C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do the Corvettes park at an IMSA race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Where do the Corvettes park at an IMSA race?

My son and I will be attending the upcoming (May) IMSA race at Mid-Ohio, and I was just on the website looking at tickets. Besides the admission ticket ($55), there is a $30 charge to park in the infield, which I know from experience is the good place to be, but I do not see any special parking designated for Corvettes.

Is there?

It burns me to say that Porsche has a corral, but I see nothing for us.

For those who have attended IMSA races before, what do Corvette owners do to stick together?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Wife and I are going to Road America in Elkhart, Lake, WI and was told that at least at this race, there is no charge to park in the "corvette corral. There is no mention of it on the IMSA website but it does appear on the map of Road America, so I have to believe that the race is far enough away they haven't focused on it yet.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:05 AM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

There's a big Corvette Corral at the Long Beach GP Friday and Saturday (4/13-14). Sunday it turns into a Cadillac Corral.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When I go to Petit LeMans there is a corvette and porsche corral right across from each other. Never been to Mid Ohio.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

No Corvette Corral this year at Mid Ohio. I guess Corvette owners are on their own this year. Last time IMSA was at Mid Ohio there was a GM sponsored Corvette Corral. This year they elected not to do it. Back in this days it was at the first right as you crossed over the track. It was directly across the track from Corvette Racing’s pits.
Unfortunately we’re all on our own this year.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:31 AM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I’m planning to park in the Corvette Corral at Limerock this year and they have tickets for it on the website now. I went to Mid-Ohio’s website and see there is only a generic Mid-Ohio Car Corral and the Porsche Corral. Maybe like Mcrider said they will add it later? But it’s only a month away, you would think it would be posted by now? I kind of remember people saying last year that there weren’t Corvette Corrals at all of the IMSA races? Maybe Mid-Ohio is one of them?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:33 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Glennm27
No Corvette Corral this year at Mid Ohio. I guess Corvette owners are on their own this year. Last time IMSA was at Mid Ohio there was a GM sponsored Corvette Corral. This year they elected not to do it. Back in this days it was at the first right as you crossed over the track. It was directly across the track from Corvette Racing’s pits.
this is 100% accurate for the IMSA race at Mid-Ohio................... still a great event/venue to attend, even if you don't take you 'Vette and park on the grass............

going to the Canadian IMSA race later this summer, and they haven't yet mentioned if there will be a Corvette Corral or not, as the infield there is much more "rolling hills" than the Mid-Ohio track.........
Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
That's too bad.
Do you know exactly what the reasons were?
Old 04-05-2018, 01:22 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by sunsalem
That's too bad.
Do you know exactly what the reasons were?
GM Corporate sponsorship decision is what I heard related to the Corvette Corral availability and fees to the track.................
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
My son and I will be attending the upcoming (May) IMSA race at Mid-Ohio, and I was just on the website looking at tickets. Besides the admission ticket ($55), there is a $30 charge to park in the infield, which I know from experience is the good place to be, but I do not see any special parking designated for Corvettes.

Is there?

It burns me to say that Porsche has a corral, but I see nothing for us.

For those who have attended IMSA races before, what do Corvette owners do to stick together?
For the Indy car race I ride the motorcycle and park in the infield for free. The problem with parking a car in the infield is it takes a long time to get out after the race is over. I don't think I'll be taking the Vette up there, hard telling where you'll have to park, could be muddy or very rough if no designated Corvette parking.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7
For the Indy car race I ride the motorcycle and park in the infield for free. The problem with parking a car in the infield is it takes a long time to get out after the race is over. I don't think I'll be taking the Vette up there, hard telling where you'll have to park, could be muddy or very rough if no designated Corvette parking.
I was planning on taking my Z06, but now I am worried about damaging the front splitter by hitting a rut or hole in the infield.

And, since there is not going to be a Corvette Corral, I'm not sure there is any point in taking my car to Mid-Ohio.

Lame.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:33 AM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I'm surprised that GM opted not to have the Corvette Corral at Mid-Ohio. I always park in the Corvette Corral at Petit LeMans and enjoy hearing Doug Fehan speak, getting autographs from the drivers and the auctions for various car parts damaged by the drivers during the past season. Being able to hang out in the tent and watch the live feed from the cars and watch the race broadcast during rain events is a bonus.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:53 AM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

there is a whole bunch of us Canadians coming down for the race at Mid-Ohio,,, we will be doing our own corral so look for us,, you can park there,, not exactly sure where we will be until we get there,,but prob on the infield near thunder alley or the key hole..

Last edited by MOSPORT1; 04-06-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Wife and I are going to Road America in Elkhart, Lake, WI and was told that at least at this race, there is no charge to park in the "corvette corral. There is no mention of it on the IMSA website but it does appear on the map of Road America, so I have to believe that the race is far enough away they haven't focused on it yet.
Corral @ RA. No charge to park during any event. A tent is set up with breakfast & lunch during the August IMSA race.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Carvin; 04-06-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: clarify
Mcrider (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:51 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

BIG Corvette Corral at Watkins Glen. Over 250 cars last year. Sponsor is Rochester Corvette club. Similar setup at VIR.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:43 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
I was planning on taking my Z06, but now I am worried about damaging the front splitter by hitting a rut or hole in the infield.

And, since there is not going to be a Corvette Corral, I'm not sure there is any point in taking my car to Mid-Ohio.

Lame.
Looking at their ticket pricing again they have infield parking for $30 and Mid-Ohio Car Corral for $30 so it does sound like they will have special parking but just not limited to Corvettes. There are a lot of places in that infield that you wouldn't want to try and park your Vette. Might be worth a call for clarification (419) 884-4000.
DGA3 (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 04:15 PM
8SPD Z51
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
this is 100% accurate for the IMSA race at Mid-Ohio................... still a great event/venue to attend, even if you don't take you 'Vette and park on the grass............

going to the Canadian IMSA race later this summer, and they haven't yet mentioned if there will be a Corvette Corral or not, as the infield there is much more "rolling hills" than the Mid-Ohio track.........
See this thread for info on the 2018 Corvette Corral at CTMP (Mosport)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-corral.html

Get notified of new replies

To Where do the Corvettes park at an IMSA race?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:17 PM
8SPD Z51
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
BIG Corvette Corral at Watkins Glen. Over 250 cars last year. Sponsor is Rochester Corvette club. Similar setup at VIR.
Rochester Corvette Club provides most of the volunteers but it is put on by GM.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimjimsC7
Looking at their ticket pricing again they have infield parking for $30 and Mid-Ohio Car Corral for $30 so it does sound like they will have special parking but just not limited to Corvettes. There are a lot of places in that infield that you wouldn't want to try and park your Vette. Might be worth a call for clarification (419) 884-4000.
Great idea - thanks.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Foy Toy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Default corvette corral at road america

Originally Posted by Mcrider
only permanent corral . no charge ever. hosted by the kettle moraine corvette club of Sheboygan , wi.
available any public weekend of the year.
ed foy
foytoy
2016 long beach red stingray convertible
fond du lac, wi
Mcrider (04-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Where do the Corvettes park at an IMSA race?