Sponsored by:

Lost to a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I think *some* of it is a natural push back because there are seemingly a lot of Tesla True Believers who insist that the Tesla is a 'sports car' just because it has very high torque electric motors, regardless of the fact those motors are bolted to a 2.5 ton 'sedan' chassis. Your own statement implies that the Tesla is a "muscle car -- just not a traditional one" -- a statement that a lot of enthusiasts would disagree with.

Another component of the pushback is probably the condescension and elitism that is attached to much of the whole electric car movement, especially apparent in many (though certainly not all) Tesla and Prius owners. To these folks, if you are not a rabid fan of electric cars, then you are some sort of backwards rube who just doesn't know any better, or an evil entity who hates the earth and wants to kick kittens and poison the climate. There is no room in their minds for rational people to disagree.

Again, your own observation that people expressing dislike for Tesla as being "bent out of shape", and thus implying irrationality on their part.
I think Kent gets it. It's not so much the car itself but the people surrounding the car. It reminds me of the last episode of Grand Tour I watched where Jeremy Clarkson describes why he doesn't like Tesla. It's not the car itself he dislikes, it's the fact that Elon Musk tried to sue Top Gear because Jeremy gave the Model S a less than stellar review. That'll put a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

When I met people who bought a Tesla, they did so because of the incredible acceleration and insignificant maintenance costs. (Especially in comparison to the BMW 7 series and Mercedes S-Class sedans). None of these people were considering a Corvette as an alternative option. In fact, very few of the Tesla buyers that I have come across seemed to be interested in cars. They tend to be business owners or officers in the military with long morning commutes. In my opinion, the Tesla is primarily a "Techie" car, as opposed to a "car guy" car. It's a go-machine for the iPhone generation. I can see where a traditional "car guy" would see this as a sort of elitism or eco-snobbery. But again, I think the paradigm of the average Tesla buyer is different than that of the average Corvette or Porsche buyer.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I admire the car and technology that has gone into it. As said above many times, it is the car of the future. One step beyond that is the integration of "autonomous" vehicles that will eventually replace ALL of the cars we see today. Next-door to my work place in Michigan is the new autonomous testing track that ALL of the major auto manufactures have put LARGE investments into the technology. If you pay attention you can see where this is taking all of us. Follow the $$$. An auto production expert the other day said in 50 years or LESS, it will be illegal to take a dumb car like ours on the road; same as you don't see horse buggy's on the interstate. Technology and computer tech is expanding exponentially every year. I'm old and won't see it, but my grand kids certainly will. Till then, I'll keep my C7 and enjoy the V8 rumble, and I'll certainly pass on stoplight to stoplight against a Tesla.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:51 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
Were you around in 1973 and had to wait on line at a gas station for up two days just to get gas ? I have. That Tesla would plug in at home and laugh at you as he drove by. Don't get me wrong I love my C6. My C6 and Honda dirt bike are the only thing's I have that run on Gasoline. Tesla is kinda the future type of cars and their here to stay. Sorry.
Hmmm

I recall in the aftermath of Superstorm sandy we had no power for almost 3 weeks in my entire neighborhood and most all of Long Island- It would take a week for a gas generator to top off a tesla. Gas was short but i was able to get it- when the electric car is done it done. I was able to siphon gas from my old mb (almost like a 16 gallon cannister) and had a few 5 gal cannisters that allowed me fuel to run up to Ct to top off and refill the canisters. NO amount of AAA batteries will save you there.
The following 2 users liked this post by plmmd:
ls7plus (05-30-2021), Mike Mercury (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
If the range was actually 620 then I think it could be an awesome car.
Back in 2015 Musk said that Tesla would have a 600 mile range by 2017. It's now 2018 and Tesla's latest product(Model 3) only gets 220 miles(base model 3) or 310 mile range for an additional $9,000.

Musk is big on making promises that don't pan out.

PS- those range numbers that Tesla throws out are best scenario. Real world driving(like driving at 85 MPH on I-90 across Montana when the temp is 10 degrees and you want some heat in the car) won't get you anywhere near those numbers.

I get 30 MPG out of my 19 year old ICE on the Interstate; that's all the time, any speed and any ambient, not just when I drive at 45 MPH in 70 degree temps with no heat or A/C turned on. A new ICE can get closer to 35-38 MPG on the Interstate, meaning one can still drive further than 150 miles without range anxiety, plus I don't have to plan my life around where a Tesla Supercharger is located. Can't find a Tesla Supercharger when you need one? Then plug your Tesla into a standard 110VAC receptacle and it will take one hour of charge to get 5 miles of range, or plug into a special 220 VAC receptacle(still difficult to find when you need a charge) and get 25 miles of range for each hour of charge.

Me, I'll take stopping at one of the over 100,000 gas stations in the USA and "waste" 5-10 minutes to get another 450-500 miles of driving range.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-31-2018 at 10:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
68roadster (06-14-2018), ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Also I frequent I 95 in connecticut and so often see the super charger parking spots occupied by minivans or hyundais- that would tick me off. Another time i was at the delaware rest stop very late at night on i 95 and there was a tesla charging and the driver asleep inside- hmmm thats not particularly safe as there were very few cars around
Old 05-31-2018, 10:27 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
Also I frequent I 95 in connecticut and so often see the super charger parking spots occupied by minivans or hyundais- that would tick me off. Another time i was at the delaware rest stop very late at night on i 95 and there was a tesla charging and the driver asleep inside- hmmm thats not particularly safe as there were very few cars around
I read that even Tesla doesn't like Tesla owners spending time at their Superchargers. You have 5 minutes of "free" time after your Tesla is charged to unplug it. After 5 minutes, Testa starts charging your credit card a pretty hefty sum($0.40 /minute). Nothing like sitting down and having a meal in a nearby restaurant(odd chance that it's meal time that happens to coincide to when your Tesla needs Charging and there happens to be a Tesla Supercharger nearby to a decent restaurant), when your phone tells you that your Tesla is charged and you have to leave the restaurant in the middle of your meal, to go move your Tesla.

Sleeping at a rest stop on I-95. LOL. I'm old and my body does not like trying to get some sleep in uncomfortable situations. I would prefer to spend 5-10 minutes, while awake, in a busy gas station(ie; safe), to fuel my ICE, and then stop at a motel for a hot shower and 8 hours of comfortable sleep in a king size bed.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-31-2018 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Back in 2015 Musk said that Tesla would have a 600 mile range by 2017. It's now 2018 and Tesla's latest product(Model 3) only gets 220 miles(base model 3) or 310 mile range for an additional $9,000.

Musk is big on making promises that don't pan out.

PS- those range numbers that Tesla throws out are best scenario. Real world driving(like driving at 85 MPH on I-90 across Montana when the temp is 10 degrees and you want some heat in the car) won't get you anywhere near those numbers.

I get 30 MPG out of my 19 year old ICE on the Interstate; that's all the time, any speed and any ambient, not just when I drive at 45 MPH in 70 degree temps with no heat or A/C turned on. A new ICE can get closer to 35-38 MPG on the Interstate, meaning one can still drive further than 150 miles without range anxiety, plus I don't have to plan my life around where a Tesla Supercharger is located. Can't find a Tesla Supercharger when you need one? Then plug your Tesla into a standard 110VAC receptacle and it will take one hour of charge to get 5 miles of range, or plug into a special 220 VAC receptacle(still difficult to find when you need a charge) and get 25 miles of range for each hour of charge.

Me, I'll take stopping at one of the over 100,000 gas stations in the USA and "waste" 5-10 minutes to get another 450-500 miles of driving range.
Thank you for that dose of reality.
ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:04 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

I will grant that the vette range is limited when you cant open the fuel filler door-
DWillys (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:09 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
No, that isn't "all a Tesla can do."
I'm talking performance, which is what this thread is about. A big Tesla can't handle its way of a paper bag. The Model 3 is better but it's no sports car.

I have no gripe with a Tesla, but comparing it to a Corvette is silly. Different car completely. I love them, I think they're well designed, very innovative products. I'm rooting for them, I hope they don't go under.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:26 AM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

LOL. A bunch of midwestern yokels talking about Tesla makes for good entertainment.
The following 2 users liked this post by HPT:
1stTimeforEverything (05-31-2018), Mister Big (07-28-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
LOL. A bunch of midwestern yokels talking about Tesla makes for good entertainment.
RE: case #87 -- the charges of e-car elitism and condescension -- The prosecution rests.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Atomic6 (08-03-2018), ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:55 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

(Originally Posted by Kent1999
"there are seemingly a lot of Tesla True Believers who insist that the Tesla is a 'sports car' ")

SunSalem: Who the hell says that????
If you're talking about non-car nuts, then maybe so.
But their expertise on the subject of "sports car" is not so much.
Lots of people, including those on this very forum. I'm sure you won't have to look very hard to find your own examples here.

(Originally Posted by Kent1999: "Another component of the pushback is probably the condescension and elitism that is attached to much of the whole electric car movement, especially apparent in many (though certainly not all) Tesla and Prius owners. To these folks, if you are not a rabid fan of electric cars, then you are some sort of backwards rube who just doesn't know any better, or an evil entity who hates the earth and wants to kick kittens and poison the climate. There is no room in their minds for rational people to disagree.")

SunSalem: Stereotyping is an ugly thing.
Besides...who the fnck really cares what others think anyway?
Are we men or are we mice?
Don't care what others *think* in the physical world, but this is a discussion forum. Ideas are stated, and others respond. Not like I walk down the street with a sign berating e-car fans.

Also check post #70 in this very thread for evidence:
Originally Posted by HPT

Last edited by Kent1999; 05-31-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:43 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
I live 45 miles from Times Square surfer boy. I have several friends who own Teslas and I've driven the cars. Like I said, I like them, but comparing a Tesla to a Corvette is like doing a cigarette boat vs. cabin cruiser shoot-out.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

A simple challenge to TSLA owners here will highlight the problem with all TSLA cars.

I am willing to race from Red ball garage in New York city NY, to the Portofino Inn in Redondo beach CA for titles. I am willing to give you a 6 hour head start. Any takers ?

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 05-31-2018 at 02:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
jeffs64 (06-01-2018), ls7plus (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:46 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
Hmmm

I recall in the aftermath of Superstorm sandy we had no power for almost 3 weeks in my entire neighborhood and most all of Long Island- It would take a week for a gas generator to top off a tesla. Gas was short but i was able to get it- when the electric car is done it done. I was able to siphon gas from my old mb (almost like a 16 gallon cannister) and had a few 5 gal cannisters that allowed me fuel to run up to Ct to top off and refill the canisters. NO amount of AAA batteries will save you there.
Yes your right and that's a natural disaster. The Oil embargo was created by the politicians and greedy oil companies. It was hard just to find a gas station that had gas. I was in the business So I would fill up at my friends station after it closed at night so I never had to wait. There were cars lined up 50 70 cars at a time to wait for gas. and it doubled in price over night from 60 cents a gallon to $1.25 That would be like $7.00 to $8.00 a gallon right now. Think about that. I'm old but I see future and it's coming. This is what it looks like. All it takes is a little more pissed off people
Attached Images    
Old 05-31-2018, 02:47 PM
HPT
Racer

A simple challenge to TSLA owners here will highlight the problem with all TSLA cars.

I am willing to race from Red ball garage in New York city NY, to the Portofino Inn in Redondo beach CA for titles. I am willing to give you a 6 hour head start. Any takers ?
LOL. Problem with all "TSLA" cars? People who actually can afford these cars have no need to travel 300+ miles by car in one day. That's what airplanes are for. I can't recall the last time I had to make such a trip, but if the situation does arise...I'll take my Range Rover or Mercedes instead of the Tesla.

BTW, there's no need to refer to a company by its ticker. Tesla is a company. TSLA is a stock...one which paid for my ZR1 in 4 days, I might add.
Attached Images  

Last edited by HPT; 05-31-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:53 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by HPT
LOL. Problem with all "TSLA" cars? People who actually can afford these cars have no need to travel 300+ miles by car in one day. That's what airplanes are for. I can't recall the last time I had to make such a trip, but if the situation does arise...I'll take my Range Rover or Mercedes instead of the Tesla.

BTW, there's no need to refer to a company by its ticker. Tesla is a company. TSLA is a stock...one which paid for my ZR1 in 4 days, I might add.
Its a habit …
Looks like you were in at 325 and out at 342 ? For a net of 168k ?
That's a lot of risk for 17 points but its a dam good trade anyway. Nice.
Ya haven't really lived until you ride 10k shares for a few days …

Get notified of new replies

To Lost to a Tesla

Old 05-31-2018, 02:55 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by HPT

Oh btw …. You don't have rights in an airport. Not everyone is willing to submit upon command, and if you are one of those people, then its best to avoid airports.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 05-31-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:14 PM
Trihawk
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
But that's all a Tesla can do. Go fast from a dead stop. Get on a race course or any road with twisties and you can do things in a Z51 that would put any Tesla in the weeds.
FWIW, I participated in an autocross event in 2017 where a Model S put in the 2nd best times all day long (about 15 runs) out of a group of 70. Only a track prepped Lotus Elise was faster.
Xvoyager (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:19 PM
HPT
Racer

Oh btw …. You don't have rights in an airport. Not everyone is willing to submit upon command, and if you are one of those people, then its best to avoid airports.
Good thing I’m not one of those people. Nor do I fly commercial anymore.

Quick Reply: Lost to a Tesla