This was the second one on this vehicle.

I am sticking with GMPP in future. Luckily I was still in my cancellation period and canceled the policy and received a full refund.(Had to wait 9 weeks.)

I have a GMPP policy on my 13 GS and have had all claims handled smoothly at the dealership.

Quick Reply: GMEPP vs. GMPP....I know, again.