Sponsored by:

I am so pissed off right now.. How to proceed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:55 AM
born2beS12
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kickster
I should have been more clear. It is not a bump, its an uneven pavement that jolt the suspension very hard if I go quick.
Have you ever seen what they drive these cars across at the end of the assembly line? its a series of 2 inch bumps to settle the suspension, and they dont go over them slowly either.

your condo dues should go towards maintanence of the property including the entry roads. if the uneven pavement is enough to cause damage going over it at a appropriate speed then they need to fix it as well
Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 1of38
I'd bet there are camera(s) on that area.

Get the property management group to burn the footage of the incident to a USB thumb drive so you and the insurance people can see exactly what happened and why it happened.
How many feet of footage will fit in a USB drive? How many feet long is a 3MB video file, anyway?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM
kickster
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Contacted condo corp this morning and before I even finish explaining they got defensive and started to read the condo rules and regulation and how everything is responsibility of the driver and they are not required to put on any sensor etc etc,.
She said they have never paid any damages as the result and they wont approve it. I could not believe how defensive she got as if she is paying out of her own pocket. I doubt I am going to put a claim through. Looks like I will have to deal with it myself
Old 05-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Take it to a quality dealer or repair shop and have it fixed. The insurance issue is most likely not worth it unless it will cost thousands of dollars to fix.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:15 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Take it to a good detail shop in your area. They should be able to rub all that out.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Contacted condo corp this morning and before I even finish explaining they got defensive and started to read the condo rules and regulation and how everything is responsibility of the driver and they are not required to put on any sensor etc etc,.
She said they have never paid any damages as the result and they wont approve it. I could not believe how defensive she got as if she is paying out of her own pocket. I doubt I am going to put a claim through. Looks like I will have to deal with it myself
Withold you monthly assessment.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:57 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Looking at your photo I think clay bar will take it off. I would try that first. A good detail shop could get it off by wet sanding and buffing it.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

So what they are saying is they have every right to damage everyone's car.

It sounds like their little charade has gotten them off the hook before. I would get it fixed yourself then, send them the bill, and if they decline to pay, sue them in small claims court. Another option is contact the condo Board of Directors. Most condo complexes are managed by outside companies. The Board of Directors can fire the management company if they don't support the residents. The Board of Directors is voted in by the residents.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-14-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Homeboy981
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I would get it fixed yourself then, and then sue them in small claims court.
Th is exactly how I prevailed!

Management claimed they were not at fault, even though others were hit by same gate. My insurance company fixed my vehicle and subrogated to their insurance company who paid everything (after I sued them), including my out of pocket deductible. Any other people's cars get taken out the way yours did?

Don't get mad....take them to court!
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (05-15-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:37 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

i would tie a rope on the gate and car and drive away and pull it down.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

That would get me digging my heals in even more. Keep in mind there first reaction was never going to be “yes”. Keep on them...squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Collect a check from them. Then polish the paint to remove the white.
Looks to be ok then replace the spoiler!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:37 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

If you are in Toronto I recommend taking the car to Champion Motors. They fixed a key scratch in my 2016 LBR vert last summer and did a great job.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default any footage?

Originally Posted by owc6
Methinks if the gate hit you before you cleared the area, then it is the condo's responsibility. Not you, not YOUR insurance co.
The gate shouldn't come down on any car whilst it is still in the danger area of the arm.

I'd go after their ins. not press a claim through you own.
Anything on video to watch?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Anything on video to watch?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:26 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Those gates have a wire under the asphalt that senses the metal mass of the vehicle. There is one in front of the gate to sense when a vehicle arrives at the card reader. Once the rear of the vehicle passes the sensor, it knows to close the gate to keep another vehicle from piggy backing behind you. When you drove very slow and cleared the sensor with the rear of your vehicle, the gate closed right on top of your car. Not sure if it uses a timer or another sensor, but it assumed you had already gone completely through.

These gates will knock people off their motorcycles, so almost every lot that uses gates, forbid motorcycles. That's because motorcycles are short in length, so the motorcycle will clear the sensor right when your head gets to the gate. That will either hit you in the head, or come down in front of you and knock you off the bike as you ride though. If you can get it back in gear fast enough, you can make it through before the gate comes down. You have to put the bike in neutral to use your gate card because your left hand controls the clutch. And it is difficult to pull in the clutch with a gate card in your hand.

Going slow is the worse thing you can do with those automatic gates. They aren't calibrated for someone wanting to baby their car over a bump. I will be surprised if they take the blame for this.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:43 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
That would get me digging my heals in even more. Keep in mind there first reaction was never going to be “yes”. Keep on them...squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Damn straight...that woman at the condo would've set a whole new level of determination with that response.

OP, if you don't get it resolved, I guess you are never parking at your condo again, or you just have to speed over that absurd concrete work at the entrance and damage your underside?

All hell would break loose if that were me. Some battles are worth fighting, some not....but given her rude reaction, it'd be on.

Get notified of new replies

To I am so pissed off right now.. How to proceed

Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe it's time to move to another condo too. Just a thought.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Somewhat surprised by those ready to get a lawyer (which will no doubt cost more that the fix,) blame the "condo association," understand exactly how that gate works with sensors under the ground, know the condo association has insurance (and assuming if they do there is no deductible,) move, etc,

Reminds me of a Condo I owned in CT where they elected to hire a firm to manage the funds/services (which we all paid for) and the "managing firm" at a quarterly meeting was promoting adding services to "fix faucet washers and other minor problems!" Sure that could be done and they make 10 to 20% of what it cost AND the association members could pay for it! My fiend and I offered to fix dripping faucets for the "old folks" who did not know how! Stopped that extra cost!

Would appear possible it is just a simple gate operated with a timer! Would also wonder why the OP continued to drive when the gate came down instead of getting out and calling someone or pushing up on the gate etc. It looks like the marks may be some paint from the bottom of the gate. 1st thing I would do is get a wax with a mild cleaner and see if I could remove whatever.

Just Sayn'

Last edited by JerryU; 05-16-2018 at 06:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
born2beS12 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:31 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Fools hire attorneys up front...you have a broad, BROAD range of options without ever speaking to one. I caused a management company to lose a 280 unit plan, and I did it without one attorney. Property manager kicked back in his chair and told me, "sue us if you feel like it, think I haven't heard it all before? I could make a phone call and have 5 attorneys on the phone, shall I call a few?" I responded, "That'd be me playing your game, your days in this office are numbered." 7 months later, he lost his job and the management company lost the entire contract.

It's not a skill easily acquired, but once you know how the world works and how to make various systems work your way...it's all about the con...fidence.

Getting money out of an organization by going to war in a courtroom either requires you have a ROCK solid case with very clear and present damages OR you exploit their weaknesses where they think you don't know they have them.

Fact is 100%, in a corporate setting, people become complacent and mismanagement is everywhere. A chain is as strong as the weakest link, so you have to find the link. Next, a big corporate entity like that may have resources, but there are other entities that have many more. At the same time, there are multiple interests at play, and contracts on the line between management company/ownership/etc.

I'd start with the k.i.s.s. and file a police report to document the incident (would've been wise to do that to start). Before anyone says otherwise, I worked for PD for years...yes, file a police report. All youre doing is documenting the incident with an agency whose word is fact. Begin by working the officer, playing on his side...see if he is a car guy, tap into his sense of justice...it's there...he'll write up the report emphatically if you can do so. Huge influence over the entire situation can be had by doing that.

Next, you divide and conquer...question the property manager, grill her, talk about the police report and potential safety hazards. Talk about speaking to other condo owners/renters who also have had damages. In addition, I'd point out to her, if I have to go to court, I'll name you specifically in the complaint as the party responsible for these damages. I'll make it known internally within your company, that you've allowed this gate, which has been complained about many times, to damage multiple tenants. I'd say I have 10+ tenants that are going to arrange a meeting to discuss options.

A job in her position, is about continuity...day to day...collect a paycheck. When you start to threaten the safety of that paycheck, desperation and fear sets it. People think the company will back them, but a property manager is expendable...remind her of that fact.

I could write a book...I've done it more times than I can count. I haven't won 100% of the time, no one does..but my batting avg is damn good...and I have won ones that I shouldn't have.

Where there is a will, there IS a way. Running the ball up the middle when the other team knows it's comin...ain't the way to win when they have a solid defensive line. It's all about the flea-flicker, executed masterfully, that'll cost them the big game.

Quick Reply: I am so pissed off right now.. How to proceed