Sponsored by:

C7 front end bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:09 PM
C7_2017
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default C7 front end bra

Hi, all - I (think) I have decided to drive my C7 to New Mexico from DC, rather than having it shipped. As much fun as it will be, I am naturally worried about nicks, etc, from road debris and rocks.

I thought I’d better invest in a front end bra for the trip and am looking for any recommendations or insight from anyone who has used one.

It won’t stay on the car beyond the 4-day trip. Any other suggestions for taking care of her on the road?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

I just bought a NoviStretch bra for my C7 and I love it. I had one for my C5 and it was literally the best $150 I have ever spent. Its mesh, flexible, allows the car to breathe and takes about 20 min to install the screws that it snaps into.

Its $145 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Stingray-NoviStretch-Front-Stretch/dp/B00O9PTPQC/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529086893&sr=1-2&keywords=NoviStretch+Front+Bra https://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Stingray-NoviStretch-Front-Stretch/dp/B00O9PTPQC/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529086893&sr=1-2&keywords=NoviStretch+Front+Bra

Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

My Amazon four star review of the Novistretch bra and the update after using it:
Based on web reviews, I bought the NovaStretch bra for my 2017 Stingray to have an easily stowed method to protect the front end on road trips...
UNBOXING: Out of the box, the item appears to be well made with quality materials. One of the reasons I bought it was for its size and stowability in the limited space available in the car. Included are the bra, instructions and snap head screws that replace existing screws to attach the bra.
INSTRUCTIONS: The instructions are in real English (as opposed to the all too prevalent Chinglish) and have some small black and white pictures of bits of the installation. They describe the process, but are stingy with relevant pictures. YouTube was much more helpful.
INITIAL INSTALLATION: Some assembly required - Need a 7mm socket/wrench , plus #15 and #20 Torx drivers. Initial install took a bit over an hour from getting the tools out to putting them away.
The bra is attached by eight button snaps that fit onto snap head screws that replace OEM hardware - Three in each fender well and two below the front end.
The top of the bra is secured under the front edge of the hood by loops that fit over sheet metal tabs in the front end of the engine compartment.
To cover the lower outer corner of the fender, the bra's lower outboard corners are stretched to sandwich between the lower air dam and the fender (see pics). To do this, the outboard dam-to-fender screw must be loosened to allow the bra to be slid between the dam and the fender to secure it. IMO this is really poor design, as you either leave the screw loose, risking the loss of the screw and the dam slapping against the fender, or re-tighten the screw, requiring a wrench or socket/ratchet every time the bra is removed. Additionally, the stretched material on the corner looks like a failure waiting to happen. A better design would be to replace the dam-to-fender screw with a snap head screw and either modify the hem or add a strap and button snap to pull the fabric taut. (RANT ON - The current design appears to be an afterthought or an "Oops! How we gonna fix THAT?" I'd like to think no competent designer/engineer would think this was a good idea - RANT OFF)
IN USE INSTALL/REMOVAL: Once the hardware is attached the bra installs and removes quickly, but a couple of the snaps required a lot of force to pull them off the snap screws. Installation time - 5 minutes. Removal time 5 - 7 minutes
OVERALL IMPRESSION
Good idea, but design needs improvement to be ready for prime time. The jury is out on its effectiveness and longevity. "Normal" Colgan bras have lasted for over 10 years, but somehow I don't expect that kind of longevity
PROS
Well made, good quality material
Compact storage, light weight
Clever design
Hand washable
CONS
Price - IMO in its current configuration, $80-$90, after fixing corner attach - $100-$120 including "Corvette Tax" [EDIT - Make that $40 considering the loss of front cameras]
Washer heads on the supplied snap screws are half the size of OEM, barely cover the holes, provide little support
Instructions are short of pictures, but can be deciphered - YouTube recommended
Poorly designed lower corner attachments
Difficulty unsnapping some snaps

5/15/18 UPDATE - On a 2500 mile road trip, it worked well for keeping bugs off the front of the car, was easy to install, remove, clean and reinstall. While it is apparent, It didn't register that the bra covers the front cameras, rendering useless an important tool for avoiding contact with curbs and parking lot chocks.
The result was that I was unable to see a curb that I was approaching, which I contacted, dragging the bra under the car which tore a hole in it, and ripped one attaching snap out of the bra and destroyed the Sho N Sto license plate bracket. Since the bra will likely be used on road trips to strange parking locations, not being able to use the front cameras is a serious problem
$200 out of pocket for the destroyed bra and replacement Sho 'n' Sto bracket. Downrated to TWO stars.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 06-15-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

I think that's unfair that you removed two stars. Its not the Bra's fault you hit a curb - honestly its your fault...you were aware of the visual hindrance the bra causes with the cameras and should have avoided curbs accordingly and paid more attention.

The bra does EXACTLY what it claims - it never said it will help you avoid curbs.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (06-17-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:46 PM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

Total fail on the driver, not the bra..

Maxie2U (06-17-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I put a colgan custom bra on my 15. Its heavy vinyl with a flannel backing. I has openings for the air inlets, front plate, and clear plastic to let the emblem show thru. I paid $189 for it. easy install no tools needed. google colgan custom bra. sorry I cant post a pic right now
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 PM
LanceVette
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Everybody has their favorites. For me, I bought the one from Chevy made just for the Vette. Can't remember what I paid except that I got a decent discount 'cause I bought it at the time I bought my Vette. A little bit difficult to install at first, but as time goes on, now seems easy. Good protection.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:29 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

For what YOU want to do, OP, Novistretch is a good option. I have about 14K miles on mine now and have taken 4 long road trips with it. It catches an amazing amount of bugs and keeps them off your paint and out of your radiator and interior. Easy on, easy off, easy clean up. And if you hit a curb with it it's your own damn fault. I don't expect it to last forever, and when it finally ears beyond fixable, I'll get another one.

Last edited by mschuyler; 06-16-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by mschuyler
For what YOU want to do, OP, Novistretch is a good option. I have about 14K miles on mine now and have taken 4 long road trips with it. It catches an amazing amount of bugs and jeeps them off your paint and out of your radiator and interior. Easy on, easy off, easy clean up. And if you hit a curb with it it's your own damn fault. I don't expect it to last forever, and when it finally ears beyond fixable, I'll get another one.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:28 AM
movinlow
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree, the Novistretch is a great option. I used it for the first time on a road trip from Austin to New Orleans, round trip a little over 1,000 miles. It held up great and stopped a lot of debris and bugs.

Before pic

Before pic 2

After pic

After pic 2
Old 06-16-2018, 03:58 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 179 Posts

I love the Novistretch bra but add another level of protection from chips by putting microfiber towels underneath the bra. I've driven to Florida and back from New Jersey eight times in my C6 and C7 (Before the Novistretch was available I used another stretch version) and avoided chips of the paint and debris in the radiator section
Old 06-16-2018, 05:39 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I would cover your Mirrors Also.The Mirrors have a attraction to anything your nose gets wacked with.You can purchase clear protective film pieces.
Pro installed or not.You got skirts? If not,side protection is just as important.Film it or at least mud guards.The tires love to throw debris.
Protect now or Pisted off Later...Have a Safe Chip free trip
Old 06-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Whatever you buy DO NOT buy the GM bra. It's a pitiful design. The top section at the wheel well openings will not stay in place. No matter what I did the dang thing kept slipping down. I also bought a Colgan as it has a small strap/hook that connects to the inside wheel well cover to keep it up, and tight.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-16-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:50 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

It's a great product and keeps bugs out of the grill , AC condenser and rad!

For those with Stage 3 winglets bought some snap extensions that may also be useful for those with a large splitter. replaced side snaps with 1 inch long snap screws and some washers where needed.

Can buy snap extensions in any Marine store or Amazon.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:53 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Make your own extension with a snap kit and some nylon straps. You can buy the snap kit and nylon strap on Amazon.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,596 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
I think that's unfair that you removed two stars. Its not the Bra's fault you hit a curb - honestly its your fault...you were aware of the visual hindrance the bra causes with the cameras and should have avoided curbs accordingly and paid more attention.
The bra does EXACTLY what it claims - it never said it will help you avoid curbs.
I often wonder what some Corvette owners did to keep from running up on obstacles prior to the recent availablty of front cameras?

I've been driving/parking Corvettes for over 40 years and have never hit an obstacle yet. It's simply a process of knowing the visual limitations and being able to judge distance and compensating.

Anyway, I've been considering purchasing a bra for some time, however wondering if the material scratches/mars C7's finish, especially around the bra's edges?
I've only used one some years ago on a black 911 and upon removing the bra had a complete outline in the finish of where bra had been installed? Fortunately, I was able to buff the scratches out but never used one since.

In examining the Novistreach last year at Carlisle, does seem like the attachment methods have come a long way.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:14 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I often wonder what some Corvette owners did to keep from running up on obstacles prior to the recent availablty of front cameras?

I've been driving/parking Corvettes for over 40 years and have never hit an obstacle yet. It's simply a process of knowing the visual limitations and being able to judge distance and compensating.

Anyway, I've been considering purchasing a bra for some time, however wondering if the material scratches/mars C7's finish, especially around the bra's edges?
I've only used one some years ago on a black 911 and upon removing the bra had a complete outline in the finish of where bra had been installed? Fortunately, I was able to buff the scratches out but never used one since.

In examining the Novistreach last year at Carlisle, does seem like the attachment methods have come a long way.
Bought my first corvette in 1985. I have never hit the front on anything parking. However, I always back it in. That way I know I will not hit the front.

When I got the new 18 Grand Sport to replace my 14 Z51 I was excited about the front cameras. They do work well for pulling in forward, but its a pain to get to them. 98% of the time, I find it easier to still back the car in.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 front end bra

Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

My GM Bra failed exactly the same way.
Bought the Colgan bra, softer backing material , much better construction and after four 1500 mile road trips is as good as new...no issues.

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Whatever you buy DO NOT buy the GM bra. It's a pitiful design. The top section at the wheel well openings will not stay in place. No matter what I did the dang thing kept slipping down. I also bought a Colgan as it has a small strap/hook that connects to the inside wheel well cover to keep it up, and tight.

Rebel Yell (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_2017
Hi, all - I (think) I have decided to drive my C7 to New Mexico from DC, rather than having it shipped. As much fun as it will be, I am naturally worried about nicks, etc, from road debris and rocks.

I thought I’d better invest in a front end bra for the trip and am looking for any recommendations or insight from anyone who has used one.

It won’t stay on the car beyond the 4-day trip. Any other suggestions for taking care of her on the road?

Thanks!
Do you have the Z-06 or C7 Stingray. I have a bra for both the Z-06 and the Stingray as they are a little bit different, if you have a need for the Z-06 style let me know I have one for sale $65 + shipping. it has been used about six time and is in extremely good shape.

PM me if you would like it.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by 767guy
My GM Bra failed exactly the same way.
Bought the Colgan bra, softer backing material , much better construction and after four 1500 mile road trips is as good as new...no issues.

I haven't used mine yet, but will on a road trip in Sept. I'm happy to hear it will do the job. And you are correct, the Colgan is a much better built, and designed bra.

I bought the GM bra because of the positive experience I had with the C6 version GM bra. But, the C7 GM bra was a complete failure. It's thinner with little backing, and crap hooks to hold it in place. They should be ashamed to sell that sorry thing.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-17-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 front end bra