Sponsored by:

Tire/Wheel Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:37 AM
flyforfun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Tire/Wheel Protection

So I am going to pick up my new 2019 SO GS M7 on Saturday. Before I do so, I was being asked if I wanted to purchase the Tire and Wheel Protection Package that covers all damage from road hazards for 7 years up to $5000 for $900. From discussions here, it seems that the rims can take damage easily and replacing gets very expensive. Thoughts?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:02 AM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

As bent rims seem to be an issue on GS and Z06 rims even without "major" road incidents, I would say that $900 may be a good investment. This isn't even going into the tire replacement aspect of the coverage.

Warranty on these bent rim issues seem to be hit or miss depending on the dealer and whether or not a GM rep. needs to be involved.

That being said, do the homework on what is and is not covered in what is being offered in the coverage that costs $900. "All damage" may mean exactly that or could contain exclusions and limitations. Hopefully it doesn't and it is exactly as you say. But ask the tough questions up front before buying it and get the details in writing of course.

Sometimes there may even be some negotiating in the final cost of this coverage that could bring you in under the stated $900.

If I could do it all over again when buying my '16 Z06, I would opt-in for this coverage as I was one who ended up with two bent wheels and can't even say how/when it happened.

Just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

At the end of the day, many things will factor in for you such as: spending the extra money, road conditions in your area, your driving habits (including tracking), your dealer's track record for warrantying things like this, the potential peace of mind in that if warranty doesn't cover something like this the coverage "ought" to.

Either way, Congrats on your you ride! Enjoy it and post some pics when you get it!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:06 AM
hammong
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have never had to "replace" a wheel due to road/pothole damage. I've had a few bent rims, and there are some really good wheel shops around here that can repair and/or repaint a bent rim for about $100-$120 and it be indistinguishable from new. Most tire protection contracts will repair first, replace second. Read the fine print.

Everything is negotiable. That $900 contract option probably costs the dealer $500 or so. I think there's some wiggle room in it.

Greg
Old 04-21-2018, 04:25 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the wheel and tire insurance on my 09 and 17. The 09 I had to use it as a huge washer from a downed light post was rolling across the road, went through the tire, and damaged the rim. Insurance paid for a tire and wheel/rim but I had to pay for the other rear tire as I did not want to run two different tires, consequently I had to change the fronts to as the car started to hop in front on corners. The light post the girl hit fall on her car but parts went everywhere.
tire and wheel $1,000 if I remember right and I currently have this insurance on my 17 also. FOB insurance also.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire/Wheel Protection

Quick Reply: Tire/Wheel Protection