Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM has the worst customer service ever!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:00 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

When I read the OP's first post I looked at the originator's name thinking "Did I write this?" I've also had five Vettes, was strung along for two years with my 2015's A8 tranny, and found little help from GM or any of the dealers I attempted to work with in resolving it. Mine took 30 days to get fixed (TC replacement and 3X flush) once the repair was authorized and when completed did seem to run fine at least for the two weeks I owned it before trading it in on a GS M7. Life is good again, as I really love the C7 in general--just not the A8, the dealers, or the corporate rigmarole and glaring lack of concern. Not quite the same scenario as the OP but close enough.

So far (14 months) my GS has been trouble-free, but if I ever do need warranty service I really don't know who I would turn to, as none of these local dealers has my confidence. I've been lied to, ignored, and generally mistreated in dealing with the first C7s issues--and that's not right for the buyer of one of GM's flagship cars. So to the OP, you're not alone. My advice is that if you like the car, it is otherwise reliable, and ever do get the A8 running up to expectations, just keep it and buy an extended warranty to cover you later on.

My A8 was very quirky: Shuddering, tach oscillation, sloppy 1-2 shifts when cold, and sporadic failure to engage D or R when cold. They tried the relearn procedure and that didn't help. When they had the A8 out for the TC job they refused to fix the delayed engagement issue because I never could demonstrate it to a service rep. Thus, that was never fixed. I'm not sure if they've cleared up all the quirks and other issues plaguing the A8, but after two years I had enough. Like I said, going to an M7 was my solution and I wish I had done that from the beginning.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Lexus seems to still get it right.
Originally Posted by AORoads
Yes, Lexus does.
Originally Posted by FunDriver
The thing is, from my experience, Lexus seldom fails so I've had little need to visit their service department.

So far my C7 has been flawless but I had numerous problems with my C5 and C6. A
nd had to turn in my first Corvette, an 85 C4, under the Lemon Law.
My current and second Lexus has 207k miles on it. The car has been exceptional and their customer service always exceeds expectations. I honestly had/have concerns about how Chevrolet will meet my current expectations in this regard. I'm hopeful that the OP gets the issue resolved quickly and also learning the dealership in question here.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
My current and second Lexus has 207k miles on it. The car has been exceptional and their customer service always exceeds expectations. I honestly had/have concerns about how Chevrolet will meet my current expectations in this regard. I'm hopeful that the OP gets the issue resolved quickly and also learning the dealership in question here.
A friend has 384K miles on his 2004 Lexus and has never had a big problem. I have 54K miles on a similar Lexus and have never had even one problem. I doubt my C7 will be driven even 1/2 of that so I hope it will continue to work flawlessly for all that time.

Last edited by FunDriver; 05-02-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:28 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I own three cars, a 2017 Corvette (Z51, M7), a 2017 Prius Prime and a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Here's a story that illustrates what GOOD customer service is in a situation like the OP's:

Our 2017 Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid) was getting warning lights: 'Hybrid System Malfunctioning Bring Car to Dealer' and another similar warning. No symptoms on the car, but they kept re-appearing. Visit one to the dealer they re-set the lights. A week later they were appearing again. So we bring the Prius Prime back. The dealer spends a week trying to sort it out, no dice. They call the regional service guys in, no dice. They're on the phone with national headquarters. They're all on the phone with the factory in Japan.

Finally, Toyota FLIES TWO TOP TECHS from Japan all the way to Newburgh, NY. Within 48 hours they determine a voltage spike from an electrical issue with the A/C compressor is causing the car's ECU (Electronic Control Unit) to send erroneous signals and trigger the warning lights. They replace the A/C compressor and the ECU. We have had the car back for two months, the problem appears to be repaired.

During this entire time Newburgh Toyota provides us with a very nice 2018 Camry XLE loaner car @ no charge. This whole process took the about three weeks, but the did FIX the CAR and we were never really inconvenienced. That's how it should be in these situations.

I was very impressed by how the dealer and the manufacturer responded to this issue, which was getting close to a potential lemon law scenario. Happy they were able to fix the car.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-02-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Lexus rules the school. My IS300 DD has 190k on it and runs like it is brand new. To bad the LFA is so $$$$$$$$
Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,117 Likes on 754 Posts

There are some great Chevrolet dealers and some that (as mentioned) can't repair a wiper washer bottle. I think the OP got the latter. I would try another Chevrolet dealer, probably one that repairs a lot of vets. If the OP's dealer had properly diagnosed and repaired his transmission, he would have not needed Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Agree, in my opinion there isn't such thing as a lemon car. There are however lemon dealers.

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
There are some great Chevrolet dealers and some that (as mentioned) can't repair a wiper washer bottle. I think the OP got the latter. I would try another Chevrolet dealer, probably one that repairs a lot of vets. If the OP's dealer had properly diagnosed and repaired his transmission, he would have not needed Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,360 Likes on 14,010 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by C5Driver
FYI many States allow for a lemon law buy back after 30 consecutive days in service. I'm just saying! Check your States ruling on this.
It is certainly worth looking into.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:48 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Any word on your car????
Old 05-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC7
Lexus rules the school. My IS300 DD has 190k on it and runs like it is brand new. To bad the LFA is so $$$$$$$$

Have an '07 GS350 with 90k - no major problems in 11 years of ownership. Went to look at an '18 GS, and couldn't stomach the cow catcher front end treatment.
I'll try again in another 10 years, which is when I may look at new Corvettes! My '15 C7 is a keeper.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:12 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Aenigma
I’m in a Vette club and have been ranting on their forums. A suggestion was given to move it here.
The c7 is my fifth Vette, not to count the other c7 I had for 2 days before the back end busted.

My c7 has been at the dealership service since April 14th. The transmission should be replaced but GM only authorizes one bogus check every few days. Still as of today there is no resolution. I have filed complaints with GM but the customer service dept has no connection to the repair dept. All they do is call the dealership to check my status and then call me 2 days after the dealership has given me the same update.

I am so so disappointed in GM. Their service is the pits. And 2 c7s now that busted at the get go. Piles of junk along with GM’s customer service.
I went through the very same thing with gm and the A8, the gm rep and cs are useless, after 42 days in the shop and a threat of a lemon law suit it was escalated to the executive office and my A8 was replaced in 2 days and I was compensated for loss of use.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:47 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Op, just wondering about something. You’ve had 5 Vette’s, including 2 C7’s, and get you only have 3 posts to any section of this website.

Just curious about how you’ve reached out for fellow owner support / info before your 3 posts?

I’m in a Vette club and have been ranting on their forums. A suggestion was given to move it here.
The c7 is my fifth Vette, not to count the other c7 I had for 2 days before the back end busted.

Last edited by tcinla; 05-05-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,364 Posts

What are the symptoms of the transmission issue that leads you to believe the entire transmission needs replacing? I'm not saying that's not necessarily the repair that needs to be done, but it can also not fix the problem if it's not the source. There are a lot of other items connected to the transmission to make it work, and symptoms that can make someone think it is the transmission.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:58 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

I am a car dealer (Not GM) First off, have you spoken to anyone at the store besides service (General Manager or the Owner if on premise). If not CALL THEM NOW.. 17 days I assume counts weekends? Dealers really do not like unhappy customers.. (contrary to what many believe) Do not rant and rave, that usually is counter productive, explain that 17 days without information is unacceptable, ask the GM/Dealer to get involved and get his customer some help.. You would be surprised what can happen.. Most manufactures have policies and procedures in place for a say transmission issue. Just having a trany problem is not enough to have a new transmission put in the car, the dealer most likely has to try several different repairs first..

I would say 2 weeks is more than enough time to get some kind of answer however.. As a GM of a store I would be on this like white on rice and get my customer some sort or resolution. TWO weeks without some sort of plan is unacceptable by the way.

Call the boss if you have not done so yet (Not the service manager) good luck

Last edited by topper7788; 05-05-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:50 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

I didn’t know that. I know in Arizona we have 3 returns before it’s a lemon. I’ll check on the 30 day rule.
I worry because they keep trying the cheap approach. Thankfully their bandaids aren’t working to fix the issue. I don’t want a car eventually out of warranty that I will have to spend a lot to replace the transmission.
In 2 weeks, they’ve done a fast relearn over and over. They have to drive it a lot during this process from what I have read. My c7 I Love is being stored outside, driven a lot during this process and everyone knows what they’re doing isn’t working.

I take care of my cars and this is unacceptable to me.
Just a suggestion but perhaps you might research the history of negative problems and TSB's involving A8 C7's. I have had similar problems with my C7 Z06 A8 and the surging, slipped shifts, clunks problematic learning algorithms with an unresponsive TCM etc. I reviewed the forums various posts, problems, solutions, resolutions and unresolved issues. The dealership was clueless until I brought in a couple of TSB's and the GM published proposed solutions. My issue has been resolved; for the present.

I am confused about some of your rhetoric though. First you say you have owned five Corvettes, which I have no doubt you have. The last two were C7's that self-destructed immediately, but you went out and bought another of the C7 "junks" after such shitty GM warranty authorization or customers service? What is your preferred solution since they have only used a "cheap" "band aid" approach to your repair? Do you want a rebuilt trans, new trans or new car? Do you want out of the car? Have you stated your position clearly, preferably in writing, up through dealership channels to the top? Chevy Customer Service does work with a designated "customer satisfaction" representative appointed as such at each dealership as a part of the dealership franchise agreement. I too would be concerned about the vehicle storage outside on the lot while in for service. Did you research any known problems of the C7 before making your purchases? Problems with the A8 have been well known and publicized for quite a while. I am not saying you should tolerate the situation but I am certainly curious as to why you call the vehicle the "C7 you love" after such major negative unresolved experiences. Does your dealership have a certified Corvette technician? If so, insist on his/ her involvement. Have a sit down session with the General Manager and or owner. Next contact your zone management personnel directly. If you have contacted Chevy Customer Service, use the case number provided and document all the steps you have taken so you have a cohesive record. Things don't usually happen overnight or on the schedule we like to have. It may not be resolved completely to your satisfaction. If not, try the Better Business Bureau or proceed toward arbitration. In the end there is always a lawyer and civil litigation of a Magnuson- Moss warranty suit. I understand that we all are capable of standing on our own and what I have said in this response may not suit your individual situation. Whatever happens, I sincerely hope the technical issues you have encountered are resolved and you can begin to enjoy that wonderful C7 you own. Good luck finding satisfaction.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:41 PM
Buickenclave2015
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same!

Kent I’m happy you’ve had a good experience. I’m not trying to win anyone over - I’m not in the followers club and have zero problems standing on my own.
GM has been not helpful at all and my NEW c7 is sitting in a repair shop for 17 days now and instead of pulling the transmission, they spent 2 weeks going back and forth trying little computer adjustments. I know enough to know that those adjustments are only done after a transmission repair and since mine is new, all it did is delay me by 2 weeks. I do NOT want a bandaid to fail later, I want my car fixed correctly.

GM customer service has zero connection with GM repair authorization department. GM cs only calls the dealership to see where they’re at. The dealership is as frustrated as I am. It’s not just my car. The purpose of GM cs is to call the dealership to find out why they aren’t keeping me happy while GM doesn’t do their job.

I dont expect this to make a difference. By your response, I’m thinking you haven’t had to deal with GM in any manner as of yet. 5 vettes Kent, if anyone can sound out about GMs crappy customer service, it’s me. A new car should not be in service, and if they need to be for whatever reason, the manufacturer should not be finding ways to NOT repair them correctly.
my 2015 Buick enclave got two brand new adaptive headlights I payed for the adaptive feature included, gm is throwing me in a loop while the Right side adaptive motor is diagnosed as defective from manufacturer, I'm in the same loop as u, gm shouldn't exist tbh
The following users liked this post:
Aenigma (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 07:04 PM
Aenigma
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
Just a suggestion but perhaps you might research the history of negative problems and TSB's involving A8 C7's. I have had similar problems with my C7 Z06 A8 and the surging, slipped shifts, clunks problematic learning algorithms with an unresponsive TCM etc. I reviewed the forums various posts, problems, solutions, resolutions and unresolved issues. The dealership was clueless until I brought in a couple of TSB's and the GM published proposed solutions. My issue has been resolved; for the present.

I am confused about some of your rhetoric though. First you say you have owned five Corvettes, which I have no doubt you have. The last two were C7's that self-destructed immediately, but you went out and bought another of the C7 "junks" after such shitty GM warranty authorization or customers service? What is your preferred solution since they have only used a "cheap" "band aid" approach to your repair? Do you want a rebuilt trans, new trans or new car? Do you want out of the car? Have you stated your position clearly, preferably in writing, up through dealership channels to the top? Chevy Customer Service does work with a designated "customer satisfaction" representative appointed as such at each dealership as a part of the dealership franchise agreement. I too would be concerned about the vehicle storage outside on the lot while in for service. Did you research any known problems of the C7 before making your purchases? Problems with the A8 have been well known and publicized for quite a while. I am not saying you should tolerate the situation but I am certainly curious as to why you call the vehicle the "C7 you love" after such major negative unresolved experiences. Does your dealership have a certified Corvette technician? If so, insist on his/ her involvement. Have a sit down session with the General Manager and or owner. Next contact your zone management personnel directly. If you have contacted Chevy Customer Service, use the case number provided and document all the steps you have taken so you have a cohesive record. Things don't usually happen overnight or on the schedule we like to have. It may not be resolved completely to your satisfaction. If not, try the Better Business Bureau or proceed toward arbitration. In the end there is always a lawyer and civil litigation of a Magnuson- Moss warranty suit. I understand that we all are capable of standing on our own and what I have said in this response may not suit your individual situation. Whatever happens, I sincerely hope the technical issues you have encountered are resolved and you can begin to enjoy that wonderful C7 you own. Good luck finding satisfaction.
I’m good now. 2 transmissions later and since they held my car over 30 days, I got a lemon law attorney and they had to give me $13k for my time. My vette did not have to be deemed a lemon either.
I buy them because I like the way they look, lots of vehicles have issues but they get handled correctly by most other manufacturers. Gm refuses to stand by their customers and don’t admit when they go wrong. That’s the difference.

Quick Reply: GM has the worst customer service ever!