Sponsored by:

C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Come on guys common sense dictates.. All the crazy problems posted here alone tell the story.. The C7 has one stupid problem after another. Cracking windshields. Torque converter disaster paint chipping on the panels. Completely unheard of problems with other cars The C7 is the wiorst by far of any year. Replacing the torque covdrter is a tear down disaster. I own a C7 and they are junk. But for zLl you out there that complain remember GM has had a solid record of problem cars since the 70s THEY JUST DONT HAVE THE PEOPLE OR ABILITY TO COMPETE WITH japanPeriod. Ok np2 lets hear from the not mine group..
Yeah, but the more I think about it, the more I understand the defensive knee-jerk posts here. There's nothing LOGICAL about buying these stupid cars, they're EMOTIONAL. They make zero point zero sense, but we don't buy them with that side of our brains. So I get it I suppose.

The DIFFERENCE is I don't really feel threatened if Corvette reliability is rated as sub-par, the overwhelming probability is that most of us will have trouble free and positive ownership experiences, because in 2018 CARS ARE SO MUCH MORE RELIABLE ACROSS THE BOARD. I can acknowledge that the reliability may suck compared to a Toyota Camry and it doesn't bother me BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE A CAMRY.
The following users liked this post:
VETTE-NV (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
How is it biased if the same sampling method is applied to all vehicles?

Also if you look at the reports in detail, they have a lot more categories than just in-car electronics. The C7 has gotten low scores in many other categories.

It's biased because the sample of OWNERS is skewed and not at all random. It consists of Consumer Reports subscribers ONLY. It is not sampling the total population of owners. The other MAJOR problem is that CR does not show their work. They won't share their methodology and they won't share their numbers so there's no way to check them. It's like they've got this magic box and out spew the results and we're just supposed to trust them. From a scientific point of view, CR is about as reliable as your average astrologer. We've been over these reasons several times in this thread already, but some people still fail to get it.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Caberlee2017
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Last year I traded my 99 on a new 17, I owned the 99 for 19 years I literally NEVER had a repair to the car other than recalls, column lock , seat belt.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:28 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

[QUOTE=patentcad;1597269271]Yeah, but the more I think about it, the more I understand the defensive knee-jerk posts here. There's nothing LOGICAL about buying these stupid cars, they're EMOTIONAL. They make zero point zero sense, but we don't buy them with that side of our brains. So I get it I suppose.

The DIFFERENCE is I don't really feel threatened if Corvette reliability is rated as sub-par, the overwhelming probability is that most of us will have trouble free and positive ownership experiences, because in 2018 CARS ARE SO MUCH MORE RELIABLE ACROSS THE BOARD. I can acknowledge that the reliability may suck compared to a Toyota Camry and it doesn't bother me BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE A CAMRY.[/QUOTE

Well I guess its OK if you want to throw your money at a company that does not give a crap about you. But hey they did not almost go bankrupt because people did not care what they were buying.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

[QUOTE=kaplana08;1597269978]
Originally Posted by patentcad
Yeah, but the more I think about it, the more I understand the defensive knee-jerk posts here. There's nothing LOGICAL about buying these stupid cars, they're EMOTIONAL. They make zero point zero sense, but we don't buy them with that side of our brains. So I get it I suppose.

The DIFFERENCE is I don't really feel threatened if Corvette reliability is rated as sub-par, the overwhelming probability is that most of us will have trouble free and positive ownership experiences, because in 2018 CARS ARE SO MUCH MORE RELIABLE ACROSS THE BOARD. I can acknowledge that the reliability may suck compared to a Toyota Camry and it doesn't bother me BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE A CAMRY.[/QUOTE

Well I guess its OK if you want to throw your money at a company that does not give a crap about you. But hey they did not almost go bankrupt because people did not care what they were buying.
If you're trying to talk me into a Camry, it's not working.

I have a Prius Prime and a Subaru Crosstrek, two of the most reliable cars on the road. If the C7 represents me pushing the outer edge of the car ownership envelope, I'm willing to suck it up and do it for America.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Well, you did, right? I've never expected a company to "give a crap" about me. I don't want to be their new BFF. I want them to make a product I want to buy and I want them to stand by their warranty. If they do that, then I might want to buy another of their products. Other than that, spare me the drama. But that's not the issue here. The issue is a reliable source of product information. I maintain that CR is not, but if you want to consider their opinion, by all means go head, or consult an astrologer. Whatever you want. Just don't expect to convince everyone else that your choice of using CR is a valid one.

Last edited by mschuyler; 05-24-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:07 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Here’s what I think.

I think that the only ones that respond to these surveys are those who have problems. The vast majority of us C7 owners are too busy driving and enjoying them to bother with CR let alone respond to some survey. I know I didn’t respond to any survey and I couldn’t be any happier with my Little Blue Vette illustrated below...

I disagree with your statement. I used to say the same thing. I owned a Porsche Boxster, and all the forums screamed about blown engines due to failed Intermediate Shaft Bearings. I discounted them for the same reason, saying that you only hear from the people who had problems. Then, you guessed it... I blew my engine with the very same failure.

My C6 had the infamous harmonic balancer failure, same thing. I had heard about it for years, and discounted it until it happened.

Not to say I'm EXPECTING problems, (Only had my C7 for a month) but I do pay attention to these surveys
Old 05-26-2018, 12:35 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

People who trust anecdotes over data need to be bopped over the head.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by IRMB

Anecdotes aren't as good a hard data, but can be far better than nothing.

It wasn't until after WWII that the aviation industry had much good data about the forces and stress involved when you fly an airplane into a thunderstorm, but the anecdotal information was enough to say "smart people don't fly into thunderstorms".

GM has good data (mostly) about Corvette problems, but they don't release it to the public. Even then, things like the bent-wheel numbers on the GS cars don't get into the database because the dealer typically says "you hit something too big, it's your fault and not a defect in the wheel design". The customer may know better but very few escalate their case and so GM never sees the real numbers.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by IRMB

and I think there is a fairy and a rabbit somewhere close.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:35 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by I Fly Low
I disagree with your statement. I used to say the same thing. I owned a Porsche Boxster, and all the forums screamed about blown engines due to failed Intermediate Shaft Bearings. I discounted them for the same reason, saying that you only hear from the people who had problems. Then, you guessed it... I blew my engine with the very same failure.

My C6 had the infamous harmonic balancer failure, same thing. I had heard about it for years, and discounted it until it happened.

Not to say I'm EXPECTING problems, (Only had my C7 for a month) but I do pay attention to these surveys
Fair enough.

But did CR specify the reasons they gave the C7 such a poor mark? Poorly placed cup holders? Difficulty getting in and out? Too much road noise? Poor rearward vision? Interior cabin space on the small side?

I guess I could get a copy and read for myself, but I’m sure I’ll hear about it pretty soon right here.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:07 AM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very familiar looking pier and building. Location? I'm in Olympia.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:54 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by touring2
Very familiar looking pier and building. Location? I'm in Olympia.
Just who are you addressing in a dead thread?
Old 12-02-2022, 08:55 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Necro thread of 4 years.

Quick Reply: C7 Rated Much Worse For Reliabiltity Than C6 and C5