Battery Replacement Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:41 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Default Battery Replacement Advice

So I just took delivery of my new to me 2014 Z51 M7. And since I don’t know how old the battery is, I can only speculate that it is the original one. With the Arizona scorching temperatures right around the corner, I figured it best just to replace it before I get myself in a crappy situation.

So the battery has just been purchased from my local Chevrolet dealer and I plan on doing the install tomorrow. Just thought I’d ask if there is anything special about this installation or is it just a regular 5 minute job like any other vehicle.

Thank you!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:52 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Unfortunately, there are several pitfalls in getting a new battery installed, including ripping the carpet if you are not careful..You need to look up instructions from Jerry U. It pays to remove trim and take your time. I removed the whole side panel to be able to fold the carpet completely out of the way...be sure to remove the vent tube or it will hang up when you try to pull the battery out. I also removed all wires from box on top of the battery so I could get it out of the way instead of just folding it back...the more you can get out of the way, the easier it is to get the battery in and out...
BTW- the factory battery was ACDelco Silver series, and I replaced mine with ACDelco GOLD series with 42 month replacement.

Jerry has the most complete instructions you will find anywhere.

http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-22-2018 at 07:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TEXHAWK0:
beaversstonehaven (04-21-2018), JerryU (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:30 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,590 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Automotive batteries typically have a manufacture's date code and/or warranty sticker revealing it's age. If there's no current indication of a battery problem I would check that prior to replacement. Considering the C7 is fours years I wouldn't necessarily speculate the existing battery is the original even if it is a Delco.
Just saying, would be a shame to go through trouble of replacement if battery isn't that old.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 04-22-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:56 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Automotive batteries typically have a manufacture's date code and/or warranty sticker revealing it's age. If there's no current indication of a battery problem I would check that prior to replacement. Considering the C7 is fours years I wouldn't necessarily speculate the existing battery is the original even if it is a Delco.
Just saying, would be a shame to go through trouble of replacement if battery isn't that old.
Correct. Delco batteries should have a 3 digit code on the top label. First two are the month, last digit is the year.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541
So I just took delivery of my new to me 2014 Z51 M7. And since I don’t know how old the battery is, I can only speculate that it is the original one. With the Arizona scorching temperatures right around the corner, I figured it best just to replace it before I get myself in a crappy situation.

So the battery has just been purchased from my local Chevrolet dealer and I plan on doing the install tomorrow. Just thought I’d ask if there is anything special about this installation or is it just a regular 5 minute job like any other vehicle.

Thank you!
Yep several tricks like how to get the large power board on the positive terminal off, etc!
This is a PDF of my install, lots of pics with text: http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 04-22-2018 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jdk541 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 03:13 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I just replaced mine for the second time, first time was December 16, 2016 (4 days shy of it's 4 year delivery date) and let me tell you, it's a pain in the ***! Careful not to rip the carpet bending it back, mine's toast, why GM didn't make the access to the battery easier by making fold in the carpet I have no idea. Anyway, I replaced mine under warranty, it's an interstate but I think it's mainly because it couldn't handle starting in cold temperatures in the winter, I have now since discovered that placing an interior heater near the battery totally helps with cold weather starting (although it doesn't help the poor engine, that will be my next step, interior heater under the hood if I decide to drive it in the winter again), again, why GM didn't put a block heater in the LT1 like they did with previous generations I have no idea.

Removing the battery from the cramped compartment is another swear word inducing process (again, why GM and Delco didn't put a handle on the battery I have no idea), so much WTF in GM designs it's almost funny. I forget what socket sizes you'll need but I think you'll need 3 metric sizes, two for sure so bring your entire socket set with extenders.

As far as replacement battery, stay away from Kirkland, I'm not too happy with Interstate, I had an Optima in my C5 which did me well although without looking I don't know if the post placement is C7 friendly (I'm 99% sure they have a replacement for a C7 though). Delco is fine, it lasted 4 years with cold temps and no plugging in but just a pita to install and remove since you can't get a battery puller in there.

Good luck.
Bavaria (04-22-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 AM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Is it just the coupe that presents the problems changing the battery? I swapped the one in my '14 vert last year and the whole process was easy and quick.

I also went with the 42 month Delco.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:55 AM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

I decided I’m not going to mess with it. I have changed hundreds of batteries in my lifetime, but since I have only owned this vehicle for about a week, I just see visions of the worst happening. It’s not worth it to me.

The car car is getting all new tires on Thursday and then Friday a trip to the dealer for an alignment and oil change. I will just have them install it for me then.

Thank you you for all the awesome replies.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

^^^

Hmm, perhaps enough time has past and the dealer Tech has replaced a battery in a C7 so they won't rip the carpet!

There were still posts where that happened when I changed my battery 1 1/2 ago! But soon after I got my September 2013 built C7 Z51 I had to access the rear fuse panel that is to the left on the battery (as a source of power for my radar detector.) Saw it was easy to tear the corner of the unbound carpet that is under the passenger plastic wheel well! Can guarantee if you were to call AAA to jump start the car they would rip it!

My PDF shows an easy way to avoid. In fact since you may have to access the battery at some time, why not use this trick (pic below) and at least pull the carpet out yourself if you don't want to change it yourself. This suggestion is NOT in the Owner's or the 4 volume Service Manual.

See pic, your car your choice!

You can see the unbound carpet under the plastic wheel well cover. You must pull it out from under. The carpet back is stiff (cheap) and will tear! Best to remove the clip that is ~3 inches from the floor. It is NOT like the very strong clips used to hold most trim. You can unclip with your fingers or a screw driver. If you have plastic trim tools fine but it's not really needed. I only disconnect the lower rear clip and do not remove the more difficult other upper fasteners, which TEXHAWKO shows in his post. You can see the unbound carpet even better in his pic. You can see from the wood molding I used to take the pic, it will provide room. Just hold it out with one hand as you pull the carpet out with the other. It goes back with the closed side of your hand.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-23-2018 at 07:23 AM.
jdk541 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:34 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Just make sure you get the pos post really back down good if it is the least bet loose it will put out a code are will not start.. Ask me how I know that just chg mine out about a month ago..Robert
Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

The carpet rips so easily, I have even thought about cutting the corner of the carpet out with a clean cut where I can just remove it, and not even mess with trying to keep it folded back.. I may still do that. I could hold it in place with velcro or something.
JerryU (04-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Replacement Advice

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement Advice