Sponsored by:

"Courtesy delivery" question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Dealerships have to create a business model that works as the business world evolves, i.e. Amazon; or they will wind up like Toys-R-Us!

I know the large Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer in town makes money with 16 service bays, parts and they have just build a new very impressive body shop on the same site where they put the Nissan dealership they just bought!

Yep, just bought our new BMW SUV from them for my wife but they were not eager to do courtesy delivery on the Grand Sport! It was my fault as I did not approach the finance manager first, asked the salesman we bought our BMW's from! Good guy. Should not have expected he would give me a positive answer! The controller is who I contacted at the small dealership 30 miles away that did Courtesy Delivery for a flat $250! Went there for my MRC update two weeks ago because the service manager and C7 Tech were great!

Must admit, it doesn't help the salesman or sales manager or the kickback they get (or not in my case) from the finance company. But that is the dealers decision, make the sales manger and salesman happy or develop a viable business model that fits today's environment.

Sorry car salesman and don't like to say it but self check out is replacing cashiers!
It is amazing how little true knowledge those people who want to predict the franchised auto dealer being replaced by an Amazon type distributor actually have...none!

What will change the game will be self driving cars. The average person will have no reason to own a vehicle and driving on public roads by an individually operated vehicle will be banned.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:03 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by smurfmacaw
If I owned a dealership and was asked to do a courtesy delivery, I would set a price that had a fair profit for the work involved in the delivery and count my self lucky to have the extra revenue. No carrying cost, no inventory cost, don't even have to share the profit with a salesman. I want to be your competition in the same town and do all the courtesy deliveries.

Since I treated a customer well, perhaps they'll even remember it and let my service department do the service on the car for them. I'll probably never be able to beat McMulkin or the other huge corvette clearing houses on a corvette, but I'm sure they won't be going there for that new car for their kid......
I happen to know a very successful salesperson who, in his prior job said almost exactly what you propose. There are many ways to make money and ticking off a customer is not good for business. Or future business. And the name of the game is not just today and what did you do for me today---it can be about building your book, too, which is all about tomorrow.

I always recall the "restaurant scenario." If I eat at a place say 3 times per month (or buy a car every year) and they treat me badly----what do you think I'll do? Right. Instead of 3 times per month I may only go once per month when someone drags me there. That means, they've just "lost" 2/3 or 67% of MY REVENUE! Plus, what do you think I've said in the interim about the way I was treated, why I'd rather not eat there (or buy a car there), etc.? Right---nothing positive, that's for sure.

Last edited by AORoads; 05-01-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Devil Z51
If i owned a dealership and was asked to do a courtesy delivery i would say hell no. If you can't buy from me then go pick it up where ever you bought it from. Not trying to be an *** but that's just the way i feel about it.
I've bought cars from both local and internet dealers. I can generally find a Lexus that I like from a local dealer but I want to order my Corvette exactly as I want it. However, no local dealers have had an allocation good enough to get what I want in a reasonable period of time. So buying from an internet dealer not only offers great pricing but also a good delivery time.

By the way, I understand your point of view and some dealers won't do courtesy deliveries for that exact reason. Others just give a high quote but that's the price of purchasing online.

Quick Reply: "Courtesy delivery" question