C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you waiting to dump your C7 for a C8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobert
I will tell you though as the owner of a Ferrari 355 that anyone who thinks mid engine cars are easy to maintain is yanking you big time. The C-8 will cost more when it breaks to fix.
Maintaining an old exotic is expensive, the ME design is not the issue.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
If all of this is true I will wait for the twin turbo version...and I am sure it will make me forget I even owned a C7 ZO6.... I think it looks amazing

Last edited by RFBHD; 04-17-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:14 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
Most of the information out there seems to indicate the ME car will indeed be the C8, but we will have to wait for an official release to know for certain. I don't think we know yet if what you are saying is true or not.
In the media, yes. The media is a third hand or fourth hand source.

Car and Driver just said in their latest article that the C7 will be built alongside the ME car for 2-3 years, which is correct. But then they call it the C8, which isn't.

GM doesn't use C7 or C8 internally, they use platform monikers. So the ME and the C8 are both on the Y2XX platform. A platform in this sense is just a development code used to bin finances and parts to. The Camaro, ATS, and CTS are all binned to A1XX for example.

So basically anyone you hear call the ME the C8 doesn't know what they are talking about. It can't be an 8th generation car, it is however the 1st generation of a new car... I'd call it ME1.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 01:17 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

For everything that's correct in that article there is at least the same amount of things incorrect. People should NEVER treat the media like gospel until a car is officially released.

Media is out to SELL magazines, they are not in the buisin3ess of being RIGHT they are in the business of selling HYPE.

I would think intelligent people would realize this, however I'm shocked everyday to see that this isn't true. Common sense is not common apparently.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:43 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

When I saw the C7 for the first time, it made me feel excited, intrigued, might I say obsessed -- so much so that I knew I wanted to have one. And now I do. Sadly, this rendering does not give me that same feeling...
Old 04-17-2018, 01:49 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

No the point is to own as many vettes as possible, why dump one for another, just buy another.

he who dies with the most toys wins.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (04-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

It’s going to be another 4 years so the thought of upgrading to the C8 isn’t even on my mind. I’ll be too busy modding and enjoying my C7 until then.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

without a confirmed C8 model... it's tough to forecast this decision.

When the C6 was introduced... for me there wasn't that much of a difference from the c5; so I kept my C5. We then bought a second C5... kinda his-hers for awhile.

The C7 was enough of a change that we sold both C5's and now am very pleased with our C7.

If the C8 is as different as the C6/7 were to each other... I'll certainly give it a good look.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Wow....that's funny ...that you think the c7 made the c6 obsolete...

The c6 didn't make the c5 obsolete either...

These are all evolutionary cars...

As a c7 owner you must be concerned about obsolescence..

I would suggest to you each evolution of the corvette is better than the previous one by design of the engineers hard at work to figure out how to make the new model sell better especially to enthusiasts..

I'm sure the c8 will be slightly better than the c7 but even that fact will not detract from the awesomeness that is c7 corvette.

The same is true for previous generations such as the c5 and c6.

There are attributes of each generation that should never be dismissed or disregarded...

Otherwise you take the chance to spend your life chasing the next latest and greatest for the title as opposed to the actual experience.

Enjoy your ride.
Maybe you're stuck in the past? In that case stay in your C4, C5, & C6 then.
Perhaps the better question for you is; "Will you finally dump your C5 & C6, for a C8? Since you believe they're superior to the C7?"

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
When the C8 makes the C7 as obsolete as the C6 now is, I'm hoping to have already been on-board for a year or two in my new C8.

If the rumors of the C8, only having an automatic transmission prove to be true, then I'll have no interest in one.
dvilin:
Great observation on the C6. I happened to see my 2008 Vette coupe that I traded back in 2015 and wow it looked clean but outdated. Not saying they are not a good looking car just outdated/old/obsolete.[/b]
Outdated/Old/Obsolete.......that covers it at least back to the C4 too.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 04-17-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

First ME will not be a ZR1 bc it just came out and they overlap the newer generations.
And if all I could afford was a C6, I would have one in a heartbeat (I write this right as a beautiful C5 rolls by lol)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
For everything that's correct in that article there is at least the same amount of things incorrect. People should NEVER treat the media like gospel until a car is officially released.

Media is out to SELL magazines, they are not in the buisin3ess of being RIGHT they are in the business of selling HYPE.

I would think intelligent people would realize this, however I'm shocked everyday to see that this isn't true. Common sense is not common apparently.
I believe about 50% of that video.

But IF, JUST IF that C8 does look anything near what's featured in the video, then IMHO it's on it's way to looking as good if not better than a base stingray.

I could just imagine what the final product looks like, and then the Z06 version???? Forget about it.

It actually makes me excited because i really love my C7Z. But i know in about 2-3 more years i will be bored of it, so if the C8 brings great hopes, then i can look foward into upgrading to the C8Z.

I just hope they do it right with the engine/cooling/trans options.

I wanna get a dual clutch toy already lol. But if GM doesn't do it, i hope they still offer that manual.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know if I would "dump" my C7 for a C8. If the C8 is as cool as the fanboys say it is going to be, then maybe I'll trade up...but you can bet I'll wait a few years to wait for the bugs to get worked out. That is IF the new car is that cool. I'll be honest... the new car in it's camo suit ain't blowin' my skirt up, and I'm not exactly breathing hard over Car and Driver's rendering. We'll see how it actually goes.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:17 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
When I saw the C7 for the first time, it made me feel excited, intrigued, might I say obsessed -- so much so that I knew I wanted to have one. And now I do. Sadly, this rendering does not give me that same feeling...

That's no surprise. Renderings always seem to be based on the current vehicle.

The actual designers usually will look for some points of continuity with the current car, but they are free to go much farther. Thus you got the new rear end of C7 which drove some people crazy with "no more round taillights!" but was exactly the right choice to make something new and intriguing that would draw in new buyers.

Generally the designers will go far out and then pull back a little to make cars that won't be too far from what buyers expect. (I don't know if you remember the original Ford Taurus, but some people were hugely offended by its aerodynamic styling that seems very tame today. In the original Robocop movie they used Tauruses as cars of the future, they seemed so extreme.)

I've got family members in auto design and engineering. They can't reveal much because of non-disclosure agreements that they take very seriously, but when you tell them you really like X new vehicle, they will say something along the lines of, "Right, it's nice, but you should see what's coming in three or five years."

These guys live in the future of auto design. The rest of us are living in the present and trying to guess what they already know.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

If the C8 is ME only and is the only Corvette being built I think GM is taking a big risk that could backfire on them? GM may think that this will bring in younger buyers? Let's face it Corvette has one of the biggest repeat customer bases of any car built? To try and reinvent the wheel with a totally different car is a huge gamble?

I will say this if ME is the only Corvette look for very strong prices on used ZR1's, ZO6's, Convertibles, and M7 equipped cars.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Thanks but the title on that mag is completely incorrect. To be correct it should read "After 6 decades of getting it wrong, we're hoping this time we (Car & Driver) get it right."
Old 04-17-2018, 09:17 PM
MHE-Plex
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 115 Posts

Nope.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 PM
PuffyC
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C7 was such an advancement for the Corvette inside and out that it's hard even imagining what it would take for the C8 to do the same. With that said, I'd definitely buy a C8 if:

1. It was still the screaming bargain it is today.
2. I can still get 2 sets of golf clubs plus a couple bags in it.
3. It was as visually stunning as the C7.

Having a car like a Corvette or Porsche or even a McLaren is nice, but if I can't bring a friend or SO along when we go do stuff then it's just not worth it to me.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

The current C7 smokes most mid-engine exotics on race tracks globally now. The challenge for GM is making any mid-engined sports car faster than the C7. Good luck with that. In the very best case scenario they come out with a car with a base price in the $60K-$70K range which makes a car equivalent to the one I'm driving an $85K+ sled. That will command LIST PRICE for years (not the current $8K-$10K discount). So am i all that eager to 'trade up' to the tune of $40K-$50K plus my trade to a car that I can't even fit my bicycle into?

Even I'm not that stupid, and I'm certainly not that rich. I'd be more tempted to trade up from my '17 Z51 to an '18 or '19 GS - you know, one with a massively discounted sales price. Or a nice Porsche Cayman S.

To be clear, I might be driving my Z51 for an awfully long time. That works. Hey, it won't have car payments either.

Last edited by patentcad; 04-18-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Are you waiting to dump your C7 for a C8?