Sponsored by:

The end of an era

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,706 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackhawkz06
Are we 100% on the no more manual transmission.... If this is true... I might lean more towards a hurracan than a c8 corvette... I deff wont be trading in my z06 like i initially thought i would... If there is no more manual, i will deff shop around instead of just ordering one like i initially planned.
I'm 100% sure that nothings 100% sure on the C8 and fate of the C7 as of yet.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
ElGreco53 (04-29-2018), ExRedRacer (04-28-2018), Red C8 of Jax (04-28-2018), Trackhawkz06 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 AM
Trackhawkz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

Thank you... I thought i saw someone had some inside info in the other thread... Wasn't positive thou! Enjoy your weekend!
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

With the arrival of the ME you might have to say goodbye to the great view of the front end from behind the wheel when driving.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:07 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

Sure hope Chevy keeps making a front engine manual Vette. I'm just old-fashioned. But if I ever buy a mid-engine, it'll be a Porsche.
"Don't ever play someone else's game on their field. Play your own game."
Trackhawkz06 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The C7 moved so far away from what the traditional lines of a Corvette have looked like that it bears no resemblance to the "American Icon" Corvette had become.
Really? Based on what? I’d say the Corvette has “evolved” quite nicely while remaining relevant and exciting.
The following 11 users liked this post by Big Lebowski:
Bavaria (04-28-2018), Boiler_81 (04-28-2018), Dif (04-30-2018), ExRedRacer (04-28-2018), FunDriver (04-28-2018), JimNeedsC7 (05-19-2018), rb185afm (06-27-2018), Red C8 of Jax (04-28-2018), Skid Row Joe (04-30-2018), sTz (04-28-2018), WKM (04-29-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm with that - the evolution has been quite nice. Actually, if you remove the C3 from the chain, it looks even more natural. The C3 screamed "Track car". The other models showed themselves more as versatile sports cars.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:34 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Meh, this information was already posted and debated 2 weeks ago. I’ll wait and see...
Old 04-28-2018, 10:22 AM
SilverFish
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Are we 100% on the no more manual transmission.... If this is true... I might lean more towards a hurracan than a c8 corvette... I deff wont be trading in my z06 like i initially thought i would... If there is no more manual, i will deff shop around instead of just ordering one like i initially planned.
No manual for means I won't be buying anymore new Corvettes and will look elsewhere. Jaguar F Type maybe? Back to Shelby Mustangs again? I'm actually open to some thing like the design rendering illustrates but no manual is a show stopped for me.
Kent1999 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

It’s funny how that article writes “opinion” as if it is “fact”.

Did I miss the quoted reliable sources?

We’re just supposed to “take their word” on everything?

Not saying some of their SPECULATION won’t or can’t come true, but I’ll just take it as “fun to read fiction” until they can actually provide sources.

And of course, count me in as one of the dinosaurs who simply will NOT buy an automatic transmission-only Corvette. If the C7 is my last Corvette after literally decades of being an owner/enthusiast — so be it.
Corgidog1 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Time marches on for almost every product. There are always those who do not like change. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not the end of the world.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Thank you... I thought i saw someone had some inside info in the other thread... Wasn't positive thou! Enjoy your weekend!
Yeah - take the information with a grain of salt for the moment. C7 still produces MTs at an overall 20-25% clip (for the Z06 specifically, 1 out of 3), which is substantially over the national average, and I believe even over convertible sales.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
Time marches on for almost every product. There are always those who do not like change. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not the end of the world.
I see what you are saying, but it would be inaccurate to think that anyone not liking this purported “evolvement” of the Corvette does so just because they “dislike change”. Nothing wrong with change, but it would be the height of foolishness to think that changes are always for the better, and thus must always be embraced.

But we do agree — Totally not the end of the world. There are lots of other choices for sports cars other than Corvette. I’ve always loved Corvettes, but also could be happy with Porsche, Shelby, etc. if GM takes a major directional change with Corvettes that I don’t like.

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-28-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:58 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

GM will build ''BOTH'' cars side by side for 3-5 more years,they need to pay for the building expansion and all the work they put into the c7
Old 04-28-2018, 05:13 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
With the arrival of the ME you might have to say goodbye to the great view of the front end from behind the wheel when driving.
It's a great view that I like seeing except when going westbound as the sun is setting, the reflection off the hood can be blinding and uncomfortable compared to cars where you can't see the front end.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I still do not think the ME will be the only Corvette option, I think the FE will still be offered for a few years. In any case I will not lose any sleep over the possibilities and will enjoy what I have.
If Car & Drivers picture is anywhere close (I do highly doubt it is, but) I'll be doing just as you did brother. I'm off to look for a nice Z car, and be done.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:26 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Relax. It all remains auto journalist speculation on a friggin vaporware car.
Rebel Yell (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by patentcad
This. And why link a C8 thread in C7 Gen?

Get notified of new replies

To The end of an era

Old 04-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

IMO, discussions as to exactly what the new C8 is going to be and the fate of the C7 is premature at this point, especially any based on a magazine article that's prime purpose is to sell magazines.

I would suggest waiting on getting yourselves all stirred up until there's an "official" announcement from GM.
- No, it is not premature. If you are an astute reader of C&D then you can tell when they are estimating a detail and when they know a detail from inside sources. And we have C8 mules running around and can judge many things from those mules that corroborate C&D's article.
What IS certain is:
1) Mid engine.
2) Twin tips behind the rear wheels.
3) A smaller trunk.
What is very likely, from a combination of C&D sources, spy photos and direct interviews is:
4) No targa roof.
5) No manual transmission.
6) Poorer rear visibility.

You can wait if you want, it's a free country. But if you wait until GM announces details officially to order a C7 I see a risk of the words "nationally constrained" in your order's future. Just go back and look at what happened to Watkins Glen Gray orders after the official word came out.

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
I was going to leave this post alone, until I saw this part:
All of the other things aside, there is absolutely no way production for the C7 is going to straight up end in January of 2019 barring an unexpected plant shutdown; in which case, no Corvettes will be built at all.

I'll say the same thing I said when people were expecting the C8 to be out as we speak, yet were still expecting a 2018 NAIAS reveal three weeks before the event this year (even though that concept of thinking was borderline asinine + no hints of GM saying anything Corvette related at the time except the ZR1) only to be disappointed: If GM reveals this vehicle at the NAIAS which is actually possible in 2019, the C7 is not getting discontinued in the same month. A more likely month (if it was to happen) would be around March or maybe April of 2019.
- I would certainly hope that the C7 would continue on in production longer. Frankly I hoped that the Corvette would continue on indefinitely as a front engined sports car. The C8 should have a different name, perhaps officially The Zora, to signify it as a different Corvette than the Stingray. That is how I would do it. But I am not GM and I don't know the details of their budget. Obviously they don't plan on building both Corvette architectures in the future, so they had to choose. And only a mid-engine gives them the traction the car needs to make the numbers to makes the sales according to their research.

From what I remember from The Bash interviews the entire Bowling Green plant will be shut down in August, set to re-open in December. Now, ask yourselves, would they shut down the whole plant to reconfigure it to produce both C7 and C8s, then shut it down a second time to switch over to only C8s later? Or would it make more sense to kill a quarter year's profits only once? Honestly I can see it both ways.
1) Shut down, then reopen with C7 and C8 parallel production because GM is nervous about the C8 being accepted by Corvette buyers. This leaves them a way out, perhaps, but costs them a lot more in the long run if the C8 is successful.
2) Shut down, then reopen with only C8 production because the future has been decided. And it's not like there is another front-engine practical and very fast sports car for any C7 owners to switch to. You can argue Mustang or Challenger, but no, neither of them are really comparable in terms of driving dynamics. This is the strongarm owner loyalty play.

I just read about the overlap. That explains a lot if correct. The ME will, if it comes out of the chute without any major problems, is a huge game changer, If you take ZR1 horsepower and put it in a weight balanced ME vehicle, the racing world of Ferrari, Porsche and Ford are in serious trouble.

I am curious as to will the C8 be supercharged, or move to twin turbos.....
- C&D flatly stated TT for the uprated C8 engine. They didn't hedge with any verbage to inply that it was a guess or estimation. In my experience they only do this when they have direct knowledge 100% from a factory source. If it wasn't they would have used different words.

Originally Posted by patentcad
Originally Posted by Steve_R
This. And why link a C8 thread in C7 Gen?
- It isn't vaporware. The C8 exists NOW. They are nearly through final testing. The Corvette plant will be closed down this fall to ready it for C8 production. That means production is likely to start in January 2019.

I made this thread in the C7 section, since you obviously didn't actually read my OP, as a courtesy to C7 owners/prospective owners. Because many reading THIS forum section prefer a front engined Corvette. Starting this thread was to inform those ignorant of the fact that the C8 is very close and that the end of C7 production is probably closer than they think. So if you want to order a C7 I would get on it ASAP.
The following 2 users liked this post by Palantirion:
BrookenookZO6 (05-20-2018), rsvette12 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,166 Likes on 2,250 Posts

The C7 moved so far away from what the traditional lines of a Corvette have looked like that it bears no resemblance to the "American Icon" Corvette had become. The C8 just continues that line where it's just going to look like another European sports car. I give kudo's to Porsche where they've found that way to evolve and yet still maintain the look where you immediately know it's a Porsche.

Losing any trunk space kills it as anything other than a bar hopper.
I COMPLETELY disagree with you. While the C7 is a major advance in the design of the Corvette its DNA is all Corvette.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion

It isn't vaporware. The C8 exists NOW.
Car guys won't ever get it.

Until you can walk into the dealership, write a check and drive it home, it is friggin VAPORWARE. Moreover, extrapolating this alleged (50 years worth of allegations in fact) car GM keeps threatening to sell us (via its inability to keep its corporate 'secrets' which is admittedly much harder in the car biz) into the extinction of the C7 despite rampant competing rumors to the contrary is pretty silly. Try not to get an aneurism over pointless speculation.

Nothing is more unfathomable, destructive to a company's sales and maddening in general than friggin vaporware. It would be worth whatever money GM has to spend to keep a MUCH tighter lid on this crap. Seriously.

Last edited by patentcad; 04-28-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Steve_R (04-28-2018)

Quick Reply: The end of an era