C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know of an installation video showing how to install GM OEM side skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM
BMF82
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Does anyone know of an installation video showing how to install GM OEM side skirts?

I have a 2015 Z51 and I am planning to buy OEM GM Carbon Flash Side Skirts. I have not been able to find a video showing how to install them. Does anyone know of one? Also not sure what hardware comes with them or what is required to install them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by BMF82; 05-18-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:25 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 684 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Have you tried a search on YouTube? I seem to recall seeing several on there when I was looking for install videos for my front splitter.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:31 AM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by DWS44
Have you tried a search on YouTube? I seem to recall seeing several on there when I was looking for install videos for my front splitter.
I have looked at YouTube, but the videos are for aftermarket side skirts and not OEM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:35 AM
3AD2the31
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82
I have a 2015 Z51 and I am planning to buy OEM GM Carbon Flash Side Skirts. I have not been able to find a video showing how to install them. Does anyone know of one? Also not sure what hardware comes with them or what is required to install them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
I am presently preparing to instal OEM 3/4 side skirts. The Z51 is different from the base as the rockers have cooling lines running inside them front to rear. There are bulletins on the location and warnings as to only drill 12mm so as not to puncture a line. Because of this I plan on having the dealer install and be his worry.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 801 Likes on 383 Posts

It's the same process as aftermarket. Remove the outer bolts, line up the sideskirt, clamp in place, screw on bolts and rivet.

Wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit about 0.25" from the tip to act as a stop so you don't drill into any underlying lines.

Last edited by Pineapple; 05-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:41 AM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by 3AD2the31
I am presently preparing to instal OEM 3/4 side skirts. The Z51 is different from the base as the rockers have cooling lines running inside them front to rear. There are bulletins on the location and warnings as to only drill 12mm so as not to puncture a line. Because of this I plan on having the dealer install and be his worry.
Great to know. What is the dealer charging you for the install? Also did you buy the side skirts from the dealer or from a website? Do you mind sharing what you paid?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:33 PM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a set I haven't installed, directions and rivets come with it .I'm considering stainless self tapping screws 1/2 or 5/8 in length. Your supposed to drill 1/2" (12mm) deep holes for the rivets no deeper gm part # 84113135 and 84113136

Last edited by cuspid; 05-18-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:44 PM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by cuspid
I have a set I haven't installed, directions and rivets come with it .I'm considering stainless self tapping screws 1/2 or 5/8 in length. Your supposed to drill 1/2" (12mm) deep holes for the rivets no deeper gm part # 84113135 and 84113136
The part numbers you provided are not for the carbon fiber side skirts. They are just a composite material painted carbon flash. That might actually be okay, but according to GM they do not fit the 2015. The model number I am considering is Exterior Trim, Rocker Panel - GM (84139819), and these also do not fit the 2015 according to the site. Is this because side skirts were not available in 2015 or because there is something different about how they would be attached to the car? I cannot find the answer to this question.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:33 AM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by cuspid
thanks the the heads up on these skirts. Saved a lot of money going this route compared to buying the carbon fiber ones. I also bought this 3M tape and plan to use the 2 screws on the front and back of the rocker panels. Worst case I can always reattach with rivits. Here is a link.
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-19-2018, 09:08 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,746 Likes on 6,713 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82
[left]
I also bought this 3M tape and plan to use the 2 screws on the front and back of the rocker panels. Worst case I can always reattach with rivits. Here is a link.
FWIW and only my opinion. Did not do my Grand Sport full length Stage 2 areo skirts but watched when in the service bay as the C7 Tech drilled the 13 holes per side and used the GM rivets.

I'd definitely use rivets and NOT screw into the aluminum frame! I would also NOT use tape! When I installed my full length LG Motorsports carbon fiber skirts on my 2014 Z51 I used rivets as recommended. You should just be drilling into the composite rocker panels. I inserted a thin piece of metal behind the rocker panel so the drill did not go in to far. Could use a drill stop, a piece of hose slipped over the drill bit that only exposes a 1/2 inch works fine. The composite drills like butter so it goes quickly with no pressure. A few second press of a battery driven drill is all that is needed!

Mine fit so tight some folks who had used 3M tape said when they saw pics of how well they fit went and used rivets. However the tape just makes the final fit poorer! In the 2014 I brushed the skirts getting out several times and was very thankful I used rivets!

No big deal to use rivets and you'll be using the OEM screws to have the skirts in position BEFORE you drill. No guessing where to drill. The GM rivets come with a large head. With my 2014 I use stainless fender washer under the rivet head to accomplish the same thing.

Before drilling my 2014 I inserted a piece of sheet metal behind the OEM rocker panel, there is a gap. Using screws into the aluminum frame would bend the rocker panel and even if using Scrivets they will stick out too far behind them. This PDF with may pics may be useful: http://netwelding.com/Side_Skirts.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 05-19-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 AM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
FWIW and only my opinion. Did not do my Grand Sport full length Stage 2 areo skirts but watched when in the service bay as the C7 Tech drilled the 13 holes per side and used the GM rivets.

I'd definitely use rivets and NOT screw into the aluminum frame! I would also NOT use tape! When I installed my full length LG Motorsports carbon fiber skirts on my 2014 Z51 I used rivets as recommended. You should just be drilling into the composite rocker panels. I inserted a thin piece of metal behind the rocker panel so the drill did not go in to far. Could use a drill stop, a piece of hose slipped over the drill bit that only exposes a 1/2 inch works fine. The composite drills like butter so it goes quickly with no pressure. A 2 second press of a battery driven drill is all that is needed!

Mine fit so tight some folks who had used 3M tape said when they saw pics of how well they fit went and used rivets. However the tape just makes the final fit poorer! In the 2014 I brushed the skirts getting out several times and was very thankful I used rivets!

No big deal to use rivets and you'll be using the OEM screws to have the skirts in position BEFORE you drill. No guessing where to drill. The GM rivets come with a large head. With my 2014 I use stainless fender washer under the rivet head to accomplish the same thing.

Before drilling I inserted a piece of sheet metal behind the OEM rocker panel, there is a gap. Using screws into the aluminum frame would bend the rocker panel and even if using Scrivets they will stick out too far behind them. This PDF with may pics may be useful: http://netwelding.com/Side_Skirts.pdf
Great info. Thank you. Maybe it’s worth drilling then. I’ve gone back and forth so many times now on which skirts to even purchase. I’ve decided to do it right want get the carbon fiber cores painted carbon flash. I don’t want aftermarket. I want a GM OEM part. Does anyone know if this is what I described? https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz

Last edited by BMF82; 05-19-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:43 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,746 Likes on 6,713 Posts

^^
That looks like mine and have purchased from that vendor. They sell Genuine GM stuff.

Price would be right. I debated installing my own aftermarket side skirts before I decided to order the GM option. Could have purchased a bit cheaper BUT they would not have been made from all carbon fiber and the aftermarket folks get a lot of money to paint carbon flash. I ordered the $2995 option that is for the side skirts and splitter (and spoiler extensions.) They come painted carbon flash. If you want visible carbon fiber the option price is $3995. Same carbon fiber but no need to have the cloth perfectly aligned. Same as the OEM visible CF roof $2995 option versus no cost for the painted CF one!

The issue is not just you brushing against them when you get out but passengers. On my 2014 I would tell all passages to watch for the side shirts when they exited. With some who were in it more frequently I know I was sounding like a PIA! But better than a cracked splitter!

No real problem with the GM shape that is tucked in. But just in case-nice to know they are being held on with large head rivets!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-19-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:50 AM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^
That looks like mine and have purchased from that vendor. They sell Genuine GM stuff.

Price would be right. I debated of installing my own aftermarket before I decided to order the GM option. Could have purchased a bit cheaper BUT they would not have been made from carbon fiber and the aftermarket folks get a lot of money to paint carbon flash. I ordered the $2995 option that is for the side skirts and splitter (and spoiler extensions.) They come painted carbon flash. If you want visible carbon fiber the option price is $3995. Same carbon fiber but no need to have the cloth perfectly aligned. Same as the OEM visible CF roof $2995 option versus no cost for the painted one!

The issue is not just you brushing against them when you get out but passengers. On my 2014 I would tell all passages to watch for the side shirts when they exited. With some who were in it more frequently I know I was sounding like a PIA! But better than a cracked splitter!

No real problem with the GM shape that is tucked in. But just in case-nice to know they are being held on with large head rivets!
Thank you very much. About to make my purchase now.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (05-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know of an installation video showing how to install GM OEM side skirts?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know of an installation video showing how to install GM OEM side skirts?