Sponsored by:

Buying used without warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis
Oh man that's exactly what I'm looking for too. I think the big thing is this is a 3lt and a convertible (which adds like 5k alone), both of which I'm not sure I need. where did you find that deal?

Also question for all - coupe or convertible? Not a fan of soft top but a convertible is a convertible. I know you can take off the top of a coupe, but that brings it's own problems.
I did not want the 3lt just because of all the problems with the Dash leather lifting and also I dont like the red dash . I was ok with the vert or hardtop but really wanted a hardtop as I run the car at the track ....

As far as my deal .... I just waited , scoured car gurus every day , searched dealers , 1 month later I stumbled on this car , told my wife it's to good to be true but i am going to look at it . Three hours later , it was as nice as described and I was driving it home

What do u mean taking the top off a couple brings it's own problems ... I have had mine off 100's of times

Dave
Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
As far as my deal .... I just waited , scoured car gurus every day , searched dealers , 1 month later I stumbled on this car , told my wife it's to good to be true but i am going to look at it . Three hours later , it was as nice as described and I was driving it home

What do u mean taking the top off a couple brings it's own problems ... I have had mine off 100's of times

Dave
How far away was the car from you? And was it from a Chevy dealer or just a random? My one worry of not getting it from a Chevy dealer is getting scrwwed. I'm not sure how much a ppi would prevent that.

As for the top, you can either have the top on or off for the entire ride. If it starts raining, I guess you could get out and put it on but that's quite the effort. Also I heard the coupe with the top off has too much wind noise and it hits the part behind your head.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I found my car at an high end exotic car dealership . It ended up that my car was the cheapest car on the lot between the Rolls Royce and Porches .....behind it was every variation of AMG 's that are out there so I was feeling pretty confident . Plus knowing that it still was covered by the 3 year 36 and the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty I was not worried

convertible or hardtop , they all have issues when the top is off , what are you going to do with the convertible if it starts raining lol , you still have to pull over , maybe it takes a minute less to put up the top.....
The secret is if you see rain clouds pull over BEFORE it starts lol
As far as wind noise, I have had both they both are noisy so choose the one you want ....
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 06-19-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I forgot to answer this question , after searching and calling dealers in a 4 state radius.....I found the car less than 20 minutes from my house ....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 06-19-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:52 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

That's true about the rain lol. Yeah I found this one near my house also, but it seems to be a little overpriced. I'll see if I can negotiate, though I kind of want the coupe over convertible.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:25 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Seems like a lot of miles.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Young, you are correct that convertibles are higher than coupes. And, they hold that value. With respect everyone has their idea of what a car sell for, but you are the one that is buying. If the car is what you want, and you think the price is right for you then jump on it. It's difficult to find a pre-owned Corvette that has exactly what you want. So, if this is the one for you, you should consider the fact that you may not find another like it, and may have to settle for something less.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:39 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Young, you are correct that convertibles are higher than coupes. And, they hold that value. With respect everyone has their idea of what a car sell for, but you are the one that is buying. If the car is what you want, and you think the price is right for you then jump on it. It's difficult to find a pre-owned Corvette that has exactly what you want. So, if this is the one for you, you should consider the fact that you may not find another like it, and may have to settle for something less.
Thing is I don't need the 3lt nor the convertible. In fact I may even prefer the coupe. That makes me think I should wait. Right now I'm thinking about just buying the z4 now, and getting a new Corvette in about 4 to 5 years.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I agree with rebel , if you find one that YOU are happy with , that's the only person you have to please

I was looking at a grey vert , beautiful car ...but I did not want Grey ...my wife said while standing next to the car ..." in 6 months you will be looking for a white with Carbon black " I was so glad i listened to her

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Thing is I don't need the 3lt nor the convertible. In fact I may even prefer the coupe. That makes me think I should wait. Right now I'm thinking about just buying the z4 now, and getting a new Corvette in about 4 to 5 years.
Certainly you should do what you feel. Remember though, a Z4 is a far cry from a C7. But, I'm a Corvette guy, and would say that about any other car. Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

WALK AWAY...

Just last week, I bought my 2014, Z51, 3LT, 7-spd, with 36k miles, and I was well under $40k...and its in mint condition inside and out - AND - has a full bumper to bumper warranty from Ally (which GM says is one of the best out there) for the next 3 more years and/or 32k more miles...(which cost me $50 to transfer into my name).

Be patient - dont jump on the first one you see. Base/Z51 C7 owners are starting to dump their cars to upgrade to a Z06 or a ZR1 or they are saving for a C8. This car is out of "negotiating" range - cause even if you offered $40k (which isn't too bad for that car) he will take that offer as an insult.

Good luck with your purchase - the C7 is an amazing car!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:07 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Ok guys I'll wait lol. So if I decide to get one from a private seller (like the for sale section in these forums for example), what steps should I take to make sure it's in good condition?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:14 PM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok guys I'll wait lol. So if I decide to get one from a private seller (like the for sale section in these forums for example), what steps should I take to make sure it's in good condition?
Just what you would do with any other car. Do your research on common problems, look at it in person, take it for a test drive, have a trusted mechanic look it over before handing over money. If seller disagrees with any of these things, there is a good chance they are hiding something.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by naturaldisaster3
Just what you would do with any other car. Do your research on common problems, look at it in person, take it for a test drive, have a trusted mechanic look it over before handing over money. If seller disagrees with any of these things, there is a good chance they are hiding something.

The biggest one is look at it yourself ,don't trust anyone else as what is ok to one person might not be ok to another , check the paint with a fine tooth comb as you are the one who has to live with it , being a used car , its bound to have some things wrong but are they easy to fix like a scratched sill plate or hard , a curbed rim ….

On my car it was the ORANGE PEEL paint that everybody complains about but since I do my own paint correction it was not a big deal for me

pull the car fax , while not 100% its still better than nothing , it will list all the services don't to the car and other things

Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 06:47 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Hmm should I stay away from non local then since I can't keep flying out/driving out decent distances to check out a car I may not get?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Hmm should I stay away from non local then since I can't keep flying out/driving out decent distances to check out a car I may not get?
Depends on where you live , I live on the outskirts of north Atlanta so I set my search in CarGuru to 200 to 300 miles , all within driving distance , then I set email notifications to pop up every time a car met my search fields ... I lost a few as I was not fast enough to contact . I also saw a few that were really rough and a few that they just would not move on the price

My car popped up at 8 am in the morning on a Saturday , I called at 9 as soon as they opened, showed up at 10 , drove it till 11 , brought it to my buddies garage on Monday , drove it again for 2 hours all while talking price and financing .... at 2 I bought the car home .....

Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dcasole
then I set email notifications to pop up every time a car met my search fields
Oh man that's a really good idea!

Get notified of new replies

To Buying used without warranty?

Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 PM
BLACKCREEK
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My first post here. I just bought a 2015 vert from a private seller. I was searching for a c7 vert within 500 miles of Jacksonville Florida for the last six months. I also wanted the manual transmission which really cuts the availability down but that is what I wanted. I paid 39k for the car with 44 thousand miles on it. My limit was 40k on price so it was a tough search. I found the add on craigslist the day it posted and called to see the car the next day. High miles for a corvette so I pulled the vin and ran a carfax then went to the local chevy dealer and they ran all the service and maintenance history they had on the car. Readout gave all the warranty dates and extended fuel pump date etc. I felt very comfortable after seeing the service history that the car was well cared for. The car was owned outright and he was certainly not hurting for money judging from the house and garage set up. As soon as the garage door went up I had a good feeling about the car, it was in pristine condition both inside and out. While out of bumper to bumper coverage the car still showed two years and 100K miles on the powertrain. The local chevy dealer offered the owner 37.5k for the car, I offered 39 which I thought was fair and we shook on it. I did not want that car going to a dealer and getting the price jacked up to 44-45 k like all the rest of them around here. The lowest dealer priced car I could find was a 2014 for 43K but then of course you start reading the fine print and dealer fees, paperwork fees etc quickly jack up the price another 1500 dollars.

The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (06-20-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Oh man that's a really good idea!
Worked great , but I was late on a few and lost them , one popped up at 5:00 PM on a Saturday while I was out having an early dinner with my kids , I texted the dealer and told them I would be there 1st thing on Monday AM … they called me in 5 minuets to say someone had signed a deal on the car in the last 5 minutes .. somebody at the dealership had to know that car was coming in that day …..

same thing happened to a few others so when mine popped up , I did not wait around , I was there when they opened the door ….

Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Don't buy a used C7. Buy new. I was 25 when I bought my 1st Corvette - a new C3. I was earning the equivalent of $130,000.00 annually, so paying cash wasn't a big deal. Don't strap yourself to buy a used Corvette. Go new or wait.

Quick Reply: Buying used without warranty?