C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally! A dashcam made for Corvette owners! OwlCam!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by evoroadster
All well and good but has anyone yet used this with an OBD port splitter. I will not give up my Range for this.
Yes. It works. I have a Dashlogic device and the owl camera on a splitter. This is the one that works for me.

-M

VIMVIP 16 pin OBD2 OBDII Splitter Extension Cable Male to Dual Female Y Cable (OBD Splitter Cable)

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
evoroadster (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:38 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viperZ06
Got one, installed it, quit working after 10 minutes of driving. Must have got a lemon. Front camera went out and it would not quit searching for the network but could never find it. I am returning it and they said they would send a replacement. We will see if they do and I will give an update on the replacement. I bought it because of the ease and neatness off install.
They informed me today the will over night a new on Monday.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Received and installed my OwlCam this afternoon. I'm very impressed. Installation is unbelievably simple in about 10 minutes, all wires are easily hidden w/ the included tuck tool given the C7 dash design and OBDII location. It looks great in the car.

The app is very elegant, and the video quality is excellent. It's much smaller than the OP pictures appear. When the car is parked, the ability to see live video from both inside and outside the car from your smart phone is ingenious, and I tested the alerts sent to a linked phone when motion is detected. The app makes it easy to review history and save clips as necessary.

I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to mess with it given the bright flashing green strobe visible from outside when it's sleeping. It's on 24/7 when the car is running, and ready to wake up instantaneously when asleep. It requires no operator intervention except when you want to save a clip for future use, or to review a piece of video, which is easy from the phone app. All video is saved in the cloud for plenty of time for you to save it to your phone or laptop if you so desire.

Kudos to OwlCam.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-07-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

1440 x 720 is acceptible for 2010.

The resolution should be available to be user selected between 4k, 2k, and 1920 x1080.

Hopefully this camera will improve resolutions as the months go by and new versions are released.

Looks very promising.

Did it come with a rear camera?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The HD-quality video is more than adequate for any reason one would want to use a dash cam for security and self-defense. I'm not interested in making feature-length films here.

It's the simplicity, instant video access from a smart phone, 4G/LTE, no operator action required, as well as it's 24/7 protection, whether parked or moving that distinguishes this device from others. You don't have to do anything except save video when you need it or want it for any other reason.

You did mention something that many will be interested in. Updates in the future will be delivered "Tesla-style" to your installed OwlCam via 4G/LTE without you having to do anything.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-07-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:02 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viperZ06
Got one, installed it, quit working after 10 minutes of driving. Must have got a lemon. Front camera went out and it would not quit searching for the network but could never find it. I am returning it and they said they would send a replacement. We will see if they do and I will give an update on the replacement. I bought it because of the ease and neatness off install.
they overnighted a replacement and a return prepaid postage for the return. Put it in , took about 5 minutes. Working great so far!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:44 PM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Placed my order yesterday for the camera from Owl and an OBD port splitter from Amazon. I got a 10% discount for being military from Owl. That was a pleasant surprise. Camera however won't be delivered until June 2.

Quick Reply: Finally! A dashcam made for Corvette owners! OwlCam!