C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overfilled oil by a half quart...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 AM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

1. Do not panic. You're fine. It's in the owner manual to OVERFILL by 1/2 quart when you go to track. So 1/2 quart isn't going to hurt anything. However, techs SHOULD be more careful.

2. Tech probably used the same oil. When tech is saying "we use the same. it's dexos".. they mean the Mobil 1 dexos. I don't think you have to worry there.

3. Buy yourself a mitivac from amazon. Some stupid friend told me "You should do your oil change with a pump. You don't have to go under a car." This was 10 years ago.. I was driving some stupid import. So I bought a Mityvac pump. BUT since then, I have been using it for overfill etc. You drop in in where the dip stick goes. Suck fluid out. It even measures it for you. Stupid purchase ended up becoming a great back up tool to remove access fluid from anywhere.

Last edited by Metalgearsolid_x; 06-15-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCasey
for z51, in the manual, on page 163 - the manual recommends OVERFILLING by 1/2 quart for competitive events and then says to remove the excess after the event so the dipstick reports normally..

In other words, there doesn't seem to be much of a problem overfilling when your car is a dry sump (I dont see if yours is or not).
As Foosh said that extra 1/2 quart is when Tracking. As you note it clearly says "remove the extra" when the Tracking event is over. The manual also has a Caution, That states:
"Do not add too much oil. Oil levels above or below the acceptable operating range shown on the dipstick are harmful to the engine. If you find that you have an oil level above the operating range, i.e., the engine has so much oil that the oil level gets above the cross-hatched area that shows the proper operating range, the engine could be damaged. You should drain out the excess oil or limit driving of the vehicle and seek a service professional to remove the excess amount of oil."

For the OP, I do all my own oil changes, did for my 3 1/2 year old C7 Z51 and have changed twice in my Grand Sport. Your fear of NOT doing it correctly was unwarranted, it's no big deal- accept it appears for some dealer service folks!

My Grand Sport was overfilled by the Factory by about the amount as yours. I removed almost a full quart as I (and many others) fill to half way between MIN and MAX. I used a brake bleed vacuum pump and small hose through the dip stick access hole. Glad the dealer is making the correction. If for whatever reason you want the dealer or another to change oil, tell them to fill with 9 quarts and give you the 10th. Check the level when you get the car home while it's hot. You'll find you need less than a half quart. For ~60 years I have always filled to the dip stick level, which is what it says to do in the 44 volume Service Manual. It states, "the volume in a table is only and estimate and the dip stick level should be checked!"

You'll also be sure they used Mobil 1! The argument from the mechanic's helper, who often work the oil change bay, of using dexos approved oil is often related to the 55 gallons of dexos approved oil that is pumped from the drum in the oil change service bay. The techs choice is pull a trigger on the fill gun or go to the parts department, check out 10 quarts of Mobil 1 and lug those back to their work station! They take the easy way out! In addition to check the oil in a dry sump the oil must be hot, 175F, which means running the car for ~10 minutes. The they must wait for 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain down from the internal baffles. But they can't go on a coffee break as they cannot wait more than 10 minutes or excess oil will drain back to the oil pan and they will get a false low reading! Wonder how many techs take the time?

Last edited by JerryU; 06-15-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:45 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
The people doing oil changes at a dealer are usually the least experienced/greenest person working on cars. Anyone with experience turning wrenches is put to work on more meaningful jobs. So yeah...

The few times I've taken my car to a dealer for an oil change, I actually hang out in the service bay and supervise. The only reason I even go to a dealer is because they do free oil changes on GM vehicles if you're a veteran.
Really? I am retired Navy, so you are saying chevy dealers will do my oil changes for free?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:54 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Change oil yourself.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by CubPilot
If there is a next time tell them to put in 9 qts & give you the remaining quart so you can top it off yourself ! If you didn't go WOT you may have dodged the bullet. Keep your eye on things. Don't lose the dealer sheet showing how much they put in.

in a wild overfill like this, what could happen? what might I expect to see? hopefully not, but curious..
Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
This is a possibility, IMO. The whole reason for the 500 mile oil change in a dry sump is oil foaming causing the foam to exit the dry sump tank and pass through the hose that burps the air into the air intake tube. From there it runs down to the air cleaner and drips on the floor! The higher the oil in the dry sump tank the more likely oil will go in that path.

All oil has antifoam agents added. It particularly happens in high speed pumps even none auto related. Would think the oil/air scavenge pump that takes oil and air from the pan to the dry sump tank is a likely possibility to promote oil foam.

The reason for the oil change is the silicone from curing engine seals MAY deplete the antifoam agents in the first oil fill (according to the GM bulletin.) However if the oil is high enough in the tank it can pass through that hose as well. There are a number of reports of oil dripping from the air filter after an oil change. Was it 1 extra quart a dealer installed or more? No data. However they have that warning in the Owner's Manual for a reason.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-15-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I run my car on the track with the half quart over filled all the time and I leave it that way between track events. No issues with oil consumption or oil coming out of the air filter. Can't tell you not to worry but in my case I haven't had anything to worry about. It isn't as bad as some people have been led to believe.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Government Pig (10-04-2023)
Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Bill, do you leave 15W-50 in it for street use between track sessions, or have you switched to the new 0W-40 oil?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

My GS was overfilled by about a 1/2 quart when I took delivery - not sure if it was from factory or during dealer prep. Regardless, I drained it out when I got home and at the 500 mile change I asked the service dept to put in 9 containers and give me the extra - when I got home, checked the oil and it was right in the middle of the operating range hash marks, which is right where it should have been when putting in 9 containers of the new 0-40 in the liter containers.

Being over by 1/2 a quart in these engines isn't going to do any damage, especially when GM suggests doing just that for track events. Anything more than that and I'd definitely start to worry. But keeping it in the operating range hash marks is your best bet so why take any chances?
Foosh (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 10:39 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

To the guy asking what is the worst case situation that can result from overfilling you engine with oil - the oil can become aeriated to the point that the oil is no longer pumped throughout the engine, starving the engine of oil which of course can lead to catastrophic results...
Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
My GS was overfilled by about a 1/2 quart when I took delivery - not sure if it was from factory or during dealer prep. Regardless, I drained it out when I got home and at the 500 mile change I asked the service dept to put in 9 containers and give me the extra - when I got home, checked the oil and it was right in the middle of the operating range hash marks, which is right where it should have been when putting in 9 containers of the new 0-40 in the liter containers.

Being over by 1/2 a quart in these engines isn't going to do any damage, especially when GM suggests doing just that for track events. Anything more than that and I'd definitely start to worry. But keeping it in the operating range hash marks is your best bet so why take any chances?
Well said, and exactly what I do. The track-recommended overfill isn't going to burp into the air intake given almost constant high rpm use in that environment. On the street, a slight overfill more than likely isn't going to do that either, but I just don't see the point in taking any chances of that. I'd rather keep the level between the two marks just in case for street use.
JerryU (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Bill, do you leave 15W-50 in it for street use between track sessions, or have you switched to the new 0W-40 oil?
The TSB floating around here this week stated; draining it immediately after your track session(s).
Old 06-16-2018, 05:18 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, love these threads... As a guy who runs a car dealership I can safely say "guys this stuff happens" it is not the end of the world... remember in 99% of the dealerships the "oil change guy" are the low guys in the shop. It is the entry level position, a $30-$40 an an hour master tech is not doing oil changes..

I spent almost an hour on the phone with a guy who when we changed his oil left the cap loose and oil leaked out making a mess on his engine and driveway. We sent a tech and and clean up crew to his house to clean his car and driveway and put the missing oil back in the car, gave him a free future service coupon and a free full detail for his car whenever he wanted it done.

He spent an hour brow beating on the phone me telling me we had to give him a lifetime warranty on his engine. while I was certainly sorry we F'd up, this situation did not merit a lifetime warranty; I explained less than a half quart leaked out, no damage could possibly happen from that. (He drove the car from the store home.) he said how did I know only a half a quart leaked out, my answer was that was how much oil our tech had to put back in the car to fill it... (We took pictures to document it) Anyway this call went on and on, finally ending after I guess the fellow talked himself out and his wife in the background was saying "enough dinner is ready" (yes really)

The take away is sh*t happens, a little overfill or a little under-fill is not going to hurt anything.. If your not comfortable with the dealer doing your service, than do it yourself, or take it to a local shop. By the way they usually pay less to their people then a dealer so in general don't think your getting some master tech there either.

Dealers pay there tech's very well, but the oil change guys are entry level, that is just how it works. And in truth, everyone makes a mistake from time to time..

Last edited by topper7788; 06-16-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Purple92 (06-19-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:28 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788
Dealers pay there tech's very well, but the oil change guys are entry level, that is just how it works. And in truth, everyone makes a mistake from time to time..
Do you think techs are paid an appropriate amount ?
Old 06-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I am a little nervous myself with overfill. It was very hard to tell on the dipstick where the fill was (older eyes and new oil) at my 500 mile change. Best I could tell it looked like it was near the first twist on the dipstick which is above the top dot. Not sure how much that is but I think I will ask them next time to put in 9 quarts and give me the 10th. Didn’t think I needed to do that given how many corvettes they work on but I will ask next time just to be sure. Might also buy the oil extractor but wondered if anyone had advice to make checking oil level easier so I don’t get upset about an overfill if there actually wasn’t one.

Last edited by Demnos; 06-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:30 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'll tell you right now, remove your airbox, there's a good chance that there's going to be oil in it.
orca1946 (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 07:01 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I'll do that to check this week.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer overfilled oil by a half quart...

Old 06-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by themonk
I'll tell you right now, remove your airbox, there's a good chance that there's going to be oil in it.
sorry newb here.. you mean like the air filter box, front right corner of the engine bay?

and if there is oil in it?
Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Demnos
I will ask them next time to put in 9 quarts and give me the 10th. Didn’t think I needed to do that given how many corvettes they work on but I will ask next time just to be sure. Might also buy the oil extractor but wondered if anyone had advice to make checking oil level easier so I don’t get upset about an overfill if there actually wasn’t one.
The 9 quart fill giving you the tenth has additional benefits including reading the oil level!
First you will be fine with 9 quarts as it will be over the MIN level, which is all that is needed.

Second you'll be driving the car home and the oil will get hot which is where you should be checking. Wonder how many mechanics get the oil hot to check the level. In fact wonder how many check the level, which it clearly says to do in the 4 Volume Service Manual. I have done that for ~60 years changing oil! It's the level NOT some volume estimate in a table that is important!

Third when you get it home the new clear oil will have mixed with that left in the engine. The rocker arms hold oil as well as pockets in the head and the oil pump etc. Makes it easier to read. In fact I change my own and don't fill past about 9 quarts and often drive for a few days and then only check and fill to half way in the hatched area between Min and Max.

It is hard to see the level so I check twice and read both sides on the dip stick. I bring it out in the sun and rotate it like if reading a thermometer. The oil will glisten in the sun!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Foosh (06-17-2018), ZZ06 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Do you think techs are paid an appropriate amount ?
First off tech pay in most areas is a supply and demand thing. Tech pay will also vary market to market, union, non union etc.. Brand to brand, Master Mercedes Techs are paid more than Master Chevy techs. (Generally). Techs can make a good living now a days, they are in demand and in general most kids graduating schools are not looking for “blue collar” jobs. (Yes that’s a very general statement). So dealers will go out of there way to recruit and keep good techs..

So as a quick answer, yes I personally believe techs are paid fairly.. I have worked with techs making $150,000 plus per year, and techs that can’t make $30,000.. its kind of like sales people, the goods ones make a good living, the bad ones don’t, and the exceptional ones can make a very good living...

Quick Reply: Dealer overfilled oil by a half quart...